Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, September 15, 2018

September 15, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 15, 2017, semi-functional working parts.
Five years ago today: September 15, 2013, reasonably so-so.
Nine years ago today: September 15, 2009, I didn't like it.
Random years ago today: September 15, 2007, lack of anything new.

           Here’s a nice shot of leftover hotdogs in my fridge. Want some? Saturday, and time to take inventory. That’s both physical and mental. Okay, that’s done. Two seconds. I’ll carry on today and run some spreadsheets now that we have actual numbers. I’m learning plenty and I’m re-reading the chapter in the book where that guy found a gas station with a shed to the side where he could just push his wagon inside at night and lock up.
           I’m having doubts about the alley as such a great location, but we still have four other known spots where sales in the past were enough to attract vendors. Nor am I convinced that opening up late at night is such a great idea. So, let’s depart from hotdogs for a bit and move on to things that have been pushed behind schedule.
           No wait. One more thing about hotdogs. My associate wants music, so I provided a radio. He promptly turns it to a station he likes and turns down the volume. It has become evident I am dealing with a nearly major lack of practical experience in the field. But it is not a complete lack, for instance, some of the hotdogs split open when left in the holding pan too long. He know those are the ones you use for chili dogs. What’s troubling, still, is that knowing such things could come from merely watching somebody else do it for a while. It’s now 9:00AM and I’m sitting down with another cup of coffee and doing some planning. Do not disturb for about an hour.

           Make that 10:46AM, but I’m back at my best. With three or four small projects on the go at once. That does not really fit the multitasking designation, but more that over time you get more efficient at doing things like during the twenty minutes it takes glue to dry on project A. You know what I mean, and another thing you are right about. Not everybody gets more efficient over time. Here is a fake IDE slot on the main computer, still a Windows XP Dell that has never been connected to the Internet. That is not a security feature, but to prevent “updates” that clobber all my pirated, er, I mean, evaluation software. I tend to only buy software that works as promised on the package, so I don’t have a lot of MicroSoft on my units. It’s been a while so I mistook this slot for an IDE cable.
           That means, if I want video, I’ll have to find a computer store and I don’t know of any in the area. Maybe in Winter Haven. I still have a ton of perfectly good equipment, but this hookup requires a SATA cable and my gear dates from just before that became a standard. My computer has both IDE and SATA dongles, but no IDE slot.

           Next, I was up the ladder to take measurements for that A/C opening, which I will frame or case as a window opening. I want to install flashing because I never did care for the way A/C units are manufactured without a drain slot, and if you drill one, they are designed to work less efficiently. The water just runs out the lowest opening it can seek and does a number on your woodwork. It’s a clear day for this work, the result of the hurricane up in the Carolinas. If it does over a billion in damage and kills a few stay-behinds, I move that it be honorarily renamed “Hurricane Theresa”. Of Wilmington infamy. Did I just say ‘honorarily’?
           This also reminded me of how I am keen on doing my own computer work and prefer that I be the only one who touches the main units. It’s telegraphed by the type of pictures I take when I do this work. Here is another photo of the change in technology I referred to a moment ago. On the left is the traditional IDE cables that remained unchanged for decades. To the right is a set of SATA cables. They are prettier, but functionally both do the exact same job. Ergonomically, the SATA cables take less space, are easier to work with, and most importantly, are keyed so they cannot be accidentally installed backwards. That was a persistent problem with IDE (not to be confused with the other IDE meaning Integrated Development Environment, a millennial term for a mini world processor geared to autocorrect a given programming code).

Picture of the day.
Bridgitte Bardot, 1953.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           While up the ladder, I see the neighbor is hold a yard sale. Except, what he expects to sell is beyond me. This street is the shortest, hardest to get to in the city and that was influential some in why I chose it. Nobody much drives down this street except by mistake. You can advertise, but Google maps shows the main road with the same name, not the tiny half-block offshoot over here deep in the other end of town.
           So far, the only people who’ve been poking around there are his relatives. It’s been two days. I’m not even going for a look, you know my rule about fraternizing with neighbors. Which reminds me, the little doggie to the north east is still on my list. I received text y’day that the club no longer has the birdhouse, so I will drive all the way to Jacksonville if I have to. But for obvious reasons, I do not want it on file somewhere that I bought this device. Why? Because animal rights people are up in arms over the shock collars, so the birdhouses can’t be far behind.
           The only good news is the doggie has excellent hearing. He starts up even if I walk barefoot across the grass to turn on the bird sprinkler. Good, the sharper the better, Fido. And don’t hand me any cruelty issues. The reasons dogs bark incessantly is they are tensed up and stressed out. I’m helping Fido relax. I even found time to set the camera for the best shots possible. That’s what you are seeing here. The best of the best.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++