Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 24, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 24, 2014, English trivia.
Five years ago today: May 24, 2010, moody.
Six years ago today: May 24, 2009, wranglers vs. cowboys.

MORNING
           We got up early enough to take a tour of the riverfront (St. Johns River) and tour the area around the west of Deland. That includes the area around the Amtrak station, which I happen to know quite well, har-dee-har. If there are pictures, it will have to wait because Sony and Microsoft shafted me again. It used to be no problem to download the drivers for a camera, but they have changed the process since 2010. It can now take hours to find and download drivers.
           Now when I say we got up, I don't imply everybody was fully awake. JZ & I, a.k.a. known as Mutt & Jeff, head inland to the river at dawn. My Catholic chum can't get over the river is not in Jacksonville only and that it is not the little canal-type creeks they call rivers down in South Miami. So here he is, gaping at a boat like it was a marvel. Gee, the water must be deep after all. Ah, just about then, I remembered turtles. I looked down and there was the biggest river turtle I've ever seen. Considering the first one I saw was just a month ago.

           Seriously, this was nearly a yard across. I'm frantically pointing to JZ to see what might be an unmatched sight for us outside of the county zoo. Argh, by the time I got his attention, there was only a ripple left on the water surface. But speaking of wildlife, did I mention we saw a feral pig rooting in the ditch along I-95? It was just a baby but dangerous as you please. Maybe common for some, but the first time we've seen one. At first we both mistook if for a dog.
           We also saw blue herons. Nice large ones, larger than the white species of the Everglades. Deland is above the frost line, that makes for an astonishing difference in the biome. And cooler summer weather, though you can still leave the windbreaker and long-sleeved shirts back home. JZ also saw wild turkeys, which I did not see. This provided all manner of ribbing over the weekend whenever he saw what I didn't. Sure, JZ, is it over there by the turkeys? Nor did we see any manatees.

           The next towns over are Orange City and DeBary (8 or 10 miles), where we met up with Peggy for brunch at one of her favorite spots. Um, I suspect we (JZ & I) have more refined tastes (and hopes), but it was reasonably good food, if on the expensive side. We dropped Peggy’s Cadillac off at home and took the drive to New Smyrna. It was important that Peggy and I spend a little more time together as we had met far too briefly a month ago.
           It is rapidly becoming evident that although we value much the same things, there is quite a disparity in our individual preparedness, willingness, and aptitude to go get it. Those who look farther and more often are not necessarily to be dismissed as having high expectations, for it may be merely less of a propensity to bargain for things, especially things emotional. We really needed this extra face time.

NOON

           "Don't worry about avoiding temptation. When you grow older, it will avoid you." --Joey Adams. He's a 1950s radio game show host. Yes, radio.

           No noon quote unless you see one, an allowable journalistic blog paradox. This computer is not set up to receive Morse. And my other resources are way back at Hollywood. If you see it, then you know I'm home safe and sound in the very near future. Here is a picture of the New Smyrna beach from Toni's, the only place we could find any parking. Yet, it was not that crowded, a clear signal that the local infrastructure is all wrong. Here's a picture over the patio deck to the waves along the shoreline.
           Earlier I had pulled up the weather report and was all for canceling the trip to the ocean. There were reports of swimmers being drown out by the undertow and JZ thinks nothing of trying to swim to Portugal. Sure enough, the waterfront was being pounded by four foot waves when we arrived. We also had to buy drinks to park, of which I'll tell more below. The entire area seems to be recently slapped together from the cheapest grades of condo materials. It has a lively history, no doubt, but that's hardly enough for us.

