Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, April 14, 2016

April 14, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 14, 2015, not fun people.
Five years ago today: April 14, 2011, my “interviewer” objected.
Nine years ago today: April 14, 2007, peppermills, cribbage, toothpicks.
Random years ago today: April 14, 2005, Humbolt Hotel, Venezuela.

MORNING
           An easy morning scanning the interior for properties. The two newest blooms are Zephyrhills and a town called Socrum (insert joke here). But they seem to be mobile/manufactured homes, all without the land. What, did the potash mine close or something. JZ always says “POH-tash”, like “POH-ta-to”. I should talk him into another trip, he’s finally catching on that these trips cost less than staying in town. The average is something like $59 per jaunt, including gas & chow, but not accomodations if we decide to stay over and chase the women.
           Prices continue to drop. The pickings in my range tend to be spotty and demand a personal look. Why? Because you see sporadic HUD and Homepath properties in Trulia green. Most such properties are associated with much higher crime and it’s a red flag when nothing comes up. Remember Arcadia, how it turned bad in what was apparently overnight. But it was a Google map update, I think. Homepath, for those readers learning along with me, is a property that is only shown to buyers who declare they will live in it for a time and not flip it—another indicator of HUD areas.
           I think the Homepath period is the first 21 or 45 days the property is on the market. Only if nobody wants to live there do they start showing the place to institutional buyers. The picture is of just such a place. It is near Florida Polytech, so rental would never be a problem. But nobody will say why the price is low, so I would have to head out to see. The price? Well, let’s say I could buy it with the cash that’s sitting in my savings account that I never use. That includes the full $18k I would have paid back to Wallace if he’d kept his word. No, I have never spent that money yet.

           Despite concerted effort by the Rothschild banking cartel, silver stubbornly resists dropping below $16 per ounce. With each passing day, silver climbs during New York trading hours to slightly higher than the day before. The traditional bank tactics, it seems, are not working on American investors. They want the real silver. Overnight, the banksters pound silver prices with growing frustration and lessening results. No matter how the banks resist the price climb, the emerging pattern is undeniable.
           There, does that sound like a doomsday radio dispatch? Really? Because I made it up. That was after arising early and sifting through some videos of the Trump while munching my Wheatabix. Whoever was “borrowing” from this blog has quit. Now just you remember, I never claimed plagarism, although it was tempting. I never said this blog had been quoted, only that there was a definite similarity in topics, timing, viewpoints, and wording that was unnatural enough that I picked it up.
           This is different that saying that all my viewpoints are unique and original. Heck no, I formulate my opinions based on input from nearly every source except television, but primarily from direct observation of raw data. That is, most of my opinions, while not original except by chance, they are most definitely independently derived. For someone else to express the same opinion a fixed time later, well, how would you interpret that?

           Next, I receive an unsolicited letter from the bank, which I read over morning coffee, all six pages of fine print. (This is in addition to the rule book I mentioned a month back.) It’s a fact, sheeple, when you put money in the bank, it now belongs to them and not you. No, it was not always that way. The banks still carry your balance as a liability, but the reality is, it is up to the bank whether they give it back to you or not. Your input is no longer a factor.
           You are not even allowed to close the account unless the bank allows it. They have the right to seize your balance and check all outstanding debt in the entire credit reporting system first. They can pay any debts, fines, judgments, or outstanding fees before handing you anything left over. It sucks. Don’t go saying I’m siding with people who don’t pay their debts. No, I say they should pay their debts—but if they don’t, except for the bank they borrowed from, it is not any other bank’s business.
           Again, I wonder why some sharpie doesn’t open a “RealBank”. Keep real money in the vault, loan only real money on real mortgages, and otherwise opt out of the fractional banking system. It does not appear to be against the law to do that. I do hear that obeying the law can, these days, get you in hot water. Like not showing the police ID when you are stopped walking, or even not paying taxes. It’s the old American tale, there is not law that says you have to, but there are plenty of laws that punish you if you don’t.

