Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, April 13, 2020

April 12, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 12, 2019, repackaged garbage.
Five years ago today: April 12, 2015, some gears I made.
Nine years ago today: April 12, 2011, Netcompoops.
Random years ago today: April 12, 2014, the taste of gold.

           Laugh if you want over how little I know about e-readers. I view them as one of the millennial “most-fockt” contraptions on the market and have never bought one. That whole tardation was contrived by assholistic millennials. In the race to market share they forgot all about offering a quality product. Short battery life, incompatible formats, inability to be used as a monitor, but my favorite had to be titles that cost more than the book. Yep, no publishing or distribution costs, at pennies a copy yet the price tags were astronomical, not to mention the limited selection. The readers could not display word-processed documents, had the disappointing Android screens and as I just discovered, won’t charge from the USB cable.
           Choosing the two most new-looking models, the SanDisk Cruz Reader and the Slick e-Reader. The Cruz doesn’t cruz and the Slick doesn’t slick. In a planned obsolescence manner, the units have become separated from their chargers, which won’t fit into the carry cases. I’ll hunt up something that works, but this is not a good start. The on-line specs say they will play MP3s and both have headphone (line level) jacks. Later, I found I had already checked out most of the features just mention, the files date March, 2011. It will play the theme from “Bonanza”, so I’ll see if the screens can be swapped.

           After an hour, the e-Reader came on, but it has been dropped. The screen is worthless. I will let it charge to see what the interface displays on this computer. Remind me to set up the trading computers as well (one goes to Tennessee). I recall they both have 80 gig drives, super at the time. That’s over five times the capacity of the computer I use for all the video edits you see here. That, son, is the efficiency of XP compared to what came after. I’m not talking RAM, but the overhead needed on a hard drive to create disk images for burning or editing
           Seeking to clone the drives, I looked for free software and got conned by EaseUS. Advertising the clone feature, they ask for your e-mail, making it not free, but I trusted this company up to that point. When the download screen appeared, the clone version was $49.99 or as they say, “millie-free”. Nor are the software reviewers who push the “free” bullshit doing themselves any favors. I’m now checking Clonezilla, which already appears to have far too confusing a format and set of instructions. I don’t want to hear any “unicast” bullshit. Now I’m looking at Macrium, which is not free, but a free trial. You must buy it with an e-mail address. Fortunately, I have many.

           This morning I took measurements for the thermal chimney. I have the glass plates for a model some five feet tall, however they may have to be mounted high enough to draw hot air from near the ceiling of the shed, making them visible from the street. Maybe all that kudzu will come in handy after all. The glass panels are 64” long, so the chimney will be narrow to accommodate them. If that works, I have more glass for a thermal water heater. Here is the glass being removed from the old patio doors from a few years ago. They are two panes with an insulated space between. Cost is $0.00.
           I’ve had the Forex software up and running since this morning, since it was unclear exactly what time the system came on. Opening time in Australia as whatever that works out to in Tennessee. By noon still nothing. Is this Easter weekend? If so, how would I know? My belief system does not commercialize religious holidays. But I have begun framing the stand for the shop blower. The neighbor actually asked if I had been a professional builder. He was impressed by the mitered corners, so apparently he not only doesn’t use all his tools, he may not know how.

Picture of the day.
Kwajalein Island sight-seeing.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s the blower stand with the motor platform framed in. The motor, shown on the ground, is ready for installation though I cannot find any wiring diagrams. There are four wires plus a grounding pigtail and the company, Epco, no longer exists. It is now a contracting firm, the manufacturing side likely a victim of the big Clinton-Bush NAFTA sellout. The fan rests five feet above the ground and there is space for a furnace filter if there is a problem with particles. The lumber that is untreated will be painted soon. I’m aware I should be working on the bathroom and that kitchen electrical by now.
           I found some interesting designs with metric dimensions. While I understand metric, my rulers, tools, and supplies are standard. No problem, I thought, I’ll just bring up a converter on-line. Man, you never saw such screen garbage. These searches were semi-tolerable back when either the most popular website or the one who bribed Google the most came to the top. Now it seems no matter how specific your search criteria, they flood you with garbage. I brought up eight sites before I found a simple screen to enter millimeters and display inches.

           Even then, you’ve got retard display results to contend with. You may have a tape measure that reads 19.657 inches, but most Americans do not. There is not a millennial alive who grasps this. Could I do better? Of course. If I was to design a converter, I would have a graphic on a tape measure across the screen that showed an easy-to-see marker on the same scale and size as American tape measures. The user then need only find the same reading on his real tape measure. See, you public school morons, it really isn’t all that difficult to use the brain God gave you. But, folks, we are up against collective ignorance, which beats the individual brand hands-down. Then, I would build a real tape measure with a read-out that did the same. Or I’d have a calculator display that did this.
           I would not stop there. I would sell it on-line at a price that includes shipping and handling. This is heady stuff. I would accept cash. I would actually tell people the price first thing, no memberships, no crap. Send me the money, I send you the tape. It will be decades before anything millennial matches this level of performance. It’s called making money honestly.

           By converting to a cheaper drainage pipe, burying it deeper, I have the original price in half. Damn Lowe’s websites, won’t tell you the price. I think it’s around ten bucks for a ten footer. I can’t find anything larger than 4”. Wait, here’s some 6” at Home Depot, but again, no price. I’ll be up in that part of town in a day or two, so we’ll see. It turned out to be a super-productive day. I got the fan set in place and covered with temporary tarpaper. The post holes are dug for the thermal chimney and the posts are cut and tarred. Once again the neighbor was amazed at the work. We are the same age, but he cut one board today and quit. And I gave him the board when he asked. He still isn’t over that chicken coop, referring to as the chicken hotel.
           I tend to work on several small tasks, so lots of things got done on the side. Raking, cutting, I inflated all tires up to spec, fed the chickens twice, and all the other things that added up to the day. And the blog says report the most or biggest or intense-est events even if they are otherwise zero. Nobody panic, except for bureaucratic nonsense, I’ve never had a zero day. And for the record, these sites that require your password to be a mix of capital and case letters, symbols, and numbers are actually making your password easier to crack.

ADDENDUM
           By darkfall, I’m not even tired. I fired up the Yamaha and zig-zagged the back roads to the inconvenience store for a sack of Bud in the cans. It’s another sign of our times that beer now comes in paper cartons that, once opened, cannot be used to carry the rest of the box. It slowly but certainly rips open. I’m taking the evening off to run through my song lists and make a few changes. I modified some tunes to fit bingo and now can’t really find the originals. They are there, I keep everything like that, but I do have an accumulation of nearly 500,000 files.
           I know the bass lines like crazy so I’m doing the vocals. I’m to the point I can do them in isolation well enough (careful wording on my part) but playing and singing is exhibiting the usual barriers. It stems from my habit of picking the harmony note from the single bass note progressions. This deprives the ear of the acute advantage of hearing a full chord. Yet, I will never break this habit because only the bass notes will always be there for me. I’m also entering a realm of tunes that I cannot sing in melody without changing the key, but I can sing them in harmony. The deal is that key changing software does not work well on vocals. Too much and you get the “Lurch” sound or the chipmunks.

           I found an ingenious design for a foot pedal using a rat trap. There are several chintzy models, but the proper one uses the spring as a controlled return mechanism. I found a way to attach my surplus squirrel cage directly to the stem of my old 1-1/2 HP saw motor. I should explain the burning barrel, much as I use and like it, is inadequate for this yard and my hobbies. That’s the old dryer tumbler that I zap with the leaf blower. Otherwise it takes hours to burn a single batch down to embers. The blower works, but produces a lot of sparks and makes the barrel glow in the dark.
           Keeping the same barrel for now, I’ll rig up a stovepipe to direct the blast from the saw motor and devise a metal lid with a chimney tall enough to snuff the sparks or put them out of reach. Hence, the need for a foot pedal. You need one arm for the poker and the other for your beer. Geez, do I have to teach you everything?

           And how about MicroSoft now flagging two spaces after a period as an error? They contend it is a holdover from the “typewiriter era” and you need to cut down to fit in the 280 limit. Millennial-think at its worst, actually. The typewriter had nothing to do with it, typesetters had long before discovered the two spaces looked better. No hint was put forward that one space was always the choice of the uneducated and lazy. I have a suggestion for those who consider one-space a victory. Quit breathing O2 and start breathing O. Who needs two molecules when one will get you by, for a while, anyway?
           The virus makes you sick, but what makes one sicker is the police taking license plate numbers in church parking lots on Easter Sunday. The only thing guaranteed is that not one major news service is going to point out it is only white Christian churches. One can only hope this situation results in these repugnant mayors being set in their place. Imagine, mayors, the shit-string of the political arena, threatening people’s Constitutional right to religion and free assembly.
           If the government is using the virus scare to check how far they can shove people around, then millennial-wise, they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Last Laugh