Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 6, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 6, 2014, expenses are 35%.
Five years ago today: July 6, 2010, Miley out of control and geoslavery.
Six years ago today: July 6, 2009, I (still) reject Facebook.

MORNING
           You know why I don’t like Sony? It was that camera I took to Angel Falls, but that’s another story. Today I’m still dealing with that Sony Viao piece of crap. New, this was a $2000+ computer and you know, two months later I still cannot get it to work right. Everything you try to do that is useful, you have to get an on-line update. And today I’m still getting error messages when I try to play youTube movies or listen to music.
           These laptops even have the gimp keyboard designed to give you tendonitis. I carry a separate keyboard and plug it on for use in the proper position. That’s the Sony I bought to use on road trips before discovering it was too large for a knapsack and had to be transported in a suitcase. Sorry for the grumpiness this morning, but I’m still investigating court auctions and all the little sub-conditions have become tedious.

           To take a break for a couple of hours, I decided to look at various designs of aircraft frames, wings, and tail structures. Forget it, to get at the good stuff, you have to provide ID and log-on. For that matter, even the advanced glues used for aluminum and composite materials is classified now. Looks like I’ll have to stick with my good old Lepage’s. And say, have you seen the price of carpenter’s glue lately? Ouch! It’s become cheaper to use Liquid Nails.
           This, in turn, led me to a video on making wooden barrels, which contain no glue. Did you know that? Hence, that explains the picture above. And here’s the video. While you’re there, here’s another video on making briefcases. What is English bridle leather? (It’s ordinary steer leather that is “vegetable tanned”.) Look it up here.

NOON

           "The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot. ~Michael Althsuler. (He seems to be famous for making quotes and nothing else.)

           Back to real estate, but first, here is that photo of the Jap scooter with the battery and electronics under the seat. It can be tricky to orientate this photo, so look at me pointing to the battery in the lower panel. The rusty thing behind the scene is the gas tank with gas cap.
           Those who’ve been learning electronics along with me will quickly see the charging capacitor, flasher, and starting coil. The seat (removed here) is real leather. This scooter was never marketed in America, as it came out in the 60s when everybody here wanted the biggest car possible.

           What did we accomplish today? I spent the morning learning how to research court and county records. This whole “auction” business is complicated enough to become like real work. It seems that I’ve stumbled across something, but nobody knows what. But here’s the highlights of what I did discover.
           That one property where the old guy came out to give us the song and dance is now on the short list. Why? Because it says here he’s had two previous foreclosures and this property was in his wife’s name until he transferred it to his a week before the lis pendens. So there’s one old coot who knows his way around the foreclosing procedure and likely figures he’s thrown me off the trail. Further, the auction is not at the courthouse, it is by a law firm that has the same street address as the courthouse.

           Wait, there is more. The mortgage company, plainly fed up with that guy, has bought the house back themselves to prevent him from any more funny games. I am about to contact that company and make a pre-auction offer based on what I know is the total defaulted on. You see, I know the original mortgage was for $72,085 at a time when the going rate was 6.55%, and I know it was a thirty year contract on which he first defaulted February of this year.
           The 2014 taxes are paid, which would have been by the bank, and there are no outstanding permits on the property. The deed was not witnessed but that requirement was likely waived as I saw a notary stamp on the original. So what is going on, nobody really knows over here. But if my offer is not accepted, I’ll be at that auction next week. Something funny is going on. I doubt now I’ll get the house, but I will certainly be a formidable opponent on the next one. It increasingly appears that the parties who win are the more prepared and organized. If nothing else, I will find out in what manner anyone could be more prepared and organized than we are.
           One of the things I mean by that is that all auctions in the area (Counties Monroe, Osceola, DeSoto, St. John’s, Hernando, Seminole, Alachua, and Lake) all start on the exact same day and time. Somebody who could reliably cover all nine at once would, in Florida, be such an amazing outfit that we’d have heard of them, no doubt. We are strained to the limit to attend one, and we are no push-overs.

AFTERNOON
           Whew, she’s hot out there. I stayed in the shade except for the robot club meeting, which cost $15. But so what? We now know that if we have to send Agt. M up to the property for a month or two, he can drop everything. What’s with this picture of an almost done plate of food? Well, it is the most important event of this time period. Not the food, but the fact that I could be right in front of my favorite grub, watch somebody scarf it down, and not suffer the least temptation. How’s that for self-control?
           You may not know, but the club often provides free work shirts for projects that are greasy or involve painting. Over time, I seem to have accumulated thirty work shirts, all light blue in color. Explain that one. I couldn't, so I pared the number down to eight so they could fit in the closet. Who needs four drawer-fulls of work shirts? Maybe somebody who works?

           There is something else you could try to explain. I’ve been searching the public records of counties in the interior. Please tell me how come each half-retard Millennial that comes along thinks because he is part of the Internet generation, that he knows more about organizing database records than the people who actually invented the database.
           It’s as if these hipsters think they are the first and only fully qualified computer operators in history and they can sit down and wing it every time. You’ve rarely see such a mess as computerized country records, it’s worse than this picture of a half-consumed cheeseburger. These records people have no concept what constitutes an address field. I’ll be it’s why they want $30 a pop to do the search for you.
           While on the topic, if you think you’ve seen ads for “free” before, try some of the free land title search pages. These dork-breaths don’t ask for money until you are twenty layers deep into their “free” pages. Strange how that big Internet lie has never been made illegal. Remember Canada: Free parking $5.00.

EVENING
           Each layer of this court auction abortion swings the pendulum back and forth. I still believe unless somebody with more cash money than us wants that particular property, we should be at the auction. But in realistic terms the place has enormous valuations, as high as $99,000+. It would be a miracle if we get it for what we have. But, like I said, who has the cash that wants it? See my point?
           AeroLectrics, a rating service (possibly they have a new name) finally heralded the best light airplane troubleshooting tool on the market. It is the $5 digital multimeter from Harbor Freight. This caught my eye because we have a storage cabinet full of new, unused units. It was chosen as our club standard after we tested the first one many moons ago. I’m aware the print says $10, trust me, it is $5 and sometimes free with a coupon.

           Last, the point where I can afford to bid on these properties is fast approaching. It’s a trade-off between cash and how long I was supposed to keep on living. This can be looked at several ways, but the way that offends me is committing to making payments beyond my known income. It’s tempting. It’s also foolish. The temptation is to sign for future commitments and trust nothing will change. Or worse, presume future circumstances will ease the burden, or like Greece did today. Use democracy to simply “vote” yourselves out of debt. Pay attention here.
           You aren’t going to argue with democracy, are you? The Greeks declared victory, saying banks would not dictate how they live. We shall see, but trouble lies ahead. I mean, you don’t want to get arrested for voting the wrong way, do you? The next step for Greece is a vote compelling the banks to lend them money. Isn’t majority rule a wonderful thing?


Last Laugh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++