Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 1, 2019

September 1, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 1, 2018, anything I can marshall.
Five years ago today: September 1, 2014, my gravy wouldn’t leak.
Nine years ago today: September 1, 2010, even the ugly ones.
Random years ago today: September 1, 2012, tombstone graveyard?

           Photojournalism. I couldn’t do it for a living. Here is my latest composition. I call it “Life in Contemporary America”. Rather an inspiring touch, wouldn’t you say? It’s a scene most anyone who has tried to have a good time in Nashville can identify with. Reb has jet lag so bad I think it is contagious. I tip-toed out quietly at dawn and for the first time in three weeks, I went for an unfettered cup of sit-down coffee. When she’s away I’m always conscious if the pets being alone. They don’t handle it so well. But now, I took my time. My first stop was Starbuck’s but got so damn tired of standing in their line, I left. The lines are not long, it is the service that is slow. The half-tard people who take their bloody time ordering don’t help either.
           I found out two new things. One is that you need special dimmable bulbs for track lighting. And the other is that the problem was not the bulbs, but the switch, and that is the responsibility of the building owner. The bulbs are not marked or identifiable as dimmable, the only way to tell was on the packaging. Where do they find people that stupid? The situation stinks of a certain mentality that is all too prevalent in this country these days.

           These are the same people developing gait technology. This software will enable the authorities to recognize and target people by how they walk. At this time it is unknown to what use they intend to put this capability, but we are assured it will benefit us all in the manner as our various cabinets, ministries, departments, bureaus, committees, and agencies that watch over us. The field is undeveloped, but we can expect before long walking will require a license with a minimum age of 12 months, although some will be able to do so by 9 months.
           Like the DMV, society will not feel the full effects until walking is reduced from a right to a privilege. Nobody can feel really safe on our Nation’s sidewalks until the Federal Walker’s License, which must be renewed every five years, becomes valid picture ID. Another similarity to the DMV is that their exacting standards will ensure only the best of walkers are able to get a license

Picture of the day.
Pro level.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           We spent most of the afternoon going over business options. Never go partners out of convenience, and never enter into a partnership where you suffer if the other person fails to perform. We both know this, but I’m the one who feels all businesses that can be started for less than $500,000 any more are doomed to failure. The main barrier to market entry for the last fifty years has been money, not talent, acumen, or hard work. The competition may have none of those assets, but if they can borrow enough, they can best those who do. It’s the nature of capitalism coupled with a credit-based economy. The most I can see doing for now is to find some product worth pushing, and push it in a way that is difficult to duplicate.
           That’s not a super way for people of our dispositions to enjoy an afternoon, so we decide to take some time off. Here’s a picture of blackberries. My buddy from the west coast sent me the photo, not the berries. He snapped this view which brings back memories. I’ve heard the berries are an invasive species and they sure grow like one. I used to make gallons of blackberry wine. The shrub in the background shows red unripe berries. The bowl indicates how easy it is to pick through only the best specimens. You have to wait for the right weather because the bushes have thorns and you need to wear gloves.

           I get a note from the management that the other camera at the gig did not record a thing. I’ll sit back and wait to be called. I don’t mind saying why. Because I was snubbed when I advised to record the audio through the PA, to use two static cameras, and didn’t get answers when I asked about the other guy’s camera equipment, memory cards, and experience with this type of thing. From what I hear, nothing turned out. This makes my grainy amateur work the only footage that exists of that critical gig. I won’t be in town to help at the next event.

ADDENDUM
           It is not good enough to have a boat. You must park the boat out on the street where everybody can see you have a boat. This is Tennessee, dammit. Vantablack, do you know what it is? It’s nanotechnology that traps more than 99.965% of the light that strikes it. That’s the darkest there is in the world today. I question the wisdom of several car manufacturers who use the substance to see who gets the blackest finish. At night, black cars already have nearly 50% more accidents. It’s weird to look at articles covered with this compound, since you can’t see any edges except the outside perimeter.
           You can’t see the contours normally associated with looking at other three-dimensional objects of a single color because they reflect light in subtly different amounts. You can look up examples yourself, but my guess is the thrust behind it all is the military camouflage applications. The competition must be ferocious as the contenders are measured down to the thousandth of a percent.
           Rumor has it that Vantablack was barely able to retain the title of blackest of black by narrowly edging out formidable challengers like Machine Oil Black, Beijing Noon, and Welfare Office. Aw, now that was mean. Or was it?

Last Laugh