Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 9, 2020

August 9, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 9, 2019, Ravenswood.
Five years ago today: August 9, 2015, 70% against.
Nine years ago today: August 9, 2011, Club Med, my eye.
Random years ago today: August 9, 2014, Jabba the Brit.

           The radical left is pulling out all the stops. Now they are falsely claiming Trump is out to destroy Social Security. I watched the news clip and he never mentioned it. What he said is he would seek to keep payroll taxes and some other cuts permanent after November. Since Social Security and Medicaid are part of these taxes, the yowling begins. By the same token, you could also say he’s cutting off NASA, schools, food, and the military. The Democrats are going desperate and recklessly so.
          
           I usually wake up peacefully but practically jolted awake from sleeping in, to find out later there had been an earthquake nearly 1,000 miles from here. So there I am, with the radio on and all they are running is this interview with that Pelosi woman who I never heard of until a year ago when she started talking so much nonsense, such a polite way to put it. I’ve grown to really not stand her because she is obviously lying and puts the same negative twist on anything except her party line. Everything but everything the other guy does is wrong and always for the same reasons. This picture is placed here for cosmetics, it will be explained below.

           Dammit, Donald, you simply got to quit signing laws that single out hungry children, hard-working Mexicans, peaceful protestors, and sensitive minorities, some not even identified yet. She’s infuriating because it is such bad acting. She doesn’t have the mannerisms for someone who sincerely cares and I saw my fill of this for the first half of my life. It’s a creepy feeling that they are using the do-gooder illusion to back you into a corner. And they snipe constantly, never giving others a moments peace and quiet. That, and she’s so ugly when her mom dropped her off at grade school she got fined for littering. She’s so ugly she knows what drinks cost at a bar. And her eye-brow makeup? That’s early Picasso. Am I judging by looks? Yep, but only after she got in my face.
           I’m going to get a second birdfeeder, maybe from the store. No footage yet but the two titmice can bully the cardinals away from the orb feeder. They can fit inside the mesh, where the cardinals have to perch and bend into the cavity. The cost overrun on the shed and roof has eaten up this month’s entire budget already, but it has to be dry and lockable before I leave. A lot of my plants to finish the kitchen involve moving a lot of things outside. Without that new storage, things will really get drawn out.

           The summer heat drove me inside, that’s from the shade of the new lean-to. I want to get some good roofing up there asap, but every place is sold out. My backup plan was to get some shelving run in, or at least the frames. I lasted five minutes. On top of that, the steroids for my shoulder are playing havoc with my appetite, which I’m used to but not like this. Here’s where I stood in early 2018, the work possible is inside the house and there’s no room until I can move most of this stuff outside. I did get the roof up in record time, but not ahead of the real hot weather. It was close but you don’t plan much for a Florida August.
           Okay, the picture. This is the scooter shed, you may even be able to see the old Chua scooter parked under the canopy. A cool spell picked up giving me enough time to get out there, put up these “rafters”, and lay fence panels over all the important parts. The jungle overgrowth is typical in that part of the backyard this time of year. I’ll get you a close-up of this shed, otherwise it Is not all that important. It made the blog because of the amount of work. This is where I stored all that carpet and it had to be lugged into the dry areas.

Picture of the day.
Cardboard cubicles, hoo-rah!
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Today is the inauguration of the 12-foot work bench. Only 8 feet is available now. The point is, we got us a milestone. There comes a point in every retired man’s life when he either gets his work bench or fades into obscurity. Am I right? I’m not expecting accolades here, just recognition of what you see. A reserved work space that is not cluttered with tools and such. A clear spot to work on larger projects. For smaller items there is a separate work area, the big one is taken This was somewhat carefully planned to avoid the temptation to fill the space up with tools. I’m not even sure I can keep things this way. But I finally did it. 12-foot work space, a dream come true.
          
           The first project was completed as well. Below is a typical chain saw repair. They throw the chain. This results in a twenty minute mess-around with three hands. Shown here, with the Ying-Ling (Yeung-Ling) beer on the table, at this comfortable working height, the job was finished in four minutes. The interior of the shed is 15°F cooler, shown by the thermometer on the back wall. The catch is, it is still over 80°F in the shade.

           A rare balanced commentary on Tampa radio addressed the issue of tax-free status for universities. Their stance was totally no, where I think it should come under review. This makes sense, the press loves universities, particular the ones infiltrated by Marxist philosophies. They promote each others hidden agendas, although I dislike that term because it implies they’ve got the brains to be anything but superficial. Anyway, my view says as long as the universities stick to teaching at the cutting edges of human advancement, give them a break. But, the moment they take ideological sides? That makes them political instead of educational. Pay up like the other media have to.
           That creates the question of where to draw the line. I don’t know, but the left does not recognize any middle ground. To a liberal these days, you cannot be a moderate. Any point of view that doesn’t support the liberal narrative gets you branded a neo-Nazi. In that sense, you’ll get the same flak whether you move the line an inch or a mile. But it should be moved.

          
           Checking my property for post-election fall-out, I’m prepared enough. I hear that question again, what do I mean by “enough”? It means while I don’t have a bunker equipped for a family of four, I can weather long enough that the system would have to recover. I don’t see collapse as eminent, but I’m very aware of what happened in Russia in 1918 when a system collapse created a power vacuum smack in the middle of an organized group only too anxious to jump in and call it a revolution.
           Ah, some say, there are too many guns in America for that to happen here. I counter pointing out that America has proven there are other ways to take over without using guns. We have an un-acclaimed super-weapon called “credit” and millions upon millions of jarheads trained to use it without question. Want your swimming pool, golf clubs, and shiny new car? Swipe, tap, or click first and ask questions later.

ADDENDUM
           Today’s treat is a match the lists quiz. Actually, I’m testing some blog formatting in the shambles that Google has made of the blog posting page. This always takes a chance, because there are no guarantees the next crop of GoogleGoofs aren’t going to screw things up even worse. You should watch that pack of simpletons try to come up with a suitable picture border, frame, and arrangement. I still have to cut and paste the margins by hand.

                      False dichotomy
                      Begging the question
                      Non sequitir
                      Ad hominem
                      Post Hoc fallacy
                      Straw man attack
                      Ad ignorantum
                      Bandwagon fallacy
                      Burden of proof
                      Fallacy of composition

           Sorry folks, the lists cannot be formatted to display in a proper style without using frames. Tthe GoogleGoofs don’t have all the dots on their dice with paragraph tags, much less something mildly complicated. Here’s answer list in a different order, see if you can link them.

                      Attack the person, not the argument
                      Truth by majority rule
                      Using small samples to represent a whole
                      Insisting a problem has only two solutions
                      Demanding proof of innocence
                      Exaggerating the opponent’s argument
                      Purposely mistaking cause and effect
                      Arguing a small truth verifies a big lie
                      Ignoring chronological order
                      Claiming another’s ignorance proves him wrong.

Last Laugh