Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 5, 2017

June 5, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 5, 2016, aw, the little bunny.
Five years ago today: June 5, 2012, soon, Colorado bound.
Nine years ago today: June 5, 2008, the maps are wrong.
Random years ago today: June 5 ,2007, yours for $250k.

           This is the wood stain I’m talking about. I keep calling it English Cherry, but it is English Chestnut number 233. This is a leftover can from the robot club, it was still around three-quarters full. That’s 100% of the proper staining technique I’ve learned is from this one little can. It is finally being used up after four years, as you may be aware, the club property usually has the year of acquisition written somewhere. Not the age of the article, just the time it came into possession.

           Up at 5:00AM listening to 1380, the quasi-local “Watchdog on Wall Street” station. It only comes in clearly that early. The rest of the day it is drowned out by some foreign music station, feel free to comment on that one. Today he was questioning the wisdom letting people who hate you come live in your country, but otherwise it was on about this Russian interference in the election. It seems the liberal media is flogging that one to death. Every election since Kennedy was rigged, so why are they on about this one? Ah, because Trump stepped on their toes. Got it.
           I view that as another smokescreen, but over what? I dunno, TV warps people’s thinking over what is important, so how would I know or care what they think? I care about my 18% increase in food costs, even my budget can’t accept that for very long. I thought I posted that, but can’t find it, so I’ll risk a repeat. I have a standard basket of good that I buy as my own inflation measure. It’s a small bag of packaged goods (to prevent weight or volume distortion) used for comparison, and it is up from $16.96 last year in June to $20.01 y’day.

           Biggest price increase was evaporated milk, followed by biscuit dough, oops, I got that backward. The dough was tops, going from 2 for a dollar to $0.59 cents each. Which is right on 18%. This is serious news for many people, more so than myself where I can easily shift cash away from other items to cover food costs. Others may not be so smart lucky, yet not a word of this in the news. It would seem the media only reports those items that support their cause. And I am certain that is not what the founders meant by freedom of the press.
           This is another grave issue Trump is ignoring. He hinted at it during the run-up, but has since decided playing international hero is more important than the promises he made. He said he might take a look at the defamation laws, make it easier to sue the press. That’s fizzled, along with his wall and his tough deportation talk. My point is that the press should be confined to reporting only the facts, without adornment or editorial. And it must be all the facts based on regular reviews of what the majority want to hear. As long as such facts are the primary content, the newspaper is protected by freedom.

           But the moment they overstep that limit and start pushing their own agenda, that’s it. They should be as liable as anybody else who causes harm. That would, in my opinion, include the right to sue the newspaper for printing the names of accused people who eventually are exonerated. The paper could still print editorial opinion, but it must be clearly marked as such and be subject to libel laws. I think I already stated I am a supported of prescribed damages. That’s where if you call somebody a name that harms him (insulting is okay, it has to actually harm the person), he can sue without having to prove damages. This “proof of damage” has been used by the courts to discourage libel suits by the lower economic classes, and that is so wrong.

           One positive about Trump will outlive him. He brought the liberal movement to a standstill. That’s a huge accomplishment because it is difficult for one man to undo all the damage in one or two terms. What’s important here is the liberal destruction of the country can only continue if it is pressed ahead all the time, so that the erosion of the system becomes perceived as normal. When Trump even slows it down, it dangerous to their cause. Why? Because when Trump is gone, they must push harder—but that plays their hand and the rednecks can’t stomach too much liberalism at once. Trump may have permanently crimped their treasonous ways. Especially now that the patriotic vote has been awakened.

Picture of the day.
Stone headges.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Then, I felt a little off kilter, so I exercised an option I never had. I said, “Up your’s, World”. And I walked out the back to my private work shed, closed the door, and spent the afternoon being let alone. Here is the art of staining wood as best I learned it so far. It was a bit lo-tech, but that doesn’t mean you can take shortcuts. Here is the cherry stain on pine, I think. Do you like that look? I do, and you cannot imagine how much fun I had with it.
           I’m no finishing carpenter, but just to walk out the door and slam it, then out to the back yard, that was fine. Comfortable, well lighted, no neighbors, totally electric, cup of coffee, radio, and no schedule. It’s like a cocoon working out there. Too bad no shed will ever be big enough. Twenty-four outlets and I’m already running power bars. The shed is designed for one person and I’m already out of receptacles.

