Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

January 27, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 27, 2019, chicken soup, shhhhh.
Five years ago today: January 27, 2015, grenadine.
Nine years ago today: January 27, 2011, deep humor.
Random years ago today: January 27, 2008, library hours are insane.

           I couldn’t get underway, so it was a day of reading and research. I was pondering the matter of interstellar space travel. Take an imagined trip to Alpha Proximus, 4.3 light years away. Presuming a speed of 10% of light, the travelers would still be able to pick up news from Earth along the way. Would it be higher or lower in tone? What would video look like. Would there even be any difference, since according to Einstein, the spaceship would still measure light at speed c. That’s the c in E=mc². Another laugh today is the problems with the Google translating software. It’s the “water sheep” scenario all over again, with the same old claims and same old errors. The present level of computer coding cannot handle names and compound words. And the caliber of the coders means it won’t be, because of C+ again. The only thing they can do is keep adding more code, which amplifies the problem.
           It was the library, where I’m having trouble finding non-fiction books I have not already read or on topics that bore me. Like baby names, teen abstinence, and agriculture in Togo. It was a book on hand made sundials that I was after. There seems to be no novel designs. Book after book, except of the building materials, looked much the same. However, I saw one that was horizontal. That might be something. It hangs like a picture and the shadow casts downward as the sun transits. Your trivia today is the gnomon. That’s the stick that makes the shadow. It’s characteristic shape is to keep the shadow sharp when it is long. The trivia is that you always read the front or straight edge of the shadow.

           Here’s a shot of “dog marching”. Once again, these clips take on a comical effect. I was going to call this “Imhotep Practice”. The practical explanation is making noise to scare away snakes and small animals that would otherwise make the dogs hard to manage. Oddly, these clips are likely to remain because they generate a lot of hits. While the primary benefactor is the dogs, it is also nice to have a partner who knows how to have fun. I don’t know how many women I’ve dropped for the sheer boredom they impart. At the other extreme, there is never a dull moment around the Reb. I always thought that was because we have so little in common. Seriously.
           The scooter takes my gas budget down to reality. But unlike the 150cc, there is no place to carry anything on this unit. And no trunk to lock anything in. So every time you park, it’s carry everything with your. There is also the consideration that it is light enough for two people to easily pick up and throw on the bed of a pickup. I’ve got more than enough material to finish the job, the trick is to get me started. And yet another bird has found its was inside. There are no openings, so that points to that missing bathroom floor panel. It has to be left open to reach the spot for the hot water connection when I get around to the new tank. The feeder outside the kitchen window has an established visitorship, which includes the female bluejay. The smaller birds really have to fight for a toehold, so watch for a perch to appear shortly.

Picture of the day.
Henry Ford.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Blue. That’s the color of the 2-stroke motor oil I add to the Yamaha. It’s dyed a deep blue. I didn’t know that and presume it is to not confuse it with other oil. Apparently it is formulated to keep down smoke levels. And it gets expensive unless you buy it at Wal*Mart. I ran across another article about how smallpox seems to have originated at the same time as civilization, or around 9,950 B.C. This is based on DNA examination, but none of these publications tell me how that is possible. If they are simply extrapolating backwards, that is not good enough for me.
           BIt’s deep siesta time. I looked at the plumbing and said, “It’s too late to get a start on that today.”

           Now where is my mall cop movie? You know, that lame DVD about mall cops from around ten years ago. I want to see how my co-workers who didn’t take the buy-out package turned out. Actually, they might make good rent-a-cops because of the experience they have of avoiding every possible work situation. You know, I have a Blu-ray player and a growing collection of the disks, if I ever find time to set the thing up. I’d like to see some of the sequels to the Terminator series, where the studios save a ton of cash by having the robots evolve back into humans. Found it, but it’s another defective disk, so I watched the comedy “Goods” about the used car business. Lots of sub-plots that moved in a lot of directions.

           One habit of mine is to keep song lists from most any musical situation I go through in my life. The songs have a lot of overlap because I target certain music styles. It was a revelation to go over them anyway. Unlike some, it shows that over time, my list renews itself in as little as two years. The average, however, is closer to twelve years. If you read over this entire blog, you’ll find constant referrals to bands and rehearsals that never worked out. Sorry, blog rules say no names and sometimes I’ll find mention of groups I don’t remember. The count remains and in this life, I’ve attempted to put together or planned out over 160 band situations. And I’ve jammed with another 61. The guitar player from Winter Haven with the matching song list this week never called back.
           I know the reason. He wants to get into a “full” group, meaning five members. This is a style of band I quit with in 1994. I’ve played in a few since then, but competition from DJs and Karaoke took direct aim on big bands, which are also expensive. They are also a pain in the butt over logistics. Have you ever tried to keep five people in line during this age of built-in excuses? Nor is it lost to me that my trend toward smaller groups was provoked by no shows. As little as two years ago, I soloed a gig in Winter Haven.

           Let me elaborate on that. Bands are not a democracy, but people tend to talk like they are. I’ve never seen a band where the members have equal say, but I have seen the pirate system. That’s where the crew follows a leader only insofar as he keeps making the right decisions. Big bands, which to me is three or more, became a losing proposition by 1998. The only successful bands (my definition of success is still playing a year later with 80% of the original members) has been, in Florida, all duos. The Hippie and Jag went the distance, but the Hippie only because I can tolerate bull-donkey if the gigs are there, and Jag eventually headed off to college.
           Last, I’ll describe something that I won’t show you. I printed up a calendar from some software on this computer, just something to keep track of gas and mileage. It’s so I could track at a glance the trips and time in Tennessee. I put a mark on the days I was away. Should be random, right? Well, when I walked into the room the other day, I saw the pattern of marks spelled out “HIS”. This means nothing but it was an event, so it gets at least this one paragraph. And the picture here is of the Post Office at Tallulah Falls. I got nothing else for you. Readership is also down, but that could reflect any number of situations. I read that gifs are a failing format, but what is there to replace them? The books say upload video to youTube and link. There are serious ownership problems with that.

Last Laugh