Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 5, 2017

November 5, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 5, 2016, that’s pronounced “dah-LEE”.
Five years ago today: November 5, 2012, an inspired post
Nine years ago today: November 5, 2008, $88 a gallon.
Random years ago today: November 5, 2010, flat-screen TVs are junk!

           Sunday. Why isn’t this place full of prancing females? If you figure it out, let me know. It’s funny because this is the one place they could get away with just about anything. I guess women like the more restrictive situations they get with possessive-type men. Like my maniacal brothers. I also have evidence from that direction that some women actually like dreary pickup lines, which I’ll never understand. And you know me, I absolutely believe anything women over 30 tell me, especially when they say they are faithful virgins. (This picture is the only one I could find of virgins, and I'm not so sure about the twelve of them on the left.) All of a sudden, I feel like talking about women. You okay with that?
           Let me lead up to how women got involved with this morning. I was in Winter Haven filing documents, yes, on a Sunday. When the court says 20 days, they mean 20 days so you’d better not waste weekends. I composed six letters for the Defendant, with multiple copies of each sent to multiple parties. If you’ve ever done this, you realize why lawyers charge so much. They make the work overly complicated and most of them would lose money if they had one centralized place where all the disputing parties would have to go find every piece of correspondence for themselves.

           A good example is these court filings. Why should the Defendant be tasked with sending copies to anyone? File one copy with the court and make it incumbent on the Plaintiff to keep current with that. No, that is not unfair to the Plaintiff because I know from experience it still takes minimum ten days to get a written response, which really draws matters out. On the other hand, I check my e-mail every weekday morning and most Saturdays. Almost instant turnaround.
           So anyway, there I am on noon break again wearing a dress shirt and tie. In Florida, this is rare. It’s partially the climate, but really more the lack of a professional class of office workers. See a well-dressed man in these parts and you’re probably looking at a bible salesman. I went to the only place I really know downtown, the craft beer restaurant. Well damned if I must have got there on lady’s day. There I am plowing through the paperwork when I get this feeling I’m being watched. Then it hits me. Boy, am I ever being watched. It must have been the tie, right? That, or maybe something in the drinking water.

           With my terrific peripheral vision, I sized up table after table of dem broads. Not one carefree party gal in the lot but it was rather evident I was the only single man in the building, excepting the bartenders. But they weren’t wearing ties. Or maybe because I was the only person drinking coffee? I had time for a good look around. Was this a meeting of some kind? No, the tables didn’t know each other. It was an interesting twist, in that any one of those ladies who’d had the nerve to approach me without fear of rejection would at least have gotten a date like she’d never had before. Sitting pretty went out with the hula hoop.
           Um, you didn't really count all the women in that picture, did you?

Picture of the day.
The train to Silverton.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           After noon break, I had to wait around for two hours, so I got out my handy notes on electronics. Yes, that’s a topic that can get complicated, but unlike the legal papers, the complication exists in Nature, not fabricated by some convoluted logic. You’ll get bored here if you aren’t into electronics. The following material I wrong long-hand and later redacted it to what you see here. Careful, maybe I did that to see who is really paying attention.
           I spent the morning reading in-depth (for me) material on PWM, pulse width modulation. I know it works and I could actually say I know how it doesn’t work. A batch of the controllers and transistors I’d bought some years back were defective and took me weeks to figure it out. Electricity, though fast, is not instant. PWM is the process of switching a DC current off and on fast enough for it to behave at some intermediate voltage. Beginner robotics classes will usually teach this as a method of controlling the speed of a DC motor. What I’m looking at today is the effect of frequency. Sure, now that you’re curious, I’ll explain that in more detail.


           In the last paragraph, I used the clause “fast enough”. I mean the speed that has a desired effect, like dimming an LED or operating a buzzer. The electric current is turned off and on in a ratio called the duty cycle. A 75% duty cycle means the current is on 3/4 of the time and off the other 1/4. Thus, a 10V current in would behave as a 7.5V current out. But this makes no mention of frequency. If you repeatedly flipped a light switch on for 45 seconds and off for 15 seconds, you would have the same duty cycle as if you flipped it in the same ratio 120 times per second. It isn’t rocket science to spot the first frequency isn’t as useful as the second.
           That’s what I’m reading about today. The innards of how this frequency affects the behavior of the circuit. I’ve always had difficulty understanding op amps, though I can easily connect them and make them work. As usual, there are several ways to implement a duty cycle, some with fancy titles like “phase corrected”. These topics are not dealt with in most tutorials, which attracts my attention. Note that if you try to study the same material as I am, you’ll quickly ascertain that 99% of all websites and textbooks are beginner’s level. The remaining 1% can be impossible to decipher. Guess which portion I’m working on?

           Late afternoon found me still in Winter Haven, too late to start anything else. So I pulled into the Sunday Jam at the BAR. They play a lot of older rock and I was so nice to dial up the Hippie and lay my phone on the table so he could enjoy the music along with the rest of us. I held the phone up so he could hear the cheering when I entered the building. Around the same time I looked over to the right and what do I see?
           Two tables full of the same women from the restaurant, now sufficiently lit up. I quickly walked up to the bar and sat by myself. They saw the staff set me down free drinks and heard the band asking me to play. By now I was curious if any one of them [women] would act independently now that they were half-drunk. Nope.
           So I get up on stage. This club is unique to me, the first place I did a full set on my own. Um, I have not really practiced much guitar since the collision back in September, so I was shy to play. That was influenced by my not really remembering the lyrics to all of the songs I can now play. But you bet, I followed my own rule about playing every song with a distinctive strum. No, not picking a melody or playing riffs, but in most cases, a unique strum I invented myself that I think typifies the tune. (I did not say my strums were original, only that I invented them for myself.)

           Hmmm, I must be doing that part of it right, as some of the ladies were able to guess what I was going to play. Within twenty minutes, I had them all standing and dancing behind the row of tables at the back of the room. The song that went over best was Twitty’s “Tight Fittin’ Jeans”. They [the women]were all wearing dresses. The emcee who normally allows only three songs per turn kept me up there for forty minutes, by which time I noticed one of the ladies had a pretty good shape on her.
           But then, the strangest thing happened. I was halfway through a sing-a-long, my last song of the evening, when all nine ladies suddenly grabbed their purses and left. Just like that. Two minutes later when I got off stage, poof! They were gone. Like they were on call.

           I have some advice for such ladies. There is an age to quit being shy. I don’t know that age, but it’s before you hit 30 anyway. Also, ditch the smart phone. Men, by and large, want a woman they do not have to worry about. Being over-attached to a phone doesn’t leave that impression. It’s a pity that men, as youths, are not coached to find such women, but nor are women trained how to avoid bad men. Where I will approach women in up to groups of three, above that, why bother? It’s a hen party. Here was a situation where nine women watched me for an hour and not one of them was plucky enough to wink or say, “Hi.”
           And that was the end of that.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++