Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February 28, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 28, 2017, Mr. Puerco disappeared. Good.
Five years ago today: February 28, 2013, on behalf of democracy . . .
Nine years ago today: February 28, 2009, and what’s left over . . .
Random years ago today: February 28, 2003, on trifling with Canadians.

           Nine hours y’day and my musk-els are sore. That’s because I had a desk job, peeps, so cool it with the comments. I’m as healthy as the next guy, probably more because he’s busting his arse. I got out before the stress got me directly. I took off to the library to research everything from shed construction to varieties of tarpaper. None if this took, it was all forgotten within the hour. That, you could say, is the polar opposite of artificial intelligence. I’ve seen completely dumb people work like a computer. They can’t discriminate what is important, so they instead attempt to remember everything. And just like computers, such users don’t have a clue how the retrieval system works, or that they can never rise above the competence level of the designer, who, if you follow my meaning, coded in C+.
           This was the high point of the morning, installing the electrical box for the bathroom fan. That’s how it’s done. This is the easy part. The rest is running the cable. Billions to the man who invents an easier way to run electric cable, the kind between the walls. Maybe a robot that can fish tape anything. The photo is before and after, it is not intended to entertain. It’s educational. At least for me.

           You are not going to get a slower day, blog-wise. I was on the wall for another nine hours, mostly running electrical. Darn rights it takes me that long and I’m not a fraction done. If this was a contract, I’ve lost money by now. Even the radio programs were ho-hum. The day centered on work in the house, but I’ll compare that to the boredom of working a job any day. I look back on life and hate the years wasted working for a living. The people I know who don’t hate it seem to think that working eight hours per day is the way things are supposed to be.
           For that matter, many of the earliest posts of this blog were events at the office. It’s a good thing I’ve long since forgotten the people mentioned. Their names mean nothing any more. The unique thing about me in my peer group is that I was the first one to get out. All the rest worked until by 2004 they were all canned. Everything is contracted out with your corresponding decline in service.

           Here’s a better view of the electric rough-in. The work space is still taken up by my sawhorses, so I’ll have to clear things away before I can get you a picture from far enough back to show the scale of the task involved with this wall. You can see the growing sophistication of my wiring skills, maybe note the mix of 15A and 20A wiring. The far side of the wall, toward the kitchen is all 20A. In fact, the only 15A remaining in the building is the bedrooms, and they have two separate circuits each. That is, no one blown fuse can plunge the room into darkness.
           See? I told you you’d like it.

           The tablet has a virus that can’t be detected by the built-in apps. At least I think it is a virus, it is identical to some key being held down by accident. But it continues after the keyboards are removed. Let’s see, blog rules say to mention food today. Great, and I’m on day 91 of my diet. Wait, here’s something. The tablet has thrown my coffee budget off. Coffee is tracked separately from travel or restaurant meals, and since 2012 when I found the bakery, and because the local library coffee is only $1 per cup, I got spoiled.
           Now, due to Dunkin Donuts and Burger King (who serve great coffee), I’m consistently spending close to $100 per month. Both places have free WiFi. To this day, I cannot pronounce that as “wee-fee”, because I know where it comes from. And I finally found the tripod stand for the Fishman PA. Now I remember, it is missing two of the adjustment knobs. I still haven’t taken inventory of my music gear since the move. But I’m confident everything is there.

Picture of the day.
Guoliang tunnel.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           By end of day, it was still slow and quiet over here. Things that are everyday rise to the status of top stories. Do you have days like that? I know people who have nothing but. Okay, what would the top stories be on a nothing day like this if I chose to write about them? Easy. Another little mouse has to go. It was those scratching noises at 2:00AM. That was his or her last night. I found a recipe for butterscotch, which I cannot eat. I watched two twenty-minute documentaries on what’s new in robotics, which is nothing. And read Jimmy Ruska, though it can be problematic to pick past all his pro-queer links.
           Apparently the US has passed net neutrality laws, but notice this significant event did not even make the back pages. I’m still reading “Chromosome 6”, by chapter four, other than visit from the boys who make inconvenient corpses disappear, the action has still not picked up. This is about par on my scale of measuring out the box for the new bathroom ceiling fan. Here’s the hit German weather girl. And I was right. One hit with the new sledge fixed the stubborn problem, and I may not use the hammer again for another twenty years.

           Later for relaxation I customized a bass line to Hank Jr.’s “Attitude Adjustment”. The tune has a lot of studio enhancements and overdubs. The existing bass line is fast but uninspired. There is an interesting walkdown at the end of the chorus, a jazz progression, so I changed it to double stops. Pretty snappy, if I must say so myself. Then it hit me the notes are a generic piano lick, hmmm, it could probably be made to fit in several other tunes I know that have weak spots. Let me get back to you on that.
           The woodpecker family has returned, though I’ve heard them only. That’s a krewe of woodpeckers, by the way. They are extremely active and probably happy I left those two tree stumps eight feet high. I’ve seen the bluejay around as well, he’s figured out how to get at the cardinal seed. He simply tips the whole feeder until some of the seed falls to the ground.

ADDENDUM
           What’s this? I post in the evenings instead of the mornings for a bit and half my readership disappears. Let me explain something, gang. We are having a heat wave over here and I need the mornings to work before it gets too hot. It was 86°F out there by noon and I don’t have the A/C installed in the new room yet. I was kind of hoping I didn’t have to do that until spring. Okay? You want the blog, I want loyalty. That’s as fair as things ever get online, I'll have you know.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++