Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 27, 2016

October 27, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 27, 2015, at the surplus store.
Five years ago today: October 27, 2011, still learning to sing.
Nine years ago today: October 27, 2007, overkill for this town.
Random years ago today: October 27, 2008, old self-picture.

MORNING
           Here’s the squirrel feeder new on the scene. Custom made. This is the one that gets filled with the milo mix. It is not totally milo, so the cardinals actually found the feeder before the rodents. It is another ten feet further from the house, which may contribute to them feeling more secure. But the cats can get this feeder by clawing up the tree bark. Let’s see how Mother Nature deals with this one.
           There is also a new and unseen bird in the bushes. Kind of a long chattering call, but not song-like. Make that a chuttering call actively mostly in the morning twilight. According to the Almanac, that is around 7:17AM. There is less twilight as you get closer to the equator.

           Armed revolution? Maybe, and you saw it here months before the mainstream picked it up, but this blog doesn’t quite have the same circulation as the New York Times. Yet. It will, but that’s because the NYT is going down the tubes. Anyway, it was here that you will find mention of revolution if Trump is blocked.
           Folks, this blog has told you all along that the closeness of the race is a Liberal fraud. Trump is in by the largest majority in our history. People have had it with corporations and welfare people bleeding off the system. As I stated over a year ago, Trump is the only option if you want the USA to still be here in four years. I know nothing of politics, but I know my economics.

           And the only way the establishment can stop Trump now is by subterfuge. I am not predicting revolution, but saying that there will be trouble if they try that. There is no compromise with the establishment this time around. They insiders have lied and cheated too often. The last ten elections were “won” because both parties conspired to make sure there was no real difference between the candidates. Trump is going to kick their asses.
           If, somehow, there is a revolution, all I can say is they had it comin’. Here is a link to a poem they should be reading. Make no mistake about it, whether or not Trump makes president, he is leading a political revolution that just could evolve into just about anything. This is a mature America, and the first time in history a power elite has tried to stop a popular candidate chosen by a fully-armed electorate.

           On the issue of violence, I’ve heard Trump has uncovered evidence that Clinton sent paid agitators to his rallies. Knowing the media was on her side, the thugs were handed $1,500 and a free cell phone to cause disturbances. Something that mystifies me is why Trump doesn’t find a CNN defector. A company that shoddy must have a number of disgruntled camera crew willing to spill the beans. It would be the last straw to their already-flimsy credibility to find a written memo that uncovers a deliberate policy to downplay the Trump crowds.

Picture of the day.
Rio.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

NOON
           I went to the parade. It was an hour long and everybody gets in the action even if it means putting a ribbon on your car and getting in line. Every school in town had the students plodding along behind a banner. In my day, you had to at least join the marching band. I took 136 pictures, so let’s see which or how many make the grade. Times are tight, meaning every float in the procession had seen its better days. And in most cases better years.


           There is an academy up the road a few miles. I’ve driven past it often but did not know it was a military academy until I saw this group in the parade. Uniforms or not, if you are thinking what I’m thinking, it is evident that Marching 101 is not on their curriculum. What’s to become of us if this lot ever went up against the Brigada Quinta Silva?
           Without meaning to sound cruel, there was not one good-looking woman or girl in the crowd or the parade. And least not in the sense of the total sexy babes that were everywhere in my day. I know, because in addition to being a prime judge of woman-flesh, that’s why I joined the marching band. Even the best-looking ones today looked kind of like Julie’s daughters. Attractive because they were young, but by age fourteen already going pear-shaped. Once again, I blame the diet. When I was in high school, every other babe was a work of art—and makeup was not allowed. Sigh.

           The parade was an hour long, lots of sirens, bells, and whistles. The horses are now wisely positioned at the end of the line. The turnout was fantastic. America loves a parade. I hear this is not the big parade. That comes at Xmas, when nearby cities join in. Specifically mentioned were Auburndale and Winter Haven. Remind me to get one of those collapsible chairs. But it I was smart, I’d park the sidecar at an advantageous viewpoint and do a little showing off myself. Now that Mitch helped me discover that a good lawn-chair mattress makes the bucket into a comfy lounge with room for cold drinks.

           Trivia. We know Sam Morse invented Morse code, but how many know why he invented it? He was away working on a job when his wife died suddenly. There was no fast way to get him the news until he got back home on his own. Tragic. A lot of this week’s trivia comes from this month’s Smithsonian magazine. It’s research, because I am not quoting anybody in particular.

NIGHT
           I put up some dust dividers in the living room and bedroom. They also section the space off into three bedrooms if need be. It’s furring strips and tarps, part of the idea is to keep people out of the areas where work is in progress. And it will stay in progress for a long time, you see. I’m in no rush.
           Several months ago I met a guitar player who sort of knew some country songs. After the parade, I went to Wal*mart and bumped into the guy. He fits the parameters, an acoustic guitar player who can only do the average of twelve songs. Has played in bigger bands and knows they are a hassle. Has his own place and gear, likes to just play occasionally. There always turns out to be a few negatives thrown in. Those will emerge quickly enough and sometimes they are not service affecting.
           I’ll contact him in a day or two. The usual hurdle is not what the new guy can play, but that they often prove incapable of learning anything new. This is why I often play guitars with the person at first. To see if they can copy what I do. Most can’t.

           Then, I curled up for the cool evening and read. Here are some random topics I covered. Did you know the average American born today will use 1,600 pounds of copper in his lifetime? That’s more than the Bronze Age, isn’t it? Mostly, the metal is used in electronics. So that makes sense. I learned that American subsidized corn production has driven thousands of Mexican farmers out of business. That’s a bit curious because the Mexican corn is significantly different than Yankee frankencorn.
           That requires some thought. You see, the Mexican corn is mainly for human consumption and is not grown on large mechanized estates. Have you seen their corn? It is not the unvarying yellow color you get here. To produce corn for animal feed requires mega-production and the Mexicans don’t do that. So, if the Mexican corn is hand-grown, not refined into anything eolse, and is locally consumed, why are the farmers affected at all?

           What’s this? Clapton gets sued for plagiarism? Makes sense to me, since I’ve been saying since I first heard his music when I was a teen—everything he plays sounds like something else. “Before You ‘Cuse Me” is “Kansas City”. Then, I will grant him one defense in that Blues music is generally so simple and repetitive, anyone could find suspicious similarities.

ADDENDUM
           Do I participate in Halloween? It is against my religion but not against my sense of a good time. Enjoying something is significantly distant from worshipping it. I could afford to be rather generous. I mean that compared to the popcorn balls handed out in my day. Yes, I went Halloweening when I was a kid and I don’t feel the least guilty.
           I remember the houses that were generous. Let me ponder the issue. I’m still recovering from buying this place. Coming up with the cash money was less fun than too many people imagine. True, I didn’t borrow a penny or make a single promise or commitment. But I’d still like to slap anybody who thinks it was just a matter of emptying the penny jars. In the end, the consolation is that the pain of finding the cash was in total far more bearable than the less intense but constant pressure of a thirty-year mortgage.
           People have to be nuts or indoctrinated to spend 30 years paying for a house to live in. It’s annoying to meet people who are intensely supportive of the status quo only because they are protecting their investment.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++