Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

May 15, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 15, 2018, that catwalk.
Five years ago today: May 15, 2014, like it is today.
Nine years ago today: May 15, 2010, coincidental mention of gold.
Random years ago today: May 15, 2007, the Chinese are learning.

           It’s looking like a generic day. Feed the birds, the squirrel, yank some weeds. Thrilling as this is, I’ve looked forward to it a long time. Quiet days have always been a premium. If I feel some gumption, I may even move some gear into the new bedroom. Here’s a shot that needs a little explaining, yet don’t write it off, because it is already notorious enough to have a name. “Yard Uniforms”. Okay, who remembers the scene of me digging postholes a couple months ago? A hot day, I’m used to working in these cutoffs and suspenders. Normal enough around here, sure. Up in Tennessee, the getup became known as my landscapers uniform. And today was yard uniform laundry day.
           This, folks, is why I want to rig up an old-fashioned clothesline in the back yard. Right now, you can see this lovely sight from the street, if you are lucky to glance left southbound. It kind of greets the eye enough to holler for a clothesline behind the shed, don’t you think? Look close, the black suspenders are for everyday weeding and raking, the navy blue are fashion-ware for those times when it’s strictly front-yard ‘hoeing around”. Don’t forget, the good-looking you-know-what still lives up the road with her girlfriend, whose legs are hairier than mine. But I’m way too nice to say anything.

           In financial news, the new dryer pays for itself in the next couple of hours and I’m $72.15 under budget. Maybe I’ll go shopping. Say, that would liven up the day, how about a trip to the thrift out near that town I can never remember? The one with the skinny red-head that doesn’t even know I’m alive. Before I forget, the clothesline is not an option. While up in Tennessee, I was convinced of the value of natural drying in the sunlight for certain items such a bed-sheets and tablecloths. It has a lot to do with the ultraviolet light and an aversion to ammonia that I don’t share.
           Scratch that, I took a morning siesta and the thrift would be closed by the time I got there. I still kick around the concept of a thrift with the stock listed on-line. I’ve got the software I’ve written, which was originally for a used book store that displayed the inventory, similar to what Amazon eventually came up with, but without all the log-on and pop-up crap. It’s on a 3.5” floppy, it was written in some compiled language so it was pretty efficient. With the horror stories I’m hearing daily now about all the spyware and backdoors (which were predicted by this blog so far back) I’m tempted to go through my collection to see what programs (not applications) that I’ve kept.
           Just the other day I found a complete working copy of Simply Accounting (shown here) that was developed before the advent of malware. When every command line could be examined for it’s entire purpose. And I know that software works perfectly. Because that’s the business I was going to help set up when I was dating Jill, the Sigourney Weaver look-a-like. Kind of sad how that did not work out.


           For those of you who have not used this older software, it lacks graphics and you’d find the keyboarding tedious because there was no mouse interface. It takes a bit to get use to pressing F10 instead of to complete a record. But for functions like accounting, you can’t beat the security of a standalone system. That Tandy TRS-80 I had stolen in Caracas back in 1994 used DOS and I think I just found the complete installation disks. And if I recall, there was an advanced version of BASIC, which would be a treat to operate compared to the MicroSoft version. But, all this has to wait. I’m moving furniture. It’s just me, my afternoon DVD, and the robot telemarketers in the house today.

Picture of the day.
Sea sponge.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I worked until past dark. I got a half-ton of the logs and leaves out of the front yard. Didn’t want them there in case I decide to leave in the next day or two. Here’s a nice view of a buggy undercarriage, from my museum trip a few months back. With those wooden rims, it must have been a lively ride. Last and second to last packed are my computer and bass. Those are LIFO, last in first out. These trips are important in that my life long dream of spending most of the year in a nice climate depends on it. Plus, my social existence is long past the point where I’ve not met a worthwhile woman in my own demographic in this century. I pine about the situation, but let me tell you there have been quite a number of encounters. In my early days, I would have sealed the deal on day one. Now, I prefer to err on the side of caution. And that’s been a smart move close to, let me guess, around 90 times in a row.
           It’s reflected in my music, but so subtly I’m likely the only one who notices. Take this week, for the first time, I’m chasing down a piece of music intended to impact on unfulfilled older women. Ah, you say, but I do a lot of chick music that has that effect. Yes, but that was a side effect, this is an intentional hunt. I heard a movie score version that may meet the criteria for a great bass adaptation. Bonnie Tyler’s, “Total Eclipse Of The Heart”. No promises, because otherwise the song is too slow and not a great mesh for my act. However, I often borrow bass lines from tunes I don’t play and thusforth have many tunes I don’t perform on stage. This is just one I would like to—if the adaptation goes well.

           In my vast downloads of music I would never pay for, I don’t have a copy of this tune. As if that’s not disappointment enough (I can be pretty shallow sometimes), I can’t find my favorite red driving shirt. I last recall wearing it to Karaoke in Hermitage. Now, Meuller report or no Meuller report, will I have to drive 721 miles in some other shirt? And I’m not just saying that to bug Tampa because my top story is more crackerjack than theirs. That would be so unfair to the proud and noble profession of American left-wing journalism that I won’t make the comparison even as a joke.
           Instead of mentioning food, it is day 527 of my diet and my weight has wavered as much as ten pounds up and down. Today I weight the same as I did in November last year. That’s a firm 1200 calories per day maximum, meaning the average is slightly lower. Despite increased activity both with yard work, bicycling, and walking the pets, no changes for six months at a time. I’m certain this is why diets fail. There’s your highly-touted combination of limited intake and physical exercise well beyond what is expected. These two factors are the one universal agreed-upon weight determining combination, and no results half a year at a time.
           There are no other options at my age. Fasting and lipo are out due to my bad ticker. There is a problem and once again, none of the professionals can tell me what it is.

ADDENDUM
           President Trump is toying with the idea of “monetizing” gold, by which I hope that means he is thinking of returning to the gold standard. The US dollar is the only currency that could rock the world if he does that, but he’s up against the privately owned Federal Reserve. And look what they did to the Colonel when he tried to introduce the gold dinar to Africa.

           [Author's note: this addendum was written before the link back to one year ago, which also mentioned gold in this context. Another “coincidental anniversary”.]

Last Laugh