Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, May 12, 2018

May 12, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 12, 2017, Mitchfruit.
Five years ago today: May 12, 2013, six months in six weeks . . .
Nine years ago today: May 12, 2009, ambiguous language.
Random years ago today: May 12, 2015, the Evergalades. Again.

           The new camper is here, even if I did have to steal a truck to make it so. What actually happened is I went to the site this morning and my note was still stuck on the door. Meaning Agt. R was visiting and the truck was in the yard. I happen to know where the key is and as expected, the gas needle was on empty. A quarter tank, that’s all I put in, and I was heading east to Winter Haven. I find the truck to be perfectly serviceable and only in need of minor maintenance. I decline to release it for sale. I took the hitch off the cPod and bolted it to the bumper, which is high enough off the ground to tilt the new camper back at a jaunty angle, but well within params.
           When I got there, the nice lady was gone but had sown me a little quilt to fit inside. She’s on the mailing list and the Smithsonian just got a step closer. The extra weight is an illusion, the new unit is only 24 pounds heavier, not bad considering that metal frame. It is unfinished inside, ideal for converting to 12 volt Nirvana. LED lights, fans, rechargers, and I have two marine batteries that still last overnight on a single charge. That’s good enough.

           Here is another family photo of the motorcycles and trailers. It is so nice to have a big back yard where you can park what you want. That whole no parking scam is a wrong foot that got started too long ago. I have yet to see a city that has adequate free parking for everyone. Left to right, the new Mark III, in the middle behind is the cPod, now a supply trailer, and of course, the batbike, which has been temporarily decommissioned. I’ll be tending to that shortly. The supply trailer idea is tentative. There have been eight power outages since I arrived here, one of them what, a week or so. I’m considering mounting a soundproofed generator in there with enough juice to power the whole house. Including a meat freezer. And being mobile, it has other possibilities.

Picture of the day.
Land's End.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Back home before noon, it’s attic time, but not until I wire in a switch for that fan. You see, the way it works is the fan has a thermostat that is situated in the air flow. The instructions say to hard wire the fan, but that doesn’t address what happens when you are not at home. You are not going to crawl all the way through the attic to set that thermostat on high every time you leave town. They recommend setting it at 95° to 105°. Without a kill switch, you are going to be exhausting a superheated attic 20+ hours per day while you are on holidays, say, for instance, at the Smithsonian. I like coming home to a cool place. The fan drops the temperature within minutes of ignition, so there’s little sense in leaving it on when the house is vacant.
           I had a restless night, ordinary sleeplessness, so that means I really got some real musical covered with the two new tunes. “Running Bear”, with a drum pattern of wrong notes, that is a winner. If you give it a listen, you will notice that drum beat, that’s the effect I have on the bass. Then the chorus smoothes right out, an opportunity to really fly at those un-guitar-like thirds. What a combination! Fact is, I would never have picked that for a winner simply due to age. But I’ve got a hypnotic bass pattern that spells tip jar time.

           The other tune, “Do Wah Diddy” is the same, though musically it’s a recording studio special. I hear all the glitches and splices, plus I can tell the song was not recorded all in one session. Possibly I notice because I know the technology used, which makes me wonder why so many tunes these days exhibit many of the same, what to call them, flaws? I spent two hours on that walking beat at the end, where the bass changes completely. Why was it so difficult? Then it hit me—it’s another overdub. The way I deal with that is to play a compromise bass line that projects what the audience is expecting to hear. This works quite well most of the time. It’s kind of the technical side of music. I don’t mind though it is hard labor enough to keep me from doing it all over.
           I finished the jigsaw puzzle with only one missing piece, about my speed. Hey, I don’t have a table yet, so I did it on my desk, moving it around whenever I needed to work. So it might turn up, the goal here being to relax with the first puzzle like that in years. It moved a little slow so I watched DVDs meanwhile. I’ve got one for you. It is probably not Hollywood’s intention being that they are pro-queer anything (same as has happened in other countries with similar circumstances), but they pulled a boo-boo. They have for years been on with their agenda of presenting wierdos as just ordinary people in one big happy family, but starting with Star Wars, I see a pattern.

           Whenever there is a robot or computer type machine that malfunctions and turns on its creators, the subconscious mistake is the voice they use. It has that annoying half-gender Millennial lisp to it. See, I bet you just thought of some examples already. Of course, the script wants to make the errant entity as annoying as possible, so there’s your connection with what I’m talking about. Want to make something aggravating to even have around, give it that “funny” accent. Tampa radio news knows exactly what I mean.

WIP - return after I get settled in in Miami. I'm doing Sunday to avoid the traffic.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++