Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 19, 2015

November 19, 2015

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 19, 2014, boxcars for sale.
Five years ago today: November 19, 2010, Limewire gets hit.
Nine years ago today: November 19, 2006, deep do-do.
Random years ago today: November 19, 2008, flowers that never were.

MORNING
           As I’ll be working on the cPod all day, you get lots of editorial written on my work breaks. Why waste work breaks talking nonsense? I’m sure I got more than one of my degrees or certificates in my life by reading or writing something useful while the rest of the office was gossiping. And here is your 140 calorie breakfast about to pop into the new toaster oven. Chicken with apples and onions. You know how I feel about “breakfast food”.
           I’ve already taken a liking to the machine. I even made a half loaf of fbread. What, you say? How can you make half a loaf? It’s easy, if you have the small bread pans, some frozen bread, and a bandsaw.

           Now, when you read the following, it is about conspiracy theories. And I have an opinion on that. See, I think I would be great cooking up conspiracy theories. I actually have a theory about those conspiracy theories, sort of a meta-theory. It goes like this: that between all them crazy theories, at least one of them is right. I know, it scares me, too.

           Last day’s link to New World Order was popular, but who has time to read that? So here is the NWO defined to its basics, one reason why you like this blog, right? NWO is, essentially, the control of global resources by an elite ruling class who are “self-elected”. The points to remember are:

           1) There will be one currency world-wide, controlled by a single central bank.
           2) The middle-class is gone to return the planet to medieval standards, rulers and servants only.
           3) Population is reduced to the one billion peasants who prove “useful” to the rulers.
           4) All dissenters are labeled outlaws and bounties placed for their deaths.
           5) Privately owned firearms is prohibited.

           All this is achieved by fomenting local wars and unrest to set people upon on each until they become conditioned to allow in “peacekeeping” and “coalition” forces. This is called “Balkanization”. Once the nations being “saved” become fatally weakened, there comes a time when the foreign armies are not withdrawn.
           The concept is descended from the British Empire and not Hitler, as is taught in Western schools. For that matter, Hitler foresaw that somebody would dominate the world in this fashion. It is England who wanted to rule the world and, in fact, there is much to suggest that people like Hitler, Hussein, and Gadaffi were blacklisted because they opposed the concept, or wanted a share. They opposed the NWO and that was their “crime”. The money for the takeover comes from supplying arms and supplies to both sides of these manufactured crises. This is the only part the average man knows to be true. Start a war, sell them guns.
           Take Gadaffi. You are not told of the great things he did for Libya. Free education, free hospitals, paved roads, good water, the list goes on and on. But you are not allowed to see that list. Hillary does not want you to see that list. She put it in with her e-mails and sent them to Benghazi. Those embassy people knew too much.

           What, you still want to see the list? Okay, a few things you should know about Libya under Gadaffi.

           1) Literacy rose from 10% to 90%.
           2) Every couple who married was given $60,000 to use as they pleased.
           3) Libya was debt-free with the highest standard of living in Africa.
           4) Undernourishment is lower in Libya than in the USA
           5) All education, kindergarten through college, was free.

           And the list goes on. Farmers were given free land and seed, even people who only wanted to farm. Health care was comparable to the best European hospitals and it was free. Some say the real reason Gadaffi was killed was he would not allow the western powers to enter the country and open a central bank. Also, he was committing the ultimate (and normally fatal) financial sin of dealing in oil without using American dollars. He began trading oil for Euros and was killed within the month. His airplane was shot down on March 17, 2011 by "NATO-backed rebels".

NOON
           I see Whiskey Six has joined the ranks of Florida “modern country” bands that are perpetually seeking a bass player. This is a strong tip-off that they are yet another pre-1980s “bass is easy” mentality bands. The want a bassist to “join” when in fact, the bassist will be stuck with no say or influence and condemned to playing simplistic bass parts chosen completely without regard to his skill level. Oh, except for the odd two bar “flourish” played by some guitarist on the bass in a comfortable studio. And be expected to be satisfied with that, after all, he’s just a bass player. One rank above drummer.
           For fun, I traced out that short in the scooter signal light wiring. No, I’d not consider doing such repairs commercially. People don’t know what is involved and won’t pay what it is worth. They’d rather drive without a signal light than pay $25 under the table to fix the problem
           And I wouldn’t do this kind of work for a penny less. I would also pass a law that says all auto bulb sockets and plugs should come in around three ruthlessly standardized shapes and sizes. Note in this picture, the bulb being tested (the pale orange dot near photo center) is clean, dust free, removed from the scooter and being tested on a comfortable indoor bench.
           I’ve learned where possible to cut such wires, work on the faulty piece, then butt-splice the entire assembly back into place. You can see my semi-legendary solder kit to the right. I had to replace the cathode post inside the socket. If you look closely, the replacement part uncannily resembles the copper pins used for my ROM demo kit a few years back. Got a whole drawer of those pins. You know, the ones meant to push through paper and flatten the wings on the other side.
           Here’s a choice being offered by yet another Florida genius totally disconnected from reality. In a thinly disguised attempt to thwart immigration laws, one Carlos Trujillo, of Miami has proposed that illegals who re-enter the state be awarded five years of free room and board, plus vocational training, a weight room and Thanksgiving and Xmas dinners, all on the public dime. Compared to five years in a crime-ridden Mexican slum, gee, Carlos, that’s a tough decision. Carlos needs to be deported until he smartens up.
           You know what gets my goat? People who pronounce “Allied” like “uh-LYED”.

