Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 15, 2019

February 16, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 16, 2018, a generic day.
Five years ago today: February 16, 2014, fun with QBASIC.
Nine years ago today: February 16, 2010, took me 45 minutes.
Random years ago today: February 16, 2015, Amtrak and orange groves.

           Due to some underlying changes to my daily routines, I’ve got zero done on the front bedroom for two days running. I take it you are also enjoying the break. Good, then I’ll dampen things by listing what went wrong during the meanwhile. Somehow, a mouse got into the flour cupboard. I can’t find the opening, so how he managed I dunno. He ruined five pounds of flour, two pounds of corn flour, and gnawed into my biggest cereal bin, making off with all my bran flakes. A three month supply.
           That rainstorm the other night did some damage. You see, I bought the station wagon from a guy who smoked cigars. I blasted odor nullifying mist into the compartment and completely shampooed the upholstery to make it tolerable. And it was. But I’d left the windows cracked just enough to let the rainwater get into the hard to clean space between the door and seat. Somehow, this wetness has unleashed the rank tobacco smell of years. That was followed by two days of summer weather where the car interior heated up to 120° so the stale aroma could permeate everything. Including the clothes I still had on the rack from my trip.

           And speaking of the trip, I might be going right back in a month, for a few weeks this time. It’s an emergency situation and I have to make sure Nashville is happy so that Seattle can be happy so that in the end, I can be happy. Good, because I’ve hit another rotten patch of DVDs, which is my only distraction while I’m working unless Boss Hogg has something nice. They play Broadway tunes @ which does nothing for me. Wait, maybe I have some good news. Yes. In my batch from the Keysville thrift, I seem to have a complete set of the old “Have Gun Will Travel” episodes. That’ll do me for a while. I’ve always said those programs were much better written and performed than the schlock of today.
           The picture above? That’s food, gotta mention food. I’m making some chicken pie, the kind with double thick cream, extra peas, and half again the recipe amount of chicken. Baked in a double shell on the bottom rack. If it wasn’t for chicken, I’d be nearly vegetarian and I don’t want that. Some day somebody will do a study that confirms my suspicion that when it comes to any bodily injury, vegetarians take twice as long to fully repair. Meanwhile, since I don’t eat chicken skins and this batch was not boneless, the feral cats of the vicinity are feasting. Enjoy, because rumor has it the cat party may soon be over.

           [Author’s note: it isn’t really double thick cream, this is Texas style so it is really Carnation™ evaporated milk bolstered with a little corn starch. Gives it a smoother, more “Houston” taste when you really want to get away from all that Tex-Mex heartburn cuisine.]

Picture of the day.
Real cowgirl.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another zero-work day on the house, and theses are prime time for that, weather-wise. I’m moving the radial arm saw into the white shed, which does not have near enough room. I have no choice now but to build some kind of extension on the red shed to begin housing all my gear. The good news is I’m not admirably equipped to build something. You just need the idea. I saw some chintzy plant holders at Lowe’s, I could do a better job and sell for half that. But, the priority is the house. This is later in the day and I could be back in Tennessee in as little as 24 days. I’m informed the weather will be better. But they would say that, wouldn’t they?
           The logistics take half the time in a renovation. Here is the radial arm saw in place, secured to the workbench in the white shed. Visible is the new electric sub-sub-panel and the light duty belt sander. That things are getting cramped is already evident. The brand name on the saw is Chicago Electric, which is Harbor Freight, which means there is likely a user’s manual I can download. The chop saw is inside, being readied for the window trim work. I nicely forgot to rinse my paint brushes last day before siesta a ruined a bunch of good ones this time.

           Here’s a random photo of the moon to the west. I call this photo, “Nine PM”. It’s not prominent here, but most nights like this there is a slight purplish tint to the cloud fringes. I believe that is what they call a Miami Moon. The term must be antiquated because you rarely see this sight in Miami any more. Not with the condos, smog, and light pollution drowning out any semblance of peaceful nights. Anybody who thinks Miami is still an American city should stay a couple days in Mexico City. So they’ll see where Miami is heading.

           Next, I run into Bradford, the guitar guy who is going to be so ready when 1969 rolls around again. He’s finally admitted what I know. There is very little hope you will ever hear of a famous band from Polk County. You’ll hear of singles that made it, but as for organizing a band from scratch, the raw material just doesn’t exist. Very few people really get smarter as they get older, but in particular that applies to women and guitar players. My current opinion of any band that could make it big around here would be one that made enough mistakes in the right order that they canceled each other out. There are around eight bands with four or more members that I’m aware of nearby. But you see them play once every six months in the better clubs, maybe.
           I’ve finished reading “Eagle Against The Sun”, it’s an eye-opener in the sense it proves what many people thought all along. Things like Pearl Harbor, the airplane attack was predicted 30 years in advance, making it one of the most anticipated military events in history. Also, the damage had no effect on the war. None. The battleships were not in fighting trim, they would have needed to be sent back to the US mainland for fitting out. Nor did battleships play any significant role in the war. They participated in some ineffective invasion shelling, but otherwise were used as delivery barges.

           What’s more, the Japanese made the same wrong mistakes. They were after the resources of the British and French colonies of SE Asia and knew the American fleet could not interfere with that. It did not have the fuel or the port facilities to conduct sea warfare that many thousands of miles away. The Washington treaty limits on tonnage meant the ships that could sail that far had to be lightly armored. Thus, I remain convinced that Pearl Harbor was not a military, but a political objective. My personal thoughts? Churchill, who was in the employ of the Zionist bankers, learned a hard lesson during the Boer War. Modern conflicts had to be fought with borrowed money.
           Not daring to repeat the questionable Lusitania incident, I’d be curious to know how he got the Japanese to make such a useless move. The goal was to involve America against Germany, who had seized Zionist assets and needed to be taught a lesson. Yep, that is a story that still needs unfolding. This blog has told how Japanese air groups were commanded by an officer radioing instructions from a circling aircraft 12,000 feet up, where it could not be seen nor heard from the ground.
           Here’s what the Japanese air commander at Pearl Harbor said. “I have seen . . . German warships assembled in Kiel harbor . . . I have also seen the French battleships at Brest . . . I have seen our own warships assembled . . . for the Emperor . . . but I have never seen ships, even in the deepest peace, anchored at a distance of less than 500 to 1,000 yards from each other . . . [Pearl Harbor] down there was hard to comprehend.”
           Unless you are a banker.

ADDENDUM
           I still grab my bass when I should be strumming, but I had to get another tune out of my system. That Robin Thicke bass line needed re-writing. It was too sparse for a duo, and relied on the percussion to keep the syncopation rolling along. I combined the two as a heavier bass track, taking care to memorize where the special licks come in. I also spruced up that base octave walk-down so it lands on better sounding notes. I don’t get the lyrics of the song, but I do know the video was originally banned because the lady hired help were dancing topless.
           Yep, it still shocks small American censors when young breasts are revealed. Oddly, I’ve never seen them ban older, saggy ones, so they’ve got some whacked out agenda. It appears to be if they can’t see the real things live themselves (because they are total losers in that department), then you can’t see them in pictures. Any law can be passed at the federal level in America if it is packaged as child protection or apple pie. That agenda is plain to see. The bureaucrats want the power that was specifically taken away by the Constitution, which disallows a strong central government. I’m surprised some factions have not claimed that was against their religion.

Last Laugh
(Democrat Fake News)