Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 24, 2017

February 23, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 23, 2016, we learned what to avoid . . .
Five years ago today: February 23, 2012, nothing decent since 1989.
Nine years ago today: February 23, 2008, I like Colorado.
Random years ago today: February 23, 2001, at the Ugly Tuna.

MORNING
           Here’s a couple photos that tell you about today. More than half the work load on these windows has been repairing them once they were taken down and laid flat on the sawhorses. It’s slow and dusty at that point so make sure you don’t have to catch a train. It goes exactly as you imagine. It was a nice day to spend mostly outside, but I had the radio rigged up so I could listen to the financial channels. Hey, they are more interesting than the mass-produced “new country” and the disco tribal chants that pass for teen music these days. But, I supposed if you went to public school and had it drilled into you for twelve years, you’d think it was meaningful.
           I’ll tell you what is meaningful. Music from my era, music that goes “She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah” and that, folks, is about as meaningful as music should be when you are young and chasing skirt. So I listened to some stock market analysts. These people have a vested interest in reporting that the market will always return. So I have some observations, most of which they never address. Like, what is the value of the market if you adjust the INDEX itself for inflation? You do it with the dollars, now do it with the index. I believe at the same ratio, the market is not at 20,000, but more like 2,000.

           How many of us have heard that quip that saving is bad? The theory that if you save, it takes money out circulation, and that hurts the economy. Well all I can say is so fucking what? Who gives a shit how the economy is doing? As long as I’ve got what I need—and that, son, is the basis of all wealth and the success of the capitalist system. Self-interest. I’ve told how greed is vastly under-rated as the motivator that built the great things of the world. I’m not advocating greed, I’m just pointing out that it gets a sometimes undeserved bad rap. You are on the Internet, my friend, because somebody got greedy.
           Say, take another look at the picture. Did you notice the Rebel and the window screen in the background? I thought this was a rather well-taken angle, yes the shot is posed. It reminds me of the sort of photo you’d see in a handyman publication, so I had to share it with the world. Here it is, Florida’s most famous can of primer. Over time 1,800 people will see this can. One thing I’ll add is notice the smoothness of the wood being primed. It didn’t get that way by accident, Chumley.

Picture of the day.
Tankwreck?
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I’ll get back to money, but first, here’s good picture of the restoral work on the windows. Shown here is a water-damaged lower corner where the air conditioner leaked. The yellowish compound is wood hardener. I’m pointing to screws. Only the heads are visible, but these are 8” long and sink deep along the sill into very carefully drilled pilot holes soaked in glue. When clamped overnight, the window frame becomes as rigid as factory new. Now, were were talking about money.

           The question remains, what is a good investment? You won’t get a direct answer because there isn’t any. Let’s go over my definition. If you are seeking long-term overall gain, that’s investing. If you are looking for a fast buck, that’s speculation. I have never made any money investing. Like the Dow-Jones, the numbers go up, but not the purchasing power. And I’ve never seen a prediction that took into account the true effects of taxation and inflation. The figure that gets batted around a lot is that the average investor makes a real return of 2% per year. This is fine providing you plan on living to be 144.
           This explains to me why so much wealth runs in families. It takes longer than a lifetime to get rich. The fact is, most families, mine included, lack anything like the discipline needed to pull that off. These talk shows can go on about how the money is there in most people’s lives, as indeed it was with my ancestors, but they blew it as fast as they got it. Screw you, kid, go get your own. They squander every penny they make or can borrow. Have you noticed when you talk to such people, they are utterly convinced they can’t get by on a cent less? They really do need everything they’ve got. Like Ken Sanchuk, they really do think of cable TV is a necessity. Hook, line, & sinker.

           Myself, I speculate. The trick to that is to not worry about temporary loss. For example, today’s silver price would say I lost money since 2012. But I still have the silver, so it’s back to the waiting game. No big deal, I never speculate with money I might even remotely require for something else. Had I not found this house, I may have cashed some of it in. That wasn’t necessary. I check on it twice a year, but I watch the silver market at least weekly. If silver ever soars, of course all the years of waiting will wipe out any thoughts of long-term appreciation. As far as I’m concerned, the longer the term, the more time they have to steal if from you. Either the money or the value, they get you both ways.

One-Liner of the Day:
“That’s ‘I’ before ‘E”, except in Budweiser.”

           I have no cable TV and I wrote today’s blog and several letters instead. Drove downtown and mailed the, too. I get a laugh out of that mentality that once you have cable, if you don’t watch it constantly, you are losing part of what you paid for. Stay up till 3:00 AM, but don’t miss a rerun. And when there’s no bulb in the socket, the electricity leaks out. So let me see if, this near the end of the month, whether I have any unspent money. First, open the file. That’s all there is to that. I update that file every day. I fit it into five of the minutes that I’m not watching cable TV, bwaaaaa-ha-ha-ha.
           Yes, there is $171.28 left over. All bills are paid and the budget amount is already set aside, so that’s real cash to spend if I want. Still, that’s a larger number than expected, so let’s review where it came from. Part of it is I have not really gone grocery shopping since I started these windows, but that’s maybe $40. There’s $22 I didn’t spend on restaurants, though I should revamp that calculation, I need supplies like some laundry detergent, bit that still leaves a hundred bucks.
           Maybe I should hop on the motorcycle and ride. I already said I was going to do that, but take the extra cash along. Who knows what I’ll find?

ADDENDUM
           You know who I don’t like? The old guy at the Lakeland east library. You know why I don’t like him? Because he’s your typical loser who thinks he’s helping police the system. Yes, the rule is you have to show ID to use their computers, but after six or so months, all the other staff have seen your ID. So when you walk in the door, they print up a guest pass. Not that jerk. He makes you show him ID every time, even if he just saw it y’day. Then he slowly examines the ID, both sides. Then he always says, “Okay, Mr. Val, let’s get you entered into our system”. Like he’s doing you a favor.
           Then he carefully enters all the data on your ID, making sure to include anything he doesn’t understand in the comment fields. After that, he stops and re-reads the entire screen. As he intentionally slowly walks back, he makes sure he says, “Great, Mr. Val, did I pronounce that right? (and he waits until you say yes), welcome to OUR library.” Like it belongs to him.
           I once asked why he needed to see it every day. He said because it might have expired. I asked if he could not just confirm my ID is good for another seven years, he put on that practiced look of astonishment. What, are you crazy, we can’t have people with expired ID reading books. Haven’t you heard of 9/11? What part of “public” library don’t you understand?
           Jerks like that are a strong argument for fake ID. That’s all I’m saying.


Last Laugh
Like a boss.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++