Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 4, 2014

October 4, 2014

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 4, 2013, twin scooters.
Five years ago today: October 4, 2009, a generic day.
Ten years ago today: Ten years ago today: temporarily suspended, I will notify you.

MORNING
           Guys, we have not a thing to worry about. The top levels of government have officially announced that the ebolavirus outbreak in Texas is completely under containment and that the Social Security program is not, repeat not, a Ponzi scheme. Whew! On top of that, the FDA says there is nothing dangerous about having genetically modified corn products in 80% of our foodstuffs. Thank god and Washington DC, our worries are over.
           Wait, there’s more good news. Some properties in my price range are appearing, though why this could be at the wrong time of year is still a mystery. But one of my feed conditions is “forced sale” and those tend to come in batches.
           Here is the last one I looked at, a single-wide with one bathroom (two bedrooms), much too small for me. It is twice the size of what I have now. Then again, I was only supposed to be here six months or a year. I want a two-bedroom two bath double-wide. This is, however, similar to what Wallace would have free for nothing today if he had kept his word. Free means taxes and fees paid for him. And it is in West Palm Beach.
           You can’t see it, but this unit is 45 feet long. Let’s do a refresher on my goal. I want a carefree place to retire and that eliminates high taxes and yard work. My track record shows that every penny I don’t spend on a house goes directly into travel and good living. And robots, and sextants, and sidecars, and you get the idea. It would be nuts to write the situation off that I live in a trailer because I have no choice. I’ve got every choice in the world.
           The price on this unit is $29k, which means I could get it for $25k, but I won’t. I can afford a double-wide. But if you like to have money left over after expenses, this is an excellent find. That price includes the land, a quarter acre (taxes around $900 per year) and HOA of $118 per month, so basically you are living for $193 per month cost of occupancy. The fee includes water and they mow the lawns for you. If I moved there, my savings would immediately be around $600 per month.

NOON
           That’s an eye-opener. I dropped in to Hong Shin for my usual treat of the dinner special, $5.29. Includes soup and soda. That’s changed to soup or soda, and the price went up to $8.79. Get used to it, you pensioners. I remember my old economics professor explaining this. Investing takes money out of circulation. Now old people are spending it and we know what happens to prices when money starts appearing again. And the quality of the food is perceptibly worse.
           WWhat’s this, the Islamics have beheaded an Englishman? All I can say to anyone from the west who remained in the Middle East after the Iranian hostage episode in 1979 is too bad for you. So what if they cut off your head? You have no business, let me repeat that, no business being in that part of the world. If you persist, don't come crying to us. We don’t want to hear it. I said, we don’t want to hear it. Damn, those people are not only incredibly stupid, they are deaf as a post.

NIGHT
           A driving rainstorm halved the bingo crowd. While still a success, life has a strange way of balancing things out.