AFTERNOON
           It didn’t all go my way. Somehow my chalk line got damp and I had to dump the thing out onto newspaper. It’s drying out, assisted by my compressed air and the heat gun. But what a mess. I’ve also found that ordinary wood and metal screws have become so expensive that I now salvage all that I can and stoop to pick up even a single dropped unit.
           What? You want what? Okay, but why would anyone want to see a picture of a chalk line drying out? Beats me, but here you go.
           The supposition [that] trimming that cPod box back 1” would take half a day was correct. It’s done, and painted, and fitted with the “saloon door” modesty panels. I opted to make a solid slab rear door that covers the entire assembly from the rear. Anyone looking will find no visible seams except the corner joints. Wait for pictures, but I was working fast against the fading light and did not have time to stop for that. Besides, an inch made no cosmetic difference worth photographing.
           I no longer have to cover the work [up at night], and I’ve decided not to paint the interior right away. Undercoat is fine. It sure is nice, for one in my life, to work with all the correct tools. Here’s one of those opportunities to list which tools I used today, give you an idea what I mean. In order, screwdrivers, square, chalk line, circular saw, jig say, backsaw, drill, grinder, awl, punch, measuring tape, pencil, drill ress, band saw, buffer, chisel, level, paintbrush, whisk broom, and hand sledge.
           And not one of you has any idea how much having all the tools I needed means to me. If you read enough here, you’ll find the true story of the broken chisel. Finally, things are different. Take the situation where I broke the plastic handle on my back saw. Normally, that was it, but fixing and replacing tool handles is now a given. Where I would have glued it before, this time it gets a custom wooden handle modeled after my finest saw. Even the bolts will be countersunk with Forstner bits, and the solid oak assembly oiled and sanded to a shine before being covered in Chinese shellac.
           The electronics is slated for installation this weekend. Your basic camper suite. Fan, LED lighting strip, white noise generator, weather radio, phone charger, and alarm system. Optional is a 120V outlet in case I ever need the heating pad, but I never intend to travel where it gets that cold. I also relocated the interior drawer handles to a move convenient angle to pull the compartment open.

           How do I just know that somebody is going to look at that new rear panel and say, “Golly, that looks exactly the same size as that canvas panel I was going to put up as an extension roof if I ever decide to stay somewhere more than a day.”
           And I’d say to that person, “Good thinking, Sparky. If you watch me long enough, some day you’ll make something of yourself.”
           You can probably easily imagine the method I chose. Instead of bothering with hinges and bolts and washers and lining everything up, I bolted six pieces of angle iron on the two sides and bottom to form a bracket. I slide a solid piece of panel from the top down into the brackets, held in place by gravity, tension, and the locking hasp from the old camper. And I’m ready to roll. Instead of flashing, I’m going to make troughs out of solid aluminum.

NIGHT
           I got to thinking about what I said about Hawaiians and SPAM and guess what I got a craving for? Strawberries. No, seriously I could not resist the combination of the toaster oven and canned meat. Those who don’t understand have never been there. I spent the evening mapping out alternative travel plans, as in alternate to driving the freeway, paying tolls, and pretending you are such a nice guy you don’t even notice a quarter of the total government workforce is doing nothing but watching every move your ass makes. Collecting all the information is expensive. And they expect it to pay off some day.
           Here is SPAM fresh out of the oven. I rather like the new unit, but it has to be kept spotlessly clean. Nobody remembers the time I talked JZ into buying a toaster oven in the Redlands long ago. He doesn’t trust microwaves, but once he got that toaster oven, he uses it every day, or other day. Myself, things that are mostly liquid, I can cook in the microwave. Chicken soup, anytime.
           Now JZ says to forget Puerto Rico. It isn’t safe, he says you don’t even walk around with twenty bucks in your pocket. We know what kind of neighborhood that connotes, notice I didn’t say it. Liberals have speech-control and are working on mind control, so don’t be a lightning rod. He says he’d rather go back to Naples than to Puerto Rico.
           So I said there is only one way to resolve the issue. We go for a trip on the weekend someplace other than those two destinations. Let's see what I come up with in the next half hour.

ADDENDUM
           Hat’s off to Charles Noyes because he came up with something the big players don’t like. Plus, he was featured in Popular Mechanics, something I’ve failed to do all my life. Then again, nor would I be first to notice that teens from certain areas like California seem to have an advantage in that. They win big prizes and are never heard of again. Well, Charles has applied the blockchain concept to anti-virus and done something we do over here all the time. I’ll explain.
           Blockchain? Technically, it is kazillions of computers watching each other. Noyes gives a clever analogy of bitcoin, which is based on blockchain. While you might not give a stranger $1,000 to hold for you, that changes when you have one million strangers all watching each other because any lapse means they might lose their own bitcoins if anyone cheats. Hey, works better than any known central banking system.
           What Noyes did was create software that reports on computer conditions. I like it because it is similar to my old concept of a public self-policing browser, where users could flag certain conditions they encounter as “spam”, “phishing”, “off-topic” and so on. Soon a critical mass is met and new users can simply filter out the bad sites by consensus.
           Noyes system would do the same for viruses or virus conditions. Then comes the part I know about. The big companies (Norton, AV) expressed interest—but only until they spotted it would put those bastards out of business. They like to charge $79.99 for their product which at best catches only 63% of viruses and requires constant updating. They soon hauled ass.
           Just imagine, millions of people watching the money supply to make sure not a single fiat gets in there. And you’ll soon realize why the major governments are trying to outlaw bitcoin. You be careful, there, Charles. In fact, you can't be too careful. Ask Muammar.

           Noyes was ahead of its time, and we do that here every other month.

           Boo again to Adobe Flash Player. The assholes who fix it so if you don’t update your older files won’t play. Jesse James used a gun. (The theft involved is that Flash Player is laced with spyware. Most people don’t know that.)


Last Laugh


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++