           Trivia. The two horizontal bars that go through the “e” on the euro sign are not a “sort of” copy of the American dollar sign. They are intended to symbolize the equality and stability of the European system. Well, at least before they got invaded. Financially, the euro can only stand as long as no single country in the union goes under. Likely candidates? Greece, of course, Spain, and Portugal. All in the south, we see. But that’s got to be coincidence. It just has to be coincidence.
           I still view southern Europe as the place where the first currency will collapse, in effigy. It is this interrelatedness of world currencies that is bringing otherwise localized problems to the forefront. If you look closely at the web of government uselessness and waste, you can see why certain countries have long passed any significance in the world, but their corruption and inefficiency still rocks the global canoe.
           The best thing Trump could do is outright start cutting government ministries of "dis, dat and de odder thing". As for the "jobs" lost, too bad, now they know what it is like. And start halving all government pensions, across the board. It is sickening to see people who never invested a dime in their lives retiring in such comfort.

Wiki picture of the day.
London shopping mall, 1881.

NOON
           Today, there’s no rush over everything, so again I’ll write a bit mostly every hour when I take a mini-break. From guitars, robots, repairs, reading, the things you’re glad you can do as time goes by. I was over to the motorcycle shop and I have mostly good news. This time they sent the correct starter, but the mechanic is not feeling well.
           The supplier, unable to get the rebuilt unit, wound up sending this brand new factory starter, still in the original Honda wrapping. It’s a workman-like piece of equipment and feels it. Rather than leave the batbike over the weekend, we’ve scheduled the job for Monday.

           One hour later, I said I’d get you the list of books I went through at the Aventura library a few days ago. Here it is, right where I lost it. These excursions to the library are extras, they are not counted in the number of hours I regularly read each day. Lately, with the early hot weather this year, my guess is between three to four hours daily, about average an hour more per day since I retired eleven years ago. There has been some change in my type of reading, in that I will often tackle topics that interested me forever, but it would have been futile trying to pursue them when you have to work eight hours a day. Here is the list, with USBN numbers:

                      America’s National Parks 978-1-61893-025-7
                      Wood Identification and Usage 978-1-60085-465-1
                      Bird-Friendly Nest Boxes & Feeders 978-1-56523-692-9
                      200 Best Canned Fish & Seafood Recipes 978-0-7788-0415-4
                      Encyclopedia of Cybercrime 978-0-313-33974-5
                      100% Natural Lard (Recipes) 978-1-4494-9074-6
                      PlyDesign 978-1-60342-725-8
                      Taj Mahal 0-7613-2609-X
                      Warships Inside & Out 978-1-4488-5981-8
                      And I read Vol. 4 of the World Book.

           The cybercrime book mentions a name I’d never heard. Yes, I have trouble with names, but mostly recalling them in person. I often know if I’ve heard a name before. This guy, Keven Mitnick is typical of early hackers, and that I know plenty about. So I read the articles and found them to be mainly false and redacted. He was charged with theft, but never actually stole anything. And he has the distinction of having a law made up just so he could be charged: illegally accessing a phone company computer.
           Like many early “phreaks”, he received an overly harsh sentence that had no bearing on the severity of the crime. The rumor is that the real reason he was persecuted is that he copied, without knowing what he had, the FBI list of 26,000 names to be rounded up and interred without trial during “a national emergency”.
           What's troubling such lists is the ease and predisposition with which the authorities repeatedly orchestrate such emergencies. Take the Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, USS Maine, 9/11, and with the collaboration of Churchill, the Athenia, Mix in dozens of near-incidents each of which ushered in new anti-privacy laws across the board. These laws have one thing in common—they are not designed to single out and chase the bad guys, but rather to add another layer of governmental control over public enemy number one, that unruly mob of American citizens.


           [Author’s note: It is now common knowledge the Athenia was darkened and running a zig-zag course at the time of the incident. Passenger ships were never attacked if they ran straight courses with their lights on in accordance with international maritime law. The Athenia joined the Lusitania, the liner that served the same role in the first World War. The Lusitania was carrying millions of rounds of ammunition in hidden magazines and had gun mounts hidden beneath her teak deck. This was a secret to everyone except the Germans.]


