Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 1, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 1, 2017, 143.6 languages . . .
Five years ago today: May 1, 2013, do they really?
Nine years ago today: May 1, 2009, jigsaw puzzle table size.
Random years ago today: May 1, 2006, wow, 40 gigabytes.

           Here’s the type of cabinet I want for the dual washstand. This could have been the one except it was kid-sized. Only 16” wide, only 52” long. It shows the concept why I want those bowls that rest atop the counter. If I get sinks that drop into a cutout, a lot of that drawer space gets wasted. And storage space even in the new bathroom will be cramped. Rated against the $1,800 wanted for new vanities, I think a piece of furniture like this is a great idea. I need it 22” wide and 60” long. Also, with the bowls on top, I don’t have to be too fussy about the height. I saw a stereo cabinet that was ideal, but the amount of conversion work was over my head. I expect to find something suitable for less than $40.
           Another delay was the need to recalculate my wiring requirements. I need another 150 feet. Why? Can’t I measure run lengths. Yes, but a tiny provision in the new code moved the end points. Most how-to manuals will show you how to wire in a switch that is past a light fixture. You know, where the light is nearby but the switch is on the other side of the room. Can’t do that no more. All overhead light fixtures must be at the end of the run. That means you must run the power to the switch first, then back to the light. Add 150 feet.

           I glanced over the available evidence, and yes, I should have seen the problem with the guitar player earlier. But the real tip-off was how much she was reading into those one or two songs with the audience lady singing. She was thinking, I guess, how she could play those so well it must be a signal to the band to start switching over to her favorites. Get the group away from those silly standing ovations and into being more like other bands.
           As if we had not thoroughly discussed and agree that went nowhere and was not going to happen. Guitar players can be really thick-headed that way. It had the opposite effect—why doesn’t she pour a tenth of that effort into learning to play real rhythm, and this band would be in Nashville within the year. But no, you can’t fix stupid. Three months later, she still needs a chord chart to play Jambalaya at the wrong tempo. She lasted twelve hours on stage.

           [Author’s note: she played the tunes referred to above to the Guitar Center standard. She memorized every part. No theory, no ear, no talent, no thinking, can’t read notes, can’t even read tablature, just year after year of rote memorization. Cannot change the key, cannot sing the song, cannot adapt a thing. But worst, cannot learn anything new any other way. Great, provided you have five years for her to learn each new song. She actually had a negative aptitude for learning. If she did something new the right way, something else would go haywire.
           I wonder if Guitar Center is where they learn to lie, as well. Since they are supposedly individuals, they are getting the group-think from somewhere. I specifically asked her if she had taken these kind of “lessons” and should have picked up she was not able to strum even at the novice level. Memorization is not a substitute for talent and as I’ve said, few guitarists realize that until they meet a bassist like me. Can’t instantly transpose keys? Then don’t tell me you can play guitar. And I’m not especially picking on them, because I know bassists who can’t change keys either. As far as I’m concerned, those people can’t play bass, either.]


Picture of the day.
I can't afford it.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           If you see a pic of a fan here, that’s what’s taking all day. Everybody loves that phrase, “easy installation”, you know, with basic hand tools. I opted for the smallest fan, the catalog I have is dated 2005 so prices have almost exactly doubled. My thinking is the R-13 insulation provides 13°F of barrier, and I like it around 77°F inside, so I can set the thermostat (I found them, they are usually sold separately at Lowe’s) at 90°F and see how that works.
           I intend to run the snakelies out of this fan, almost year round. If that fails, I’ll run R-30 batts and set it at 120°F. I contacted Minnesota Duane, the guitar player, to see if he was serious or just drinking that afternoon. You see, all he has to do is hang onto the framework of what I’m playing to sound like a pro until he catches on. Let’s not examine too closely how I met so far 51 “guitar players” who didn’t catch on.
           Ah, I did get the fan picture. Here it is, along with the gable where it will be mounted. This involves building a crawlway along the rafters. This would be likely necessary anyway, as it is the easiest way to get the wiring in the righ places. What a grueling task. The days are still cool, but the maximum attic time before it gets probably dangerous to work in the heat is around three hours.

           My original plan to lay down plywood proved insufficient, and the plywood that would have worked was more expensive than 2x6”, so I went for the planks. I can reuse them for the Florida room later. But each piece has to be fed upward through the hatch from the bathtub and I got exactly six feet done all day. Cross pieces have to be cut and positioned to slide the planks across. I broke the lens on my cell phone wriggling around there with my cordless drill, attaching the braces. I will have to frame in a mounting for the fan as the original studs don’t stand the fan back far enough from the gable louvers. There are two other gables in the building and they provide the exact but minimum square footage intake opening, so I won’t have to install soffits.
           I’ll get you some photos up in there, as I will be also wiring the overhead lighting and ceiling fans. It’s the hardest work so far and I’m taking the evening off. Further calculations with the specifications on the box show I should leave the thermostat at 100°F and use mechanical cooling after that, if needed. This fan bracket will probably have to be build in place, as the pieces are too large to move up there pre-assembled. I’m hoping for tomorrow, you see, that fan in place is a priority over doing any other work up there.

           Later, I went back up there to get you this photo, the bare attic before any work. Shown here is a generic photo that tries to show all the main features of what I’m up against. I’ll point out the major elements, first that the area is bone dry, although the humidity is equal to outdoors. The lumber is brittle and can be fastened with screws only, providing you have at least a 3/32” pilot hole. The diagonal black line is the original cloth-wound electrical, in this case the bathroom light. The white object on the left is a plastic bag, since the part shown here has been swept of cobwebs and rodent droppings.
           The normal area I’m working with is over twice this long, with the planks laid across spanners where I must move parallel to the rafters. The base, or bottom supports no weight, it is the 1/2” drywall of the ceiling. The piece of wood in the back ground is a length of furring strip being installed to run the electrical cables. Behind it is a 2x4” rib, which is how the light fixtures were originally supported. Today’s code demands metal brackets. The fixture is the hallway light, unswitched. It is impossible to sit upright in the confined area, all you see here must be completed with a push stick. This is more exercise than I usually get in a week.

ADDENDUM
           Can birds be enticed to use the same next box annually? It’s one of those questions the Internet experts don’t seem to answer so quickly. One catch is the dimensions. It isn’t exactly cheap any more to find solid wood pieces that are 7” wide. There’s one design calls for 15”, which I’ve never seen. No, they are not blueprints intended for plywood, as there is pretty universal advice that plywood contains chemical rosins that can leach and kill wildlife. There’s always a chance of me finally getting a biscuit joiner, but my plate is pretty full for now. Yes, I’m aware the biscuits still require a chemical glue, unless something else would work.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++