Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 13, 2018

December 12, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 12, 2017, Facebook for the mentally homeless.
Five years ago today: December 12, 2013, nobody will notice.
Nine years ago today: December 12, 2009, an immediate hit.
Random years ago today: December 12,1981, what recession?

           So much for my early start, I didn't leave Winter Haven until noon. I require cruise control these days because, well, my foot has become unsteady. I can maintain speed, but I have to be aware of it, not like the good old days. It was another boring drive into Miami, where I was rapidly reacquainted with third-world drivers. These people stood for nothing back where they come from but they are first to demand their 'rights' the minute they get here. I wasn't in Miami twenty minutes before I was flipping the finger at their driving habits. Here's a photo of an empty orange truck passing me on the right at 85 mph.
           I've learned to connect this tablet to the car radio since there are no decent English stations left in South Florida. Solid Spanish crap across the entire dial, though occassionally you will hear some English drowned out by a frequency clash. But I still can't outwit the millennial system on this unit. I've gone in and set the power options to keep playing until the battery dies, but it still shuts itself off every ten minutes unless you press a key, and you better press the right one or you'll run afoul of some gimp feature. I had one keypress turn this screen to portrait and lock it there until I went in and reset some defaults. Yep, you millennials, that's a really useful feature.
           I was concerned about lack of correspondence and did not hear about the earthquake in Tennessee until later this evening. It was a 4.4 just 150 miles from Hermitage, so it woke things up alrighty. Careful about that rating system, a 4.4 in the mountains is much sharper than the same magnitude on the prairies.

Picture of the day.
The Imperial Bunker
(Beneath the Imperial Palace)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I don't think JZ has been out of the house since the last time I visited. I talked him into hitting the Titantic, a micro-brewery near the university. You get a more diverse crowd in there, at least compared to most Miami night spots. We drank $107 worth of beer, which sounds excessive until you learn their prices. We had six glasses each. Plus the tips. He's in the dumps again about his old girlfriend. Somehow, she's finally come into some money and is happily ignoring him. My plan was to get him out to Punta Gorda for that Xmas concert next Monday.
           As usual, JZ lacks the nerve to approach women, where I talked to eight of them, all half my age. There was a spritely one at the bar giving JZ the look, but he had his back to her and would not believe me she was looking. Then about an hour later, while I was walking around, I glanced and saw her walk past and slam her hand on the table, then continue out the door.
           I asked JZ what that was all about. He says she slapped the table and told him to have a good rest of the evening, and thanks for not talking to her. We gotta get JZ a new girlfriend. He's tentatively agreed to head out there on Monday. He may wind up staying in my spare room but I've made him promise to stay overnight with any woman he meets over there that invites him. We shall see.


           I’ve got a few words to say on that. You see, JZ uses the same approach on women as he did forty years ago. It has not evolved and I recognize that scenario in most men. JZ & I get all the gals over, but things invariably fall apart when he tries to seal the deal. As with most men, the moment he detects a spark of interest, he starts in with the sexual innuendoes, the unwanted touching, the unfunny jokes. Gals, tell ‘em I know what I’m talking about. Alas, this poor performance is reinforced in most men by every movie, every commercial, every day. I’ve described it a hundred ways.
           I’m the other extreme. I’m talking about older women, here, as in over 30. I know if she lingers even a moment, she’s already thought about having sex with you. But a yes does not mean she is going to jump your bones. This is the point most guys poke themselves in the eye. To her, it means more like, okay, how would this play out? Let’s hear some indications of why you, are different, or better, or more interesting. I find the actual decision is made within 8 seconds after you reach that point, although in my entire life, I’ve had only two women semi-admit that. One was Angleface, the other is still WIP.

           Sure, some say I’m a smooth operator, but they’ve not been paying attention. Most who say that have an approach that does not work. Worse, it is not something most men can change. By age 18, it would be like having to re-wire a billion years of evolution. And you have to be willing to be different forever, which never bothered me as much as most men. It can be worse, like how it infuriated my brothers after they figured out they got it all wrong, like I had some duty to teach them how to hit on my girlfriends behind my back.
           They stole my bicycle because I had one and they didn’t, and that’s also why they thought I had so many girlfriends. Strange how one never forgets things like that.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++