NIGHT
           What’s this? Nicaragua is going to block transit of “immigrants” via Panama to the USA. Good, get the Trump to build a second wall across the isthmus. See, I didn’t have to spell-check isthmus. And we seem to have ships to go rescue shit-heads, but not to blockade the coast against Cubans. How are they even getting close enough to evoke the “dry foot” rule?
           I’ve seen the infrared signatures the War on Drugs people use to prowl the oceans. They could easily cut off the drifters any time they please. It’s clear the equipment is purposely not being used to staunch the flow of Cuban illegals. There’s more of them floating in every day.
Enough of giving US aid to these countries who perform the “humanitarian” deed of helping the illegals. Yeah, helping them break US laws. It’s the same old story, everybody in the world is humane—except to the US taxpayer. Him, you squeeze until the pips squeak. No mercy.
           Did you know the “assets” of the US government includes trillions in unpaid student loans? I find that amazing, since all the students have to do is form a real union and simply declare bankruptcy. I wish I’d known about that when I was in university. I’d have borrowed enough to stay there until I was 35 and had a couple PhD’s. University, I happen to like. I do want to be there, but don’t want to pay the price. And the students should file a class action against the colleges and universities that overcharged them and oversold them.

           Who remembers Monroe Station, where I used to drive with my Cadillac? JZ and I stopped there several times to look around. It is an abandoned truck stop about half way to Naples from downtown Miami, once a waypoint, now a victim of Alligator Alley. Crap, some tourist started a brush fire and the place was burned to the ground.
           It was abandoned by the time I arrived in Florida in the 90s, used only as a movie set. Here is a photo of it as a thriving operation as late as the 1970s. If you look far enough back in this blog, you can find pictures of us filling the Cadillac radiator with this building in the background. All boarded up by then. At that time, due to government Everglades restrictions, it was the only place to stop between Miami and Naples, that long alligator-rich two-lane that must have been bumper to bumper at times.
           That often struck me. The firefighters will risk their necks for days on end to stop the big fire, but will not lift a finger to prevent property damage. Same with California. You may say that is not true and I say how many times does it have to happen that way before you catch on. With me, once is too many.

           Another hour, and I think I’ll take another look into Dragon Naturally Speaking. That means I’ll see if anyone I know has a free copy I can have. Like Windows, I would not mind paying for it if the damn thing worked. As it stands, I’ve got thousands of data entries between 1981 and 2003 that will perhaps never make it to the blog.
           Next, Ray-B called to cancel out a jam session tonight, but gave me the heads up on a club with an open mic. It’s uptown in Ft. Lauderdale and I think JZ or maybe the Hippie and I were there at some point before it became the present establishment. I’ll know when I see it, but remember, get ready for some musical tales from the trailer court. We never get into a new place without making some kind of impact.
           I made it out there, return tomorrow for a mini-report.

ADDENDUM
           What’s with the rash of videos on my feed with the theme about what would have happened to Africa if it had not been colonized? A lot of it is fanciful projections of the tribes into peaceful transition into the space age, orderly development of resources, and fringe lunatic theories that the tribes all get along. There is one shining example of colonization the British don’t want you to know about: German colonies were models of efficiency.
           The Germans in what is now Tanganyika instituted everything from universal education to old age pensions. The videos seemed to miss the point that if Britain and Belgium had not grabbed the German colonies after the Armistice, today Tanganyika would likely dominate Africa. What was a hoot was the video with the Hindu lady reading the unrehearsed script.
           Examples: “. . .the area of the colony was over 900,000 kay-em-two”. The German light cruiser “der Next Paragraph Kronstadt”. Or, “ . . . led by Paul External Link Lettow Vorbeck.” And she sounds soooooo sincere about it. Clueless, but sincere. We’ve all been treated to the hilarity of a Millennial reading a script on the radio. Well, this was the same but baked over a couple of times because it was supposed to be some fancy sponsored documentary. A sponsored pause here documentary.
           These Millennials are self-embarrassing. Hooked on phonics but can’t grasp what they are reading. The “Greatest Generation”. Of what, ill-educated netcompoops? Don’t look at me, I went to a private (Catholic school). What I read aloud I may mispronounce, but at least I understand it. Trivia. Did you know the alphabet has only been invented once in all of history. All you see today are variations of that original. There is no such thing as a Chinese or ancient Egyptian alphabet, Those are picturegrams that represent words rather than sounds. There, try to find a Millennial who knows that.


Last Laugh
(Hey, it’s worth a shot . . .)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++