           Somehow, JZ and I found that town (New Smyrna) as unimpressive as the meal. A kind of a touristy, overpriced area. The type which are over-common in South Florida. I guess we are used to seeing this kind of action every day and are immune to it. We are, in the final analysis, city dwellers, you know. And we are invulnerable to hype about what areas are up and coming. Just on the way up, we were discussing how much JZ had lost on land bought in the Everglades when the government came in and expropriated it long ago.
           The beach itself was not that crowded for such a big weekend and the breakers were keeping the few bathers close to the shore. JZ took to the water but not me. New Smyrna seems to be in mid-phase of a big Yuppie-style real estate hysteria flim-flam. But no crowds and no good-looking women. Either we are here on the wrong day, or in the wrong location. We later heard that it was the place to be. Maybe if you are charging a 7% commission.

           We took a driving tour of the area and then stopped at a fancy place where there was a fishing competition going on. Once more, we found it bland and wanted to get back to Deland. I have always like college towns because of the better ratio women to men. I don’t know what it is, but I think the women simply have to try harder. Since we got here, we have not seen any spiked hair or snot rings or bar bunnies and JZ just loves the place over that count alone.
           He's enthused about all the women where I ridentify it as merely a more proper ratio of females. Slightly more than the number of men is the right proportion. I say calm down, that he would get bored too soon. He’s reacting to the novelty but there is no way that a rural area is going to keep him supplied with things to do. We took the scenic route back and toured a type of art community called Cassadaga. Lots of palm readers and psychics and mainly closed for Sunday. Maybe they didn't see us coming. Or maybe they did?

EVENING
           My account of the day may be uninspiring, but it was a very active tour. I walked a couple of miles just looking around. So yes, I’m tuckered and wanted to head home for a siesta. We dropped Peggy at home and me at the motel and JZ went out shopping and looking for women. He’s charmed by how much attention he gets and how many people say hello. There's no pointing out they don't do so to each other.
           Well, there dude, it’s more than obvious we are not yokels. We don’t talk or act like we are from around here, we certainly don’t look it. So don’t read a lot into the friendliness, I caution him. It wears off quickly, these small towns. And although you will meet more women, it won’t be all that long before you’ve met them all. And the smaller the town, the more you are likely to get stuck with one. So choose wisely. A bigger variety does not often transmute into a bigger selection. These women possess a herding instinct that all too many men don't understand.

           Here is the apex of the day. As we drove along the roadway west of town, I pointed out the many railways lines no longer in use. If I did not say, when JZ remembered the town of Wildwood, he also recalled they had rode there on a train. He like slams on the brakes and does a U-ey toward this exhibit at a riverfront park across from a small food plant. He recognized this locomotive. It is a rust bucket, but it was the novelty that hauled the young campers the last few miles into Good Counsel. Yep, strange how memory works, innit?
           Do I get to brag a bit? What? Just a bit? Okay, when we were at Toni’s, the tall skinny lady in the red shorty-shorts was giving me the look. When I was looking through the binoculars out over the waves, she stood in front and you know. I liked the attention but fact is, that is just not the way to get approach things when I already have company.

ADDENDUM
           Sorry for the delays and patchwork pattern of the blogs for these few days. You can blame MicroSoft. I had to practically relearn the entire posting process because, although I had specifically asked for Word 2003 on this travel computer, they put 2007 on it. Plus, this Sony computer has one of those tard keyboards where the keys are set at the back of the typing surface so you have to type like a constipated ape with your wrists up in the air.
           The problems did increase because of the new blog format, the one you've come to know and love. With the features like the link-backs and the Last Laugh pictures. Nor did I ever succeed in getting the drivers downloaded, instead I kept getting these weird-ass links that wanted to inventory my computer and get back to me with all the drivers they felt I required. Typical Millennial mentality. I've said before I believe the Internet as we know it was outdated by 2010. But the government loves it so much they are blocking any potential replacements.

           My lousy travel computer was never set up to include all that HTML with a keystroke. I had to type in the script commands, and hey, I'm supposed to be on holidays. Chasing down women, not obscure code from the computer middle ages.
           And here is that better picture of Elizabeth Hall promised in April. This is the finest building on campus. And it is used for storage and administration. Except for a chapel at one end. I'll be that's gets full of fourth year students every Spring.

Last Laugh
I have no idea.