Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 15, 2015

February 15, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 15, 2014, my last duo gig.
Five years ago today: February 15, 2010, I failed twice.
(It was a course in "international" tax, so I chose Canada.)

MORNING
           I continued my examination of the Almanac, watch for a more particularized addendum later today. This is a separate branch than celestial navigation, where the Almanac is merely an adjunct. I am zeroing in on the book to learn its construction. Somebody, in the days before computers, must have gotten all this material straight in his head. I would like at least to know how it was done.
           So that you are reminded this material is independent study and not in the textbook, here is one of the elements one keeps encountering in the study of navigation: astrology. The common theme is the calculation of planetary positions. Here is a page from old Swiss ephemeris, a fancy word for diary. This includes today’s date back 5,000 years ago.

           The only thing I get from it was that today back then was a Wednesday. You can easily find these charts on the Internet. I’ve decided to take a day off for nothing but study of the Almanac for its own merits. Now, where can I find 8 uninterrupted hours where even cell phones don’t work?
           And I understand that some people like the [band] Bloodhound Gang. I don’t because I don’t identify with their music. However, I have a theory. Centuries ago, the Romans drove the marauding herds of giant prehistoric penguins out of Europe. What happened to them? Well, look around at the punk rockers. There’s your answer. Talk about your family resemblance. See, I could not write a song about a lapdance because I’m not all that sure what a lapdance is. At the same time, I probably know all I need to know about them.

NOON

           “Mike Hammer drinks beer and not cognac because I can't spell cognac. ” –Mickey Spillane

           It’s routine maintenance Sunday. Here is the dash of the Goldwing sidecar, idling for 8 – 10 minutes to completely warm up. All tools oiled and accounted for. Yes, my fancy pliers and prying tool are missing, but that is still accounted for. All moving parts oiled and everything else wiped down and shiny. Don’t join a club unless you have time.
           Here’s a snap of the Honda dashboard, with a small clock added to the dash. Honda tends toward sparse dashes, this is a tack and a speedometer only. With gauges I mean, there are more dials for fuel, heat, and volts, but they are integral to the gas tank cover and not shown here.
           This morning, over to check on Agt. M, who had to slap together a bicycle or walk. Losing his Raleigh really put him out of business for a few days, I know what that is like. We got him all the parts and tools he needs to get back on the road but otherwise he is on his own.
           He’s actually fortunate to belong to such a conservative and well-funded club with enough money in the coffers to cover small but unfortunate events. These big clubs don’t cut it. Where were the others when it counted? Busy helping the homeless or something, it’s better press.

           So I walked into this building downtown and it was freezing in there. The lady at the counter was fifty shades of blue. Did I catch anyone on that one? She said the building had no heating, I said it looks it since 1922. She was stunned, how did I know the building was built in 1922? I had a time explaining to her it was totally an educated guess. I’m no architect. Did you get that Ken? An educated guess, not a lucky guess.
           All this home-style news tells you it is still too cold to work outside. For me, I mean. But boy, are the skies ever clear. Cloudless days are rare in Florida and it is not place for stargazing either. Too much light pollution. But I hear the night skies are dark as coal up in Detroit. The planetariums up there must have awful huge memberships because we always hear about the huge number of citizens that only go out between sunset and dawn. Did I get that right?
           Another piece of news to watch is the Florida government push for free college. I was wrong thinking it was restricted to recent grads, or at least I may be wrong. If it applies to everybody, I’ll sign up to get my PhD. There is something else I was totally wrong about, and that was that not everybody who was in the military in any capacity gets a pension. They have to be in for twenty years. I did not know those with less leave empty-handed. If they chose to do that, it is not my decision or responsiblity. Remember, I support the military (with my taxes) but I do not support American political interference in any form. Whatsoever. That implies I dislike those individuals who do.

