Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 27, 2018

July 27, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 27, 2017, exceeds reality by 30x.
Five years ago today: July 27, 2013, 10,420 miles on the clock.
Nine years ago today: July 27, 2009, what do you MEAN.
Random years ago today: July 27, 2007, reads like a Dear Diary.

           The meetings today were fairly serious. I’m not in the habit of asking for anything twice or telling anyone twice. And my instructions to go see the commissary lady were not followed. Now, it requires up to 40 days after she signs the document to get the health inspection. So I thought she had done that middle of last month. Nope. And today I find out she left for Hawaii for three weeks. If she signs the middle of August when she returns, it will likely be October before we get that health inspection. Well, maybe next time people will do what I say. What do you think?
           It’s mushroom season. They’re everywhere. This batch is the lawn at the library, which closes early on Fridays when nobody is there. So the place was vacant when I rolled up at 3:30PM. I was busy all day chasing around over the hotdog cart and I may have found a replacement burner system. It’s a brand of Coleman camp stove that coincidentally has the burners the same distance apart and the dimensions given show it will fit my firebox. Great, I’d had to have to modify that.

           As for the missing grill, we are going to liberate a suitable piece of diamond mesh from the local free supply. I found a few that were big enough, but the were that cast aluminum material, not the heavy steel I’m seeking. This grill is separate from the stand and measures 22” x 10”, large enough for any amount of dogs we could produce. That’s where we kicked around ideas for what to fry up for aroma. I found my old percolator and as bad as campfire coffee tastes, the aroma is unmistakable. It wouldn’t be profitable to sell hot drinks outdoor in Florida, but frying onions requires fairly constant attention.
           Month two is not over and already I’ve lost $468, all capitalized expenses. I put 584 business miles on the car, which was not in the master plan. I have no reliable motorcycle, so I’ve been driving the Taurus for minor trips like stationary supply and to the ATM. This is most costly, but at this time there is nobody else. From the outside, this whole operation looks like Agt. R’s idea, but you know better. Think of it this way, he’s a great bartender, but other than ordering more beer, he’s not able to run the office part. And you know me, damned if I’ll let anybody else see the books. I got enough crazy old ladies trying to pick me up as it is.

           This is a representative picture of the Coleman burner I located. Around $200, but a superior product. Who says blogs aren’t practical? Moments after he viewed this picture, Agt. R recalled there are several Coleman burners and ovens in the far back shed. Within minutes we were going through them and while we have nothing yet, it will be a few hours before we can dig into the pile. What we found is quality. I’ve heard Coleman has been slipping lately, but their older gear cannot be beat.

Picture of the day.
Motherboard, 2018.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This is a closeup of the repaired waste water tap, required by the Health Department. The old piece jutted out a bit too far and got snapped off somewhere along the line. The blue object is the tan, an odd size of 7 gallons. The waste tank must exceed water capacity by 15%, so we are up at 40%. Good, because I could not find a replacement so I coupled PVC and CPVC, as shown here, to get a good seal. This is not a pressurized system, so don’t worry about the mixed material.
           That tap was $7.50. The whole assembly was $11. With inflation like that looming, this cart may be just in time. The one thing you can count on is that no matter how much food costs, you’ll be able to sell it. There is a one hour meeting scheduled later, so return tomorrow to find out if the conversation turns to this subject, the vending cart as a hedge against inflation. Now that I’ve got this far, there are two more things I’m certain of. The guy who sold us this contraption is not making anything like the money he’s been letting on. And I don’t think he himself knows if he is actually making any money. I haven’t sold a hotdog yet, but I can see how I’ll have to resort to standard costing to answer that question myself. I doubt the guy even knows what standard costing is.

           I crawled up near the bedroom A/C for a cool siesta, and found a fascinating book. Well, I mean that from the way it is scientifically accurate. It’s about some French guy who was partners with the guy who developed the photograph, but they had a falling out. The other guy became famous (daguerreotypes) and our guy wound up in New Orleans hiring prostitutes. Too much information, but the story of how they learned to fix photos is plausible. He stored a copper plate in a cabinet where he’d hidden a broken thermometer. The mercury vapor fixed, as in stopped from fading, the image on the plate. If it remains accurate, I’ll get you the details.
           My work area is small, just a coffee table, really. I won’t be happy until I get a full desk set up again. I’m possibly going to make the table top into a chalkboard. It had been covered with an hideous leopard-spot wallpaper years before. It peeled up the veneer when I removed it. I need the space to sketch out the wiring, I need to proceed with that before long, or the heat will keep me out of my fine kitchen for another summer. In the background I threw on one of those Narnia tales.

           Somehow I missed that whole Narnia sequence. That King Arthur bit for me was a couple of weeks when I was twelve or so years of age. I was never mystified by it and I recognized things like feudalism and superstition as marks of minds that never matured. So by the time I first heard of Narnia, it was already some cult affair that everybody knew except me, and I still don’t. The movie is filled with allusions to other situations that went before and that’s got me. The special effects are great, but so far the wars and sea serpents and scenery are all too Robinson Crusoe.


           Here’s a picture I’d downloaded a while back that would not open. It shows the devastation caused by the citrus blight. This pretty much says it all. Especially to people who whine when the authorities show up to cut down their ornamentals. This fungus permanently puts these growers out of business. I’m not so sure about the switch to peaches and other fruits. Epidemics are man-made and will not the next fungus just follow? Maybe the whole system of growing fruit in orchards is flawed.
           I played through my song list, I’m ready but my band isn’t. There’s a funny thing about most bands once they are formed. They think at that point they don’t need any more management.

ADDENDUM
           The American people these days are awakening to the most glorious sound of all. The squealing of liberals as the mass deportations and closed borders continue. That might not sit right with some, but it is the will of the majority. The majority of Americans don’t want foreign wars or trade deals or open immigration, those are the doings of a small but powerful minority. Please, everyone, get that straight in your minds, the American people were never asked if they wanted those things. Hence, I speak for many when I say it’s high time we shut down their policies and called it quits with most of the world. The average American has no interest in North Korea, Libya, Iran, or Germany and does not understand or agree with what we are doing there.
           Myself, I’m just as happy the liberals are whining as I am the wall is being built. The domestic enemy is much worse than the outsiders. I would agree with any policy that causes the same reaction in liberals simply because they have been imposing their will upon the majority for so long they deserve any pain that comes their way. And once again, there is an uncanny match between the numbers of deportations and the new job creation statistics. They’ll not soon convince me that is only coincidence.

           The ad says Florida spends $100 million per year to feed and house illegal immigrant convicts. Out they go, I say. Ship them to the border if Mexican, or to the seashore elsewise and turn them loose on the beach. They have no business here and they are not refugees. Look at the history of any place on the planet the planet where the Spaniards set foot and you will see dictatorship and corruption are their normal way of life—because they don’t have the cajones to do anything about it. But they sure get brave when arriving in a free society that allows guns and rights. Enough. My trade agreement is simple, ship them back wholesale.
           She’s hot today, but not as hot as the collars on those liberals, who, when it comes to their own kind, are the true intolerant rednecks of the community.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++