           The work was simple. Agt. R indicated the bench would be near an outdoor shower. That changes things. Not only will somebody sit on the bench, they might be butt neck-ked. So explaining to Agt. R that one day he might get home early from work and find one of his sons in a panic. The girlfriend is in pain, so the son has to hold her down while R removes the splinter. For this, he will either curse me or thank me. The point is, I had to re-do the entire set of rails. Sanded down to 150 grit, then re-stained, as shown here. These planks are about the maximum size that can be worked inside the shed. The shed is meant to be a one-person space.

           Trivia. Kleenex was introduced in the 1920s as a product to remove cold cream. It was only later that they learned people were using them for blowing their noses and wiping spills. I take this to mean people in 1920 used a lot more cold cream than they do now. Another product I can’t find is Mapleline. Or is it Mapeline? Anyway, it’s the artificial maple syrup flavoring. Since we never had real maple syrup growing up, we used a mixture of sugar, water, and a teaspoon of this stuff. It was so runny it soaked to the center of the hotcakes and I would like to find some. Try it with corn syrup or something, since the real maple syrup is something like $36 a gallon now.
           Moments later, I found it at Wal*mart. It’s called Mapleine. I was spelling it wrong, duh, and not paying attention. I also should have clarified that it is specifically Mapleine that has the characteristic flavor when mixed with vanilla-flavored corn syrup. The other imitation maple flavorings are not the same.

Quote of the Day:
“Power, n.: The only narcotic regulated by the SEC instead of the FDA.”
~Anon.

           Here’s a shot of the stain being applied. One summer in college, I worked at a millwork and recall how they hired all these Pakistanis to work the stain department. Because their skin was the same color as the stain. There was no OSHA back then and they had their bare hands in the stain 37.5 hours per week. I’m somewhat more cautious.
           I should be more cautious about the DVDs I play. Waiting for some glue to dry, I threw on “Airline Disaster” and picked out the instrumental break to “Wasted Days & Wasted Nights”. Not my favorite, but it has a nearly perfect break for the bass treatment. For the record, I have a term for playing this type of riff, I call it “Returning To Bass”.

           In western music, a lot of melody notes are syncopated. That leaves tiny moments where, if you move fast, you can keep the bass cadence moving “between” the other notes. It mimics in reverse the way Chet Atkins would fake a bass line while he’s picking a tunes. On that count, it is a judgment call whether or not I invented it. However, at the rate I’m learning that technique, it will go nowhere unless I live to be 120.

           Now this airline DVD, it is really bad. It’s a low budget takeoff on the other hijack movies. It has all the clichés. The pilot’s kidnapped family, the lady president, the untried satellite laser, and of course, all the movie extras running around in the streets, at least more than usual. Throw in the usual humanist drama about whether to shoot the plane down over a population center, and make sure to paint the Aryan Brotherhood as not real revolutionaries, but ordinary thieves. It is a Hollywood imperative that anyone who wants real change in this country be portrayed as insane.
           As always, it is some off-duty lady agent who is the hero. Fortunately, or maybe mercifully, this movie did not get into her background, although you may presume she is a divorcee with special kids, which she raises in addition to her full time job as a secret agent or whatever. It’s all grade B acting but let me tell you, the real disaster in that movie is the lady president’s hairdo.

           In other news, the red cardinals have learned to duck under the new bar on the feeder. I don’t know yet if that has defeated the blue jay, as that bird is skittish in the extreme. When I notice movement in the yard, I must lean back behind a lace curtain to get a view. The blue jay can detect this movement even though from outside in the daylight, it is barely possible to see anything but a reflection.
           And the “Reaper” is over half-way. If I have time, I’m reading up on the history of this coltran oops, I mean coltan material. The story indicates it is like a coarse sand and there is another item quite new to me, called “orgonite”. According to the plot, some 1930 New Age type, says this compound is magic. What? You want me to define “New Age”? That’s people who fail math, chemistry, and physics at a high school level or less. Orgonite is to be spread into the water supply and produce miracles, whether other people want them or not. Reisler, what’s the guy’s name? Something like that. Return for more info.


Last Laugh
(Fred, I can see your house.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++