Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 19, 2015

March 19, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 19, 2014.
Five years ago today: March 19, 2010, on hospital TV.
Ten years ago today: March 19, 2005, reed accordions.

MORNING
           Those eentsy yellow flowers have bloomed again so in 21 days all the Frenchies will be gone. Headed back to those dozens of little communities in Quebec where the major industry is collecting welfare since 1935. These flowers, the ones where I keep telling myself next year I’m going to look up their real names. Daisies?
           Wait, this morning gets even more exciting. The party talking about buying the bakery were back for another morning of watching and taking notes. I overheard the convo. I have something to say about that. It is clear most people ignored good advice and now have zero discretionary income when it comes time to retire. That is probably the worst scenario you could buy a business—to stave off old-age defeat.
           I have very little compassion for most people like that. If anyone had cause to not think ahead, it was people like me. Yet, I was surrounded by tons of people who had countless opportunities to put cash away. No, the lure of the new car every five years and the latest color TV is what stupid workers understand best.
           I have a theory about that, you know. I’ll touch on it a bit, but only if you agree to keep in mind that I am not rich. In fact, most anyone reading this probably has twice the income that I do. My theory is that living poor produces adults with strange decision-making propensities. They continue throughout life to do really dumb things. They say a person’s character can be determined by how they act when nobody is watching, but I say that extends to how they act around their immediate family. As if they don’t care.
           Well, they should. It isn’t any small habit or two at a time, but how little habits accumulate over the years to product a faulty grownup. These are the real people who think the world is out to get them. They are bad company. Very untrustworthy, too, as they feel they have to get you before you get them. In general, bad money management results in rotten-to-the-core personalities. Right, Theresa?

NOON

           “That’s like tellin’ Noah about rain.” (Farm wisdom)

           Who remembers the flare pistol insert? Here take a better look at this blowup. I stand informed that the majority of countries have laws prohibiting the carrying of firearms aboard boats. Apparently this insert will suffice to fire three or four shotgun shells from the flare pistol. Myself, I’d make the first shot count. Plastic is plastic.
           I went downtown for a haircut. Abe was killing himself laughing when I told him about the $100 bill episode and to watch out for the counterfeiting trick with the hairspray. He reminisces about his career in real estate, but make no mistake, the glowing reports of Florida’s recover are fakes.
           The reality is that almost 1/3 of the houses in Miami-Dade alone are underwater (more is owed than they are worth). CoreLogic, the company that studies these things reports 127,720 properties, again just in Miami-Dade. That’s barely any improvement from the darkest days and hardly any reason to be jumping for joy. And interest rates are going up again.
           In another amazing coincidence, Al Capone was featured in a Miami Herald article just one day after his mention here. I spent the early afternoon in the library to discover they have no books on braising or welding and no books on how to use a band saw. But the cookbook section has expanded to five shelves, each 17 feet long. It’s beginning to rival the New Age medicine rack in sheer weight of numbers.
           Now the rising interest rates may not help out my quest. I have no idea if people who cannot borrow might not decide to get a mobile home instead. I remind the reader that some of the mobile home parks in Florida far exceed other parts of the country in safety and quality. They can be really, really nice places to live.
           I found a router book that showed this contraption for cutting dovetails. I use the term loosely to refer to any type of interleaved joinery. Can you see how it works? The large piece of wood on top has two notches already cut. What’s happening is that little peg sticking out is filling the second notch. The next step is to hop the empty notch over that peg toward the back and cut the third notch. My thinking is something of this nature could be adapted to cut very thin band saw slots. It turns out I own a heavy duty plunge router. And it is practically brand new.
           As I finished up my haircut, Abe, who gives me the seniors discount, jokes the price is “One hundred and fifteen dollars”. I told him I could only give him the $15 until tomorrow. Like, I was all out of hairspray.

EVENING
           It's a spatula. I bought a couple. Not that I'm a fan of fried food, but one was a gift. This model has a flexible blade. No, not metalic, but more like a rubbery compound. One of the reasons I avoid frying has traditionally been because the spatula scrapes the pan. Whether it is iron or telflon, the stuff is not good for you. Did you know teflon is a uranium byproduct?
           For excitement, I’m going to take stock of my router bits. Until I get back into a band of some sort, don’t be coming around here looking for diversion. We’ve been to all the good movies, played all the good gigs, read all the good books. And it is only Thursday.
           For more excitement, I measured out the new bicycle rack and polished the drill bits. If you want, I can slow down this breakneck place. Maybe you’d care for a cup of tea? ‘ve got a new set of teacups. There, how’s that for an exhilarating lifestyle?
           I watched some recent documentaries on the oil production facilities in Saudi Arabia. It was annoying to hear each government spokesman state he was going to speak plainly because “the Americian public deserved the truth”. I thought, since when did it become normal for a newsman to predicate anything that way. Then I remembered what Ann Coulter had to say about the New York Times.
           I put in a full day and I'm tired. Check in tomorrow. All this fantastic fun has got me worn out tired.


Last Laugh
Cat Shock


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++