Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 1, 2015, a generic day.
Five years ago today: June 1, 2011, mangoes. Meh.
Nine years ago today: June 1, 2007, compressed air car.
Random years ago today: June 1, 2008, switches, locks, outlets.

MORNING
           At 7:00AM on the nose I started driving, pulling a small load. It will take me up to nine trips, not the six previously stated. I forgot how much musical equipment I have. Although I was lightly loaded, it still tripled the weight of the trailer and I could feel it lugging. But I’d rather that than the dead weight of relying on other people. Here is an early photo of the batbike parked under the canopy of trees at the new digs.
           The humidity index was 105°F by mid-morning, you may see this curious statistic listed as “realfeel” on some weather reports. And they are not kidding. Anything less than 45 mph and the driving gets uncomfortable. I know the way well enough that I didn’t even bother bringing the map case this time.

           Two and a half hours to the Clewiston Goodwill, first stop for books. Goodwill is no longer a super cheap place, it’s gone mainstream. Our loss. I held off breakfast until Lake Placid and got into Lakeland at noon. I proceeded to the property to drop off the wagon and noticed that the lockbox has been removed. I don’t have access.
           So I unhitched anyway and drove to the real estate office. All the documents have been processed, or so I thought. Each of these little jurisdictions has its own version of things and it turns out I need to sign that I’ve received the deed. I have not received it, thinking the document showing clear title was sufficient. Nope. Keep reading.

Wiki picture of the day.
Earth calling.

NOON
           There’s an old Apache saying the longer you leave something, the greater the chances of something going wrong. I was actually delayed five full days getting here, not just the long weekend. Now, it seems to me and a lot of people that once I pay for something, I take possession immediately. Not so with the new property—and I’m not the only one surprised by that.
           It turns out there are three sellers, co-inheritors. All three must sign deed papers and so far only one has, the rest are “in the mail”. What this boils down to is until I physically sign that I have received these deeds, there are liability issues with the property. One of the sellers is adamant about anybody staying there.
           They didn't say anything about storage, and here is a photo of one of the two sheds. It's rusty but waterproof. I put a load inside and added a new padlock. The combined storage capacity of the sheds is four times what I have at the old place.

           Meanwhile, I’m paying the water, electric, upkeep, and taxes until “late next week, we’ll call you”. Now I like the place and won’t make waves, but I dunno. I hand you money, you hand me keys. But somehow, I don’t think we’re in Texas any more. Before long you'll need a lawyer to take a crap. I think, regardless of what they say, the place has been legally mine since I fulfilled the contract. With 22 days to spare.
           May I add that a majority of people disagree with how I do business that way. Pay a bill the day it arrives, not on the due date. JZ thinks I should have waited the full 30 days and paid at the last possible moment. Well, dude, that is how people get themselves into jams. Leaving everything to the last moment is plain dumb, although I understand how some people feel richer before they pay their bills. It's childish but very prevalent out there.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++
           Viliumas Malinauskas : Peace, 2001. Vili is the creator of “Stalin’s World”, the soviet-era amusement park in Lithuania which contains real guard towers and barbed wire. Modeled after Siberian gulags, the parks were denied permission to display certain “ideas” that were part of the original design. “Come, Comrade, we take you for little ride.”
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           I marched right over to the seller’s place and told him about the key. He said they were being unreasonably cautious and handed me the spare key. I’m in and nothing like an endless hot steaming shower after a day on the open road. Next, I initiated the new place with my first cup of coffee on my own stove.
           Chances are I’ll remain a few days because, if you recall, I did not thoroughly inspect this building because I never thought they’d accept my low-ball offer. Things I’ve found so far are trivial repairs when you consider six months ago I was prepared to replace rafters if I had to. Here is a poor picture of the tap in the tree. The water is one if you look near where I’m pointing. I’ll get you a better shot but this tap is staying even after I topple the dead tree.
           Things wrong so far. The outlets in the living room are two-prong. The seal on the fridge needs replacing. The air conditioner fans have seized and need to be kickstarted. All the kitchen drawers stick. The paint in the bedroom was a terrible job and has to be stripped. All the window screens need re-tightening. There is no outlet in the bathroom and the medicine cabinet is way too tiny.
           While I’ll continue looking, if these are my biggest problems, did I get the deal of the decade or what? The ceilings, which I said were 8 feet tall turned out to be 7-foot-10. Dang, huh?


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++