Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 12, 2016, it’s called ‘hammerback’.
Five years ago today: April 12, 2012, save $1.26 per year!
Nine years ago today: April 12, 2008, twelve equal payments.
Random years ago today: April 12, 2005, coffee was $3.69 a package.

           You get a picture of candle sinkholes. I call them dimples. These are the cavities that create themselves when candle wax cools. There’s probably a good explanation for this, but I just put it here because I had no time to take other pictures today.
           The morning was taken up with the audition that became the rehearsal. This New York guy will work out just fine if he sticks with what we did today. We easily jammed through 40 songs without a hitch. He’s got a lounge influence and sings his own material. He’s got every guitar bad habit in the book, but in his instance, they are not service affecting. What? Oh, sorry, let me explain by giving an example. He’s got the bad guitar habit of presuming that because he likes the Eagles, so does the rest of the band. But it doesn’t cause a problem because he does not insist we play it.
           So, I’m committed to the project as long as he keeps his end of the bargain. Choose 16 songs each, with a few guidelines, like keeping it country and avoiding the pack. How’s his guitar playing? Well, it’s a good thing it isn’t fantastic. Because I don’t want this guy striking out on his own. He could, be he seems fully aware that puts him in competition with an already flooded market. He saw what the recession did to music in New York. And he knows better than to face the guitar solo circuit.

           A good 2/3rds of what we played is ready to go, though it needs a quick polish. He sings all his own songs though like myself, would have a hard time selling it. My forecast is that if we continue just a bit, we will not only be better than any guitar act around here, we will quickly shunt them aside. He has excellent timing. He doesn’t leave out the intros, he chords through even if he doesn’t know the lick. That’s the right way to do this.
           What about the instrumental breaks. He chords through them, but incorporates the CAGED system. He’s not as good as Ray-B at it, but he’s got me filling in any gaps. The bonus is that we both played through maybe twenty breaks without clashing or having it wash out. His strumming has a strong folk and bluegrass persuasion meaning at least it isn’t blues. He’s got a drum box that he feels should be used but I think he’ll get over it. He can also sing a bit of harmony, though only to his own songs.

           Last for now, even his playing frequency is the same as mine. Two or three gigs a month, but more if the money is there. Anything above eight is too much like work. Both of us are fans of house gigs. And between us we have more than enough gear to cover the bases on that. The trick is to find another band you can spell off with. We also got the electric or standup bass discussion out of the way.
           I know we’ve all heard standup bassists who were incredible beyond description, blah, blah. But I will challenge any of them to a one-hour contest of who can hold the audience’s interest that long. You can sing, dance, whatever, but the single rule is there must be one and only one instrument each played throughout. He plays the standup, I play the electric. One hour. We’ll see who makes the grade, Mr. Cool.

Picture of the day.
Ferrari tank.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here it is. This is the logo I mistook for Burlington Northern.
           The morning musical tryout was so important, it squelched the rest of the day. If the guy hangs in there, I told you, there is no competition. You know, I need a good month, musically. The best month I’ve had in entertainment in Florida since I got here is a pittance compared to the good old days. Let’s just say, a solid $1,500 month would eclipse everything that’s gone before. Since I got to Florida, $1,500 is considered a good year.
           Over the past two years, if I moaned about losing some files, I just found them. Comingled with my old bass videos. Whenever I learned a difficult tune, or one that I knew I would eventually forget, I made a quick video showing the notes, then the bass progression. So I get to take big shortcuts with most of the material the new guy wants, which seems to be from that era. I also found the program that I was seeking to recover the old files on my hard drive that glitched while doing the annual 2014 backups.

One-Liner of the Day:
“Thanks for explaining the word 'many' to me,
it really means a lot.”

           Far later than usual, I got my tush down to the local tavern. I’m glad I never lived long enough to sit in a bar and pay attention to what other men are writing in a book. But if I have a pet peeve, it is frumpy middle-aged women. The ones who are nearly my age, but try to hide it. And the way they try that is to play music on the jukebox that their kids listen to. Shortly after I arrived, these three couples pool up and insert $60 in the slot. This clobbers the waiting list. Sure enough, the music changes to that white rap.
           Where before we had hayseeds and hillbillies, workers and pool players, we now have that married couple pseudo-rap. It killed the evening for all the regulars. It also emptied the place. Woe to these old-by-proxy types once the fancy place opens next door with the most incredible country duo imaginable for this town.

           Jeff Goldblum. Terrible actor, so why am I watching his movie “Beyond Suspicion”? Because I’m not watching Jeffy, I’m watching movies with unusual themes. And few things are more of that than the concept that sexy babes write meaningful letters to men in prison. The plot is a stranger at a robbery looks into the past of the dead victim and takes his place when he meets the woman. Okay, I admit I watched the movie because the blonde clerk at his insurance office looks like my ex. Or like my ex used to. Sigh, at least I had the good years.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++