Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

December 4, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 4, 2017, when 'tilted'.
Five years ago today: December 4, 2013, maybe I shoulda . . .
Nine years ago today: December 4, 2009, this guy creeps me.
Random years ago today: December 4, 2006, I was to learn.

           Yep, I lost the flash drive. It was last backed up four days ago, so the loss is minimal. But dang, because I heard something fall and it sounded like a quarter. By the time I got back the next day, it had been swept up and the garbage is emptied daily. There was nothing priceless on it, so ta-ta. I also dug my small PA speakers out of the shed, and one of them has been water-damaged, shown here. I have to test it out, so get back on this tomorrow for a more complete report.
           It’s an unnatural cold spell. I’m better equipped for it than two years ago, particularly after I found the controllers for my dual electric blankets. I’m confident most people can fathom why said controllers can be hard to find after a few years in this climate. The guitar player has been in contact, but spotty. His computer has Chrome installed and I strongly suspect that is delaying mail that comes from any server Google can’t snoop on. Almost my entire contact list has switched to www.protonmail.com and report similar delays.

           I spent another hundred bucks on building materials, but it is still too cold to work indoors. My small space heater is fine during the warmer daylight hours, alas, that is not when I normally work. Give me early mornings and evenings, it’s a pattern that matches what can be done in Florida during the summers. I’ve raked the yard, let me re-state that. I’ve begun raking the yard and that is going to take a solid week at a couple of hours a day. The pet run in the back is under-grown with tree roots, that is how camphor trees propagate. You can’t hoe it, you can’t till it. What works is tediously slicing through the mesh with a saber saw, then hand-ripping the pieces out. Where they won’t cut because they just jiggle on the saw blade, get a pair of bolt cutters.
           I am going to try to see if the saplings will take to transplanting, the property would be better off if the trees were to the south to block the summer sun. I won’t be around long enough to grow any shade, but the Zillow estimate on this place is now $48,000 more than I paid for it. That is not as high as it’s been.

Picture of the day.
Genetically modified.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           How is the economy in general? I’d say get ready for another plunge. The leading indicators, the big tech companies, are losing billions. Something like $150 billion this year. As long as those are paper losses, your average ‘murican couch potato just keeps on channel-surfing. It’s when the layoffs start hitting the one-industry towns that they begin to catch on. Myself, I’ve always lived with a budget, not on a budget. The difference is mainly how far you plan ahead. So I’ve never really suffered as much as others and I don’t mind a falling economy—it keeps prices low. You may hear talk of a garden over here, but it is only preparation. I don’t carry many affectionate memories of gardening.


           A recession right now would be more than hurtful to most people. There is all the talk of miracle recovery but that is not the same as it used to mean. There are jobs, but they are no longer the career-long feed-a-family and put the kid’s through college jobs. Except for the lucky few with prepaid educations in the right fields, I don’t of anybody who is doing all that well.
           Here’s a view of something I do like, the home orchard. This is over at Agt. R’s, it is two views of the same scene, the second being a close-up. This is the variegated lemon tree, which grows to the right height for my yard. This upcoming year, I’m having him put in several orchard trees along my southeastern edge, and if possible a pecan tree from Georgia. Apparently these are purchased for transplantation when already some 15 years old, so it could get expensive. But so is third-hand information, so wait until I get some actual prices.

ADDENDUM
           I’m enjoying a hot mug of Maxwell House “Indulge”. It has no natural ingredients but it is the closest thing I’ve go to hot cocoa in the house. The chill overnight was bitter, so I need to stoke the internal furnace and coffee these days doesn’t stick to the ribs like it used to. I’ve heard about Amazon lockers and finally saw one today for the first time. I presumed they only went up in places I never visited, but here it is, inside the ATM closet at my bank.
           This is an idea whose time has come. I don’t know quite how it works (but I will by tomorrow), the concept is familiar. Instead of delivery to your door, which isn’t suitable for most working adults, the shipment goes to this locker. You get it at your convenience, not theirs. It’s brilliant in simplicity. No key, you enter the code on the port shown here, everybody is happy except the postal service, the mailing list people, the neighborhood snoops, and more than likely, the police who will have to get permission to open the boxes where everybody can see.

           Another item I’ve become unclear on is net neutrality. I keep hearing the issue is finalized, that it will be kept in the state where everybody has equal access. But time and again, I hear or read about movements to get it restored. Doesn’t make sense to me, if it is a done deal, why the ongoing battle? I heard California codified it into law, then I hear the Feds, via that agency headed by that freaky guy with the Hindu name, are overturning the law. If anybody can give me the synopsis on all this, it would be most appreciated.
           Yes, I know, just go read Jimmy Ruska, but that is where I’m getting the conflicting versions. Net neutrality is good, but only up to the point the providers say screw this and quit improving their systems. These days it is not like some spunky new outfit can step in and replace an industry giant. On the other hand, I’m not averse to paying for service—but that is predicated by the fact I can now afford it. Paying for Internet is like co-pay for medical services. It weeds out the malingerers.


Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++