Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

October 29, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 29, 2018, $600 for 30 days.
Five years ago today: October 29, 2014, planning ahead is evil?
Nine years ago today: October 29, 2010, 13-seater.
Random years ago today: October 29, 2009, Karaoke, falcons, & crowds.

           Wait for the pics, it took all morning to get settled in. Welcome to Tennessee, the California of the east coast, except that most people here still work for a living. I pulled in for gas at the big station on Lebanon Pike and found everybody but myself standing around. The card payment system was down and the place was full of people late for work. They needed gas but I was the only one who had any cash. I filled up with the smuggest of looks on my face. And left them standing there. Cashless society, my eye.
           I stopped at the traditional Goodwill on Old Hickory, where the staff beg for money at the till. It’s unAmerican to beg. There are jobs everywhere, always have been for people with brains. As for the half-brains, robots and A.I. will butter their toast for them. I’m just grumpy because I needed some cool weather clothes but the racks had been picked over.

           Once more, if you see pictures, it means I’m getting caught up. It is leaf raking time again, an activity that is only work if you make it. This is one laid-back visit and I intend to relax to the max. The cooler climate will slow me down, yet the days are warm enough for me to pursue a few things. I’ve already taken inventory. First thing I saw was the dog was able to get out of the yard. Knowing this was impossible, I investigated to find the metal rod hlding the fence against the shed had been bent. Only a human could do that. In this neighborhood, that remains an unknown.
           There’s a picture. This is the first sight of red Georgia soil o n the trip. Next is the morning mist as it begins to clear and how by nearly noon, I’m still driving in the chilly shadow of a mountain. This is near Bryson City and the reason I didn’t stop there. Reminded me of Neversummer in Colorado.


Picture of the day.
Wishbone collector.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           More trip pics. Here’s some of the tourist attractions along the way. Nothing was open as early as I got there. You can’t get more authentic than dubdubdub.cherokee.com, I suppose. I passed on the Cherokee film, ice cream, and cold cider.


           Here’s a panel of the Tallulah Gorge, quite the view. And the fall colors were out on display. You know that camcorders don’t do them justice. I guess I’ve now seen Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Neither place struck me as a vacation spot and the atmosphere was definitely family slash married couple oriented. The type of places you make sure you take a good book along. The drive was the best part of the trip for me. It took half my driving time to get from Franklin to Pigeon Forge that day. It’s probably not the best plan to take that road for the first time at night.
           The pictures shown here of the forested mountainsides have something in common. None of it is old growth forest. I heard from several sources how the hills were stripped bare not that long ago. I saw no evidence of any industries in the area, either in town or in the countryside. Just roadside and tourist operations. There were no quaint little towns anywhere, and no quaint little people.

           The Reb & I opted for a quiet evening at home. A vegan snack, this squash soup that I’m finally getting used to and gluten-free mini-sandwiches. The timing will be tight between now and Thanksgiving, you won’t find a lot of extras this trip.

Last Laugh