Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

July 13, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 13, 2015, on random numbers.
Five years ago today: July 13, 2011, a generic day.
Nine years ago today: July 13, 2007, little people, big people.
Random years ago today: July 13, 2004, interesting Mars picture.

MORNING
           I’m off the program. The clinic handed me a nice fat paycheck and took me off the cholesterol program. Complete success is the reason, and in only two years instead of five. They re-enrolled me on a different trial, but it pays less and only once a year. Still, this money kept the robot club rolling in batteries for years now. We start in three months.
           Meanwhile, I read an article concerning the low test scores in America this decade. I would have shrugged it off since I’ve failed two tests in my life, both on advanced but ill-taught subjects. Then I noticed these people are failing multiple-choice tests. What the hell? How can you fail a multiple-choice test? Now that is the epitome of stoopid. For crying out loud, the right answer is in front of you.

           A large chunk of the blame has to go to the teachers, I mean, kid’s haven’t changed in roughly 10,000 years. But you can’t get around stoopid. All the old excuses have been demolished, you know, the wild ideas that the tests discriminated by race and all that Liberal twaddle. Even allowing for the media cover-up of the now-established 15 point difference in IQ between the races, I was stunned at the simplicity of the tests.
           Students living in Miami could not find it [Miami] on the map. The majority of the same students who could not identify "that large country" on the USA’s southern border still said they'd vote for Hillary. A quarter of them think Delaware is a city, and this is on a test form first printed in the 1980s. Plainly the federal control of education has to be dismantled. You can never improve a bureaucracy, it has to be completely zapped out of existence and begin over with new people.

           Another issue is there are 40 times as many disabled people on government assistance in the USA than statistically can exist. Mr. Trump, that’s a good place to start. Kick everybody who isn’t missing an arm or a leg off the program and make them re-apply. And these programs are for legal Americans only. I’ve been in the disability office and I was the only white guy. Something definitely is out of whack with that.

Wiki picture of the day.
The rich at play.

NOON
           Here is the second most popular photo from this blog, taken July 12, 2005. And reprinted here for your enjoyment. These are the little duckies from Snapper Creek, Florida.
           It’s too hot again. I’m under the A/C with a good book on scenic roadways of America (return tomorrow for more info on that). And when that is done, a big book on woodworking. That topic [woodworking] is the largest spinoff from the now defunct robot club. That was an amazing five years with a tremendous learning curve.
           And the first lesson is around ten thousand people will talk about robots for every one that actually even tries to build something. I repeat to the newcomer that there is nothing new about robots since the middle of the last century. All the apparatus and knowledge has been in place at least that long.
           They are expensive and finicky. What’s changed over that time is that people have also become expensive and finicky—and they’ve crossed the line. While I don’t believe robots will ever replace human workers in my lifetime, they will displace instead. And I could point to the individuals that should be afraid. Starting with the Millennials who think they are the smartest generation but can’t find Miami on a map.
           For being the smartest generation, they sure can’t program worth dick.

           Now that isn’t the only generation that will get screwed. For the entire working part of my career, I paid into Social Security thinking and planning to begin receiving benefits when I turn 65. Well, that ain’t gonna happen. I am stuck having to finance myself to an age that is actually greater than life expectancy back when they began deducting my paycheck. Mind you, I planned around it the instant I heard, but most people did not. Like JZ. He’s going to have wait until he is 70—and he’s paid the higher self-employed rates most of his life. And buying a house is, for JZ, a distant dream.
           The new house is what brings up the topic of retirement age. I may not be set for life, but that house is one huge indication that I won’t be along with the first droves who wind up sleeping under bridges. I can always rent the house out for more than the cost of a room--somewhere. Say, I’m going to look up what rooms go for in Lakeland just so I’ll know. Anyway, once I move into the house and get the renovations complete, twelve months later I am thinking of buying and operating a car. This car plan goes in and out of favor, but this time the house pretty much makes a car quite real for me.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++

           John Senders: Public Safety, 2011. John is, well, maybe you should just watch the video. Degrading North American skills to the level of Hong Kong theoretically makes us more equal. John gets a real bang out of his work. Just knowing John is out there will instantly improve everyone’s driving. At least he’s not texting.
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           Scenario. It is 2026 and the US government has cut off all Social Security, food stamps, and confiscated all but personal belongings. I have to rent my house and move into lodgings in town. What is available in today’s (2016) market? That’s what I’m looking up right now. Meanwhile, Lakeland’s again been voted in the top 100 towns to live (but so have five other towns I’ve lived in). The grain of salt is the same list (no link) rates places like nothing Olympia, dullsville Scottsdale, and queer-infested Miami Beach higher on the list.
           A prospective lady buyer came to the door and was bowled over by the interior of this place. It does look a little rough outside, admittedly. Inside it is the coziest place for the price in Broward County. She’s going to the office tomorrow. Now where were we? Ah yes, rooms for rent in Lakeland. You must be careful of the neighborhood, but super areas seem to average $550 per month. In perspective, that’s too expensive, almost like a small mortgage, so I’d have to think twice about that. It would be cheaper to fix up an illegal suite in my upcoming work shed.
           And I’ll say it again just to say it again. I don’t like the upright bass. Never did. And I don’t like either upright bass players or other musicians who think the upright bass is somehow special or kewl. It isn’t.


Last Laugh


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++