Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 9, 2020

October 9, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 9, 2019, ”medium” glue, right.
Five years ago today: October 9, 2015, my type, from a distance.
Nine years ago today: October 9, 2011, John Lennon, 1940-1980.
Random years ago today: October 9, 2013, I totally agree.

           It was a bad fixture. The neighbor’s porch light was the fault, they’d connected a specialty Halloween light. It looked okay, so did the usual procedure of checking the switches and exposed wiring before going internal. Too bad, it was a very well-manufactured fixture with sensors, but I finally pulled the leads out of the ceiling hole, clamped on the meter had the lady flip switches till I found the circuit