           Blog rules, anything unusual gets mentioned. You know those useless wrist straps that come with cheap cameras and small gadgets? The small ones that nobody ever uses. They are too small to fit around your neck like a lanyard, so generally I throw them in a small box. Today I emptied the box to find I have 35 of them suckers. I wonder what the reason is over the years I have such a collection. I turn that question over to Sony, Vivitar, Nikon, Panasonic, LG, Kodak, Canon, Pentax, Fuji, and Samsung. Not one of you so-called advanced companies can turn out a rugged, capable camera that takes 26 pictures in a weatherproof case and doesn’t gobble batteries.
           And only for the record, have you heard DCs latest proposition concerning conspiracy theorists? Since they can’t outlaw freedom of speech, they are seriously discussing taxing those people who express anything on the topic. That would be a sure way to get most of us to start taking them seriously. Remember, the use of force always results in the opposite of what the user intended. Take the war on drugs, the war on poverty, and what do you have fifty years later? Right . . .

AFTERNOON
           My clothes are in the dryer, so let’s look at what happens around this joint in an hour. I took apart the super sander and gave the refurbished unit back to Agt. M. He came over with this electric bike, which we claim to be the cheapest electric bike ever built. I’ll explain. If you know your automotive, M is pointing at the radiator fan motor off an Audi. It is simplicity defined. The motor is either off or on.
           When on, it slowly picks up to full speed. Now pay attention to what I say next. Most of the time I used my old electric bike, the one that got stolen, I used PA or “pedal assist mode”. This triples the range of the bicycle and lets you get downtown without being winded, tired, or sweaty. So I’m saying there is a difference between electric bike theory and practice. I did not need all the fancy controls.

           You can look at the picture again. The outside casing of the motor spins and presses against the rear tire. Yes, the seat stem is cut away, but it is reinforced on the other side. When the power is released, the motor stops, but the casing free-wheels just like your fan motor. However, this one has been slightly modified so when the bike slows down, it regenerates electricity. I don’t like that, as it also acts like a brake.
           But the point is, this system works. It will pick the bike up to around 15mph, which is plenty. And the total cost is roughly $30. Yes, that is my red scooter and the trailer hitch of the batbike in the background. In case anybody asks.
           The battery case, shown here, looks a lot like my old open mic cash box. Yes, I had my own cash box, but I have not played an open mic since 2008 or so. This is a secret, but the only reason I played those joints was so I didn’t have to wait in line and to get the free coffee. It’s an easy gig, and like they say on NPR libtard radio, it is pretty hard to bomb out at a nothing show.

           There is also a controller stuffed in the box, this is a part that has to be custom made for every bicycle. We get around too much variation by always using 24 volts. I won’t go into the principles of this device, but you have to get a controller. It’s most important function is to disconnect the juice to the motor whenever you apply the bicycle brakes. It is the thorniest part of wiring up an electric bicycle.
           The Audi fan motor was not our first choice. We are taking a closer look at a windshield wiper motor. Not only are they variable speed, but they are a closer match to everyday bicycle speeds. Yes, we’ve heard the windshield wiper joke about don’t we get tired of going just back and forth. In fact, these motors are fairly ideal. They also have a worm gear drive and they are easy to connect with a chain drive.
           There’s still another 15 minutes left on the dryer, but that’s lots for now. Besides, I don't want to upset my critics any more than I already do.

EVENING
           Agt. M was over nearly an hour. The bicycle mentioned above requires (of course) some fine tuning. And where are the tools for that? M tends to drive hard, and that results in the drive mechanism slipping or skidding over the rubber tire. I’m like, okay, so drive slower, but I’m older than Methuselah. And I have another question. Sure, I’ve outgrown my premises, but how come every time the club meets here, I start tripping over gear, material, and stepping on things once they leave?
           I’m serious. It’s not like anybody has a mandate to gallivant around here and re-arrange the furniture. I admit my house is too small and over-stuffed with gear. But when they, for the most part, leave, I start stubbing toes and banging knees. There’s my conspiracy theory, what else could it be but sabotage, considering my place is a penguin-free zone.

           This is my basic travel kit. Something is in the works. I still do not use a laptop, but I’m considering getting one for travel only. And not one of those mini-tablet types designed for double-jointed midgets. I want a full size 17” screen and a full size keyboard.
           Shown here is the cell phone, a camera, binoculars, a voice recorder, pencil case, scribbler and a small travel case full of navigation texts and supplies. I could not find a place out of cell phone range, but I found one with no Internet. Check back tomorrow.


Last Laugh
This photo stays. I don't know. I don't want to know.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++