Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, March 22, 2020

March 22, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 22, 2019, learning gifs.
Five years ago today: March 22, 2015, on outperforming my critics . . .
Nine years ago today: March 22, 2011, the essence of Florida.
Random years ago today: March 22, 2008, a boost in the rain.

           Here’s how luck works in Florida. The duplicate of my car found at the wrecking yard is yielding all manner of cheap parts to keep my ancient car on the road. But I cannot find anyone to cut the panet I want, I can’t transport it, and none of the body shops locally will do the work. So follow along as I get this done Texas style. Meanwhile, I spent the morning on routine yard work. The biggest noticeable effect of the business shut down is that the Florida road system actually works. But it was designed for people who know how to drive.
           But the wrecked car did not have a spare tire. For my car, those are hard to find and expensive. Nothing else was open so I had no choice but to drive without a spare. I headed out for Miami at 4:00 PM. I got as far as South Bay. Just south of town I ran over something while changing lanes and got another mile. The hole was slightly too big to for tire foam, so I had to remove the tire, hitchhike back to town, and buy a plug. I had a kit, but the stickums had dried out. Again, luck.

           I found the kit at Pilot. At Wal*Mart, the kit shown here is $6. At the Pilot in South Bay, the same kit try $21. And although that town is hardly on a major road, the staff are total “freeway cult”. They don’t know what is on the shelves, nor if there are any tire places in the vicinity, nor, I suspect, how to wipe their own asses properly. I met a good Samaritan. The guy that picked me up, wait for more news. He passed me, then turned around, drove me to town, and drove me back to the car.
           This flat caused me a 2.5 hour delay, and because I only made a temporary repair, drove the last 65 miles at 30 MPH. I arrived well past dark. The streets were empty (mostly) so I tanked up at the first open station, bought a six-pack of Sam Adams, and sat down at JZ’s place. I brought him another 160 DVDs. I’m picking up the ones from before, my plan is to donate them back to the Thrift in return for that radial arm saw I need for Tennessee.

Picture of the day.
Instant eyesore, Manhattan.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Rigging up my DVD player gave me extra time to practice my vocals in the car. I say it sounds okay adn the reason people can’t hear it is they are unfamiliar with how harmony thirds are supposed to work. Six hours was enough to go through the entire list and I’ve got around half of them as good as I likely ever will. That does not apply to stage time, which is constantly self-correcting except for a lot of guitar players, You heard me.


           Here is a poster about social distancing being circulated in America. This is a mis-use of the term, as social distance means something quite different. Unless you are Taylor, my social distance has always been six inches out of arm’s reach. The image is also misleading if you look at the depictions in the lineup. It shows a variet of races. Don’t be fooled. This diagram is the product of John Hopkins, a festering rat-hole of reprehensible liberalism. You must be a bent liberal to pass their exams. The reality is, you are exceedingly unlikely to ever see a lineup like this at an American ATM. Hopefully, you never will. But if you do, my advice is to get in your car and get the hell out of that neighborhood fast as you can. As Trump put it, some of them are, I suppose, good people. I’m recommending you don’t stick around to find out which.
           The average American laughs when they see pictures like this. And not necessarily because it is funny.

ADDENDUM
           There is a flurry over scams surrounding the virus. Fake calls from the health department, $40 dust masks, warehouses of toilet paper. The pity is not the scams, but that there are still Americans who fall for them. You wonder how anybody could possibly be so thick in the head. The media is not helping by under-reporting the medical condition of who is dying and not mentioning that the recovery rate is already higher than the death rate. Occasionally they scroll the recovery rate along the bottom, but that hardly constitutes coverage.

Last Laugh