Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 19, 2017

June 19, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 19, 2016, early work on the cabin.
Five years ago today: June 19, 2012, on the V-1.
Nine years ago today: June 19, 2008, approved hurricane door.
Random years ago today: June 19, 2013, the amazing ROM project 42.

           Closer examination of the window in the bedroom show that they were custom fit. It was my placing of two windows side by side that emphasized the slight differences. My priority is to get the scooter back on the road today, as the Rebel cannot carry a load of groceries. Did I mention I found a site that specializes in custom Honda tail lights? The payload of the bike could be increased by moving the tail and rear signal lights to the back of the fender. I’m back in domestic mode, filling the birdfeeder, and puttering in the shed. When I should be finishing the dang bedroom.
           And cancel the free trip to the Smithsonian. The missing $2100 is resolved, but the way it worked out is this only put me back to square one. Try to think of this summer as fun working on the house with a couple of trips if I find the time. Here’s one of the aquariums at the science museum containing fish anybody can see for free a mile further east. There’s your typical tourist gawking at fish like he’s never seen them before.
           Cancel the science museum as a repeat destination for me. It is mildly humorous to even call it science since it contains nothing that would spark anybody’s imagination. Thinking it over, the only novelty I saw there was a type of fountain around a foot tall that formed a shield that held mist inside the bubble. No pic, my camera was long dead by that late part of the day.

           Back in music mode, I hauled out the Fender and ran it through the Fishman. Ah, that’s a sound, the Ibanez can’t compete. I’m not even a guitarist and I prefer the Fender. You don’t have to press the strings as hard and the sound is nicer over a larger range of settings on the PA. I can just about reach my goal of 32 songs if I cheat a little and if I include songs known to be less that suitable for solo acts. (Known, that is, to everybody except guitar players.) Songs like the over-played “Wagon Wheel” that cannot hold the audience. Same with “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” and “Stray Cat Strut”. They just don’t deliver but if I play them, I’m as ready as Mack, and he’s played these places before.
           This signals that I’ve lost faith in the new guitarist, he’s taking too long to pick up the music. Face it, a person who claims to be a guitarist should be able to zip through this simple stuff at least as fast as I learn it. “Wagon Wheel” was a five minute song, if that. And the way I need it played, that could be trimmed to zero minutes, I mean, just listen to it and play it. Yes, there was I time I struggled with such music, but that was fifty years ago. And there is always the factor that I can’t play guitar. I know three strums and I choose music that, among other considerations, fits what I can play. No talent required, though talent certainly makes life easier. I’d rather see a little aptitude, that’s about it.

           What, you want to know what songs I’d be cheating with? Chick songs, always on average are easier to sing. “Why Not Me” and “Red Neck Woman”, songs I can already play. You might say I’ve learned to play guitar the way I do by showing half-tard guitar players what I want them to do. When they jam out, I still have the songs. It’s not a phenomenon, I’d say I learned a third of my tunes that way.
           I got caught singing lyrics I didn’t understand. In Nelson’s “It’s All Goin” To Pot”, I went past that line saying a “red-headed stranger I’m not”. I admit, I don’t know what that means, but I will. I presumed it was some trite TV expression, you know, something that the life-wasters would know but I would not. Now I learn it may be a literary term. Hey, to me that’s just one method of how I learn things. Did you know stats show that women shun red-headed men?

Picture of the day.
Wilderness.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Some of you are still not using ixquick. It’s an easy download and I’ll explain once more what it does. When you submit a search to Google, it is recorded, analyzed, and added to the profile that outfit is building on each and every user. Again, this is expensive, so you bet your ass they are going to move to get their investment back some day—at the expense of your privacy. Oh, but that’s right—you’ve got nothing to hide. Have you ever noticed those with nothing to hide really want everybody else on file except themselves?
           You can read the fine print, but what ixquick does is strip away your IP address. However, it is not perfect as I’ve noticed when I query, say, a documentary from one library computer, it influences searches when I log on using other computers, but not when Agt. R logs on the same machine.

           And while we are discussing people who will stop at nothing to put unexplained code modules in your computer by any stealth method they can, watch out for that Sony Home Entertainment package that autoplays when you insert some CDs. Code that self-runs is always too suspicious to consider. So you’ll know, the old trick of holding down your shift key while loading the disc doesn’t work any more. Sony is on to your tricks.
           What’s this, some kind of attack on a mosque? I hope whoever is doing that stuff isn’t thinking like they are giving the Islamics a taste of their own medicine. It doesn’t work that way. The best I heard it put was that when a European is insulted, he feels shame. When an Arab is insulted, he feels revenge. This is oil and water, folks. The real problem as I see it is you cannot confine the consequences to those who caused the problem. Everybody suffers.

           Here’s a 1-1/2” spade bit. I’ll explain it below. It’s here for show. I finished the Smithsonian section on robots and find myself in disagreement with several premises. While I fully understand how some people need robots to be humanoid, is that the best criterion over which to conduct the initial research? In the end, the robot is just a machine and where would we be today if other items had waited until they could be shaped to please Aunt Polly? I say if people got used to lawn mowers and fork lifts, they can learn to like ugly robots.
           I also didn’t care for the inclusion of the Korean philosophy on how they are superior because they don’t embrace western “mass homicide” concepts. Maybe so, but they certainly embrace the entire concept of robots, which will certainly be weaponized like pronto. There is not one entirely Korean-based original technology in any of their designs, but other than that, they are superior. The article lures you by implying it is about robots, but it is more about Korean food, eyelid operations, and praying for fertility via iPhone. For click-bait, you can’t get more millennial than that.

           Nor do I buy that theory that it was the war-like Europeans who interrupted the world’s peaceful and docile societies. The Chinese and Egyptians institutionalized warfare the instant they could. On the other hand, it was Europeans first to abolish cannibalism, slavery, and human sacrifice. Say what you want about technology, you are probably alive today because of it. As for human nature, there are very few meek ancient civilizations—and to a one they are very swift to turn violent the moment they acquire the white-man’s tools. Witness Iran and the bomb. If they don’t already have it, they will. Then the liberal’s long-awaited world equality celebration can begin in earnest.

Quote of the Day:
“Food shouldn’t hurt.”
~ Al Klit. (Yes, that’s his real name.)

           This is your distilled water. Buy it in the baby food section or over at Publix for 86 cents a gallon, as opposed to $4 per gallon at the auto parts store. The marine cranking battery drained completely dry, so the procedure is similar to charging up a new battery, a robotics’ club specialty. Careful, do not use a car charger on a regular motorcycle battery—unless it has a slow charge setting. Regular amperage will heat your plates. I don’t know how long this battery was dry, so check in if you are interesting in the progress, probably in a day or two.
           The idea is to slowly charge the battery back up to 13.7 volts. The slower the better. You know, I would still look up the instructions for any known battery brand, because it is very difficult to find any battery that comes with adequate instructions for recharging. In fact, this expensive marine battery may already be a goner.

           The miter saw is an adequate model only. It is a 10-inch model but from what I see, the blade does not tilt, only the table. Still, it’s an improvement over constantly changing the table saw depth on my Mickey Mouse unit. I’ll clear a spot for it in preference over some lesser used tool, like my tiny belt sander. It was sprinkling all day again so I did research. It seems back in 1860 the world was not big on wood stains.
           There’s mention of shoe polish again and some talk of vinegar and rusty nails, but the only product commercially available was Danish oil [it seems]. And I can’t find out if it is the same as today’s recipe. For all I know, it could have been whale oil. There’s no oil wells in Denmark and like most European countries, it only supports conservation when somebody else starts to catch up. I did my best to match up old black and white photos to find the stain that seemed a relatively similar contrast, and it is called “dark walnut”. I bought an experimental pint.

           Another snag that needs solving is drilling the round diffuser hole in the top plate. So far these “hole saws” have proven inadequate on every major count. Slow, dusty, they get hot, jam, stop cutting by themselves half-way through, and take forever to clear out the wood plug. I invested in a good old 1-1/2” spade bit and I’ll let you know how that goes. There is a reason my drill bits are individually locked in a rack.

ADDENDUM
           Here’s the Danish oil brand I decided to try. Hopefully it works better than these Vivitar cameras. I also checked with some locals about which veteran’s halls hire single acts. The most likely is the one Mack and I were at. Their last show was an Elvis impersonator. Don’t tell me they are that desperate for entertainment or I’ll go down there with a set of bongo drums. I also found out what they pay and it is enough for me. Some of these places tip but most don’t.

           Once again it would seem my summer schedule is determined by events in Miami. That’s not a bad thing though I would always rather make every trip to someplace new. What I mean is like travel this month, June, amounted to the drive to Snapper Creek and back. I know the whole road and that makes it less of an adventure. Ha, but I still got most people beat for knowing how to have a great mini-holiday on a budget. Once again, the gas for the trip is the major expense, and that is only around $20.
           The actual mileage to the condo is 33 miles further than the trailer court—ha, which as I damn well warned everyone, has been sold out to the condo developers. I don’t yet have the details, but two people have called with the news. And the people I missed on Saturday have also been in touch. The problem with smart phones is not everybody is smart enough to answer them when they ring.

           Whether you travel east or west of Lake Okeechobee, the difference is less than nine miles. Rounding off, it is a 250 mile trip each way, a good day on a motorcycle. The travel time is four hours on the freeway and an hour through the city at the best of times. The Miami rush hour has long since reached Third World proportions and the failure of the cities to invest in cloverleaf intersections has created permanent chaos. They keep adding spidery ramps, now six deep in some of the worst areas. And all that does is shift the problem a few hundred yards down the way.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++