Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

May 13, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 13, 2019, the real reason.
Five years ago today: May 13, 2015, my generation hated signs.
Nine years ago today: May 13, 2011, please, in my lifetime.
Random years ago today: May 13, 2009, Ft. Knox rejects.

           Unless you want a generic morning, I’ll have to list what else went on besides the yard work. You’ll get that report this afternoon. Being that I need to finish the shed, I cooked a batch of everything I have in the house. Being a bachelor in Florida, I have no aversion to leftovers as long as I know what is in them. So we got rice, turkey, chicken, mixed veggies, spuds, enough to last until the weekend. Good enough, and in the process I found one of those ideas that came along after the job was finished. You know how I save metal in a “used once” jar? This time I threw them into a jar that had some coconut oil in the bottom. The screws came out coated, but dry to the touch.
           So I threw them into the oak flooring. They went right into that eighty-year-old lumber like magic. Seems I’ve read about this in many a how-to book, but always forget it by the time it would be useful. Hold on, my calendar says it is food picture time. Let me get the camera. I’m back, how about this display, all home-cooked non-GMO and good for you. Dig in, there’s lots.


           One seemingly odd feature of me cooking is the mismatch between pots and lids. I can explain. I’m what you’d call an inattentive cook. I rarely stand there and watch food cook, but use timers and check in often. Over the years, whenever I broke a glass pot, I kept the lid for this reason. I like to be able to see into the pot without lifting and getting a blast of steam. So The chicken is baking in the oven, this is the cheese melt recipe company is fond of, but I haven’t had any since before the trips began to Tennessee. Which brings me back to the shed work.
           If I use it for any shop work, it becomes superfluous once the larger shed roof is complete. Hence, there is a dead spot around the old tree trunk that I could rig up a nice set of waist-high shelving. Instead of using the tools there, just store them. I rave about having the right tools for the job but I have no real space to keep the ones I use only intermittently. Let’s see how far I get today. This morning’s quest is those pressure treated 2x3”s. Not incidentally, the perfect weather the past five days has contributed a lot to the speed of this shed project.
           Here is a view of the flooring, the dirt in the left-corner is not an error, but a thin layer over the big tree roots that just will not cut. The varied coloration of the wood planks, as explained earlier, is due to differing origins and exposure. For a storage-slash-workshed, I like it.

           It’s Forex wind-down day. These trading days, as far as I can tell, have been determined by usage. The long-term people have learned what days to avoid, and knowing how most people are about money, I’ll follow that trend. While credit makes them spend money carelessly, the same bunch can’t lose money without losing sleep. That’s a fundamental way living with credit cards messes up their sanity. With two remaining open sell orders, this week’s performance is so far 0.9%, following a recovery from -2.37%. I see the software is initiating a lot of buy orders, which are not so popular in down-trends, but suits me fine to snap them up. I’m okay with 0.9% for the week. Check in tomorrow for a better report, now that I’m getting along reading the confusing Auvoria Prime screens. I mean, AP, what the hell is “symbolic profit” anyway. But I got snapped at last meeting I asked where to view the actual profit.

           [Author’s note: there was more to the meeting where this incident occurred. I wanted to know when and where to find a “balance sheet”. Right there, I lost the host, who claims to have been a financial adviser for some 40 years. This is the most fundamental of accounting reports, it is a “snapshot” of the business at a given moment—listing all assets, liabilities, and equities. It works best if taken at regular intervals, called your accounting period. This is necessary so valid comparisons can be made. It does NOT report period activities, such as transactions, nor the profit and loss (with one exception).
           Whell, (with an “h”) the host not only had no clue what a balance sheet or accounting period was, he objected to the term “snapshot”. I had to calm the guy down. My guess is that guy has no use for reports, or in the alternative, has developed his own system without realizing it has already been done. Either way, I was not impressed by his open-mindedness.]


           And I would still like to know the name of the MicroSoft bastard that put the rename and delete commands right next to each other. For reasons. Worse, the prick put the Rename right underneath the Delete, so every once in a while if you don’t quite scroll down far enough, bye-bye file. Ah, but isn’t it in the Recycle Bin? Only if the file was on your computer, not if it is on a camera or a flash drive. After years of good service, by tailgater battery amp is finally giving out. I will do the usual remedies to see if they work, like resoldering all the battery and speaker connections. What usually happens is the speakers give out, since I do run them at high volume most of the time. When the unit dies, I will salvage the amp part for my portable bass project, if I ever finish this house.
           This is interesting. The numbering scheme on money orders is determined by law and banks are required to keep a separate log of deposits by money order. Hmmm, I wonder if places like 7/11 cash their own money orders, and if so, is there a limit. It’s no big deal, but I believe in always having a backup plan whenever any government starts snooping at this level. On my next trip, I may stop along the way and buy some money orders to see if there is a discoverable pattern.

Picture of the day.
"Large" titanium pry bar, Wal*mart.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Y’day’s pallet wood is today’s planter. This is not for edibles, only for show. The box is made from salvaged pine. The white paint is not the final coat, but an exterior primer. If you are only going to build something once, might as well do it right. The pallet wood became the slats visible along the bottom of the box. I rigged up a small jig to sledge out the nails from these pallets, which leaves the nail ends still bent over. But an extra step with the bolt cutters, which others seem to not want to do, produces these fairly nice lengths of 32” lathe. Handy for all manner of tasks.
           Yes, you can see the large planter in the back getting the same treatment. These are destined to be nice flat medium brown color, the one you’ve come to know and love around this place. Hey, I’ve still got a half-gallon of the stuff left. There’s also a picture of the first side wall going up. I’m supposed to be up top on the roof getting that done, and I will. Later. Not that it isn’t fun going up and down that ladder all day long.
           Near the framing, you can see the closet shutters that will for the initial “windows”. The shutters have to be trimmed to size, but I have way more than I need, so I don’t mind chopping up a couple for this phase of the project. They’ll look funny, but who’s going to notice? For me it was a nine-hour day but I barely noticed. After I put 294 screws into the shed roof I noticed the box said not for exterior or structural use. In 8 point print. What can I say except “Screw it”. Metal is metal and that roof is going to outlast me by a long time. There are two layers of tarpaper on the boards. I priced out that rubber roofing and I’ll need four pieces, which totals about $80. Not bad.

           The local papers are in a flurry about some cop who made a racial slur to a “civil rights activist” who complained until the cop quit. Without taking sides I can tell you who is more useful to society. The point here is the newspaper did not give the activist’s name, age, race, and what he did to incur the insult. Some may ask if that is important. It is when the newspapers pointedly avoid publishing the information. Remember, my stance on freedom of the press—it is only protected when delivering the facts, not censoring or embellishing them. That’s why I don’t buy the Ledger or most Tampa papers except for the crosswords, and only then if the library is closed.

           There must be a disturbance over the ocean, the wind is picking up quite badly. It will calm overnight, then tomorrow we are in for it. I went up the ladder again and added 900 more staples to the tarpaper. I took a look at some job stats of the past decade or so. Outsourcing to overseas became prevalent in 2002 and it was in 2004 my job went to the Philippines. I’ve described this, how instead of computers matching human performance, outfits like the tax department dumbed down the other direction—by accepting what computers can do as the new standard.
           I became aware of this danger to my career in 1996, so I can’t pretend I was surprised. And the sources I read show that since 2002, 7 million jobs like mine were lost, and most of the exported jobs were in the financial sector until 2009, when the corporations began shipping manufacturing jobs. Banking in America used to be a diverse operation with many local branches. Now it is really one big bank under the iron fist of the federal government. Why not? They bought and paid for the banks. With your money.

           What’s this, the mainstream media is whining that people have come to “dislike” the government over this virus scare? Golly, imagine that. More like they are miffed that the rising discontent is aimed at the Establishment instead of at Trump. The master plan is emerging, the wiping out of all small business owners in favor of corporations and franchises. The problem there is I doubt Americans will stand for that, but the newest generations have a different mindset. With government indoctrination posing as education, the formula is simplified. Once you can tell people what to think, it is small step to tell them what to do. I cannot name one big corporation that has shut down over the virus issue, with the exception of some manufacturing plants like Tesla.
           And if I was Tesla, I’d pack up and move the hell out of California. It’s not so much that their female politicians are so old and ugly, but that they are so stupid. And mouthy. I’m first to admit how much I take from women is based on their looks, and them California women are so un-sexy, they owe me. Their pictures on Wiki look like an affirmative action poster. Gals the minimum age is for the presidency, not the town council.

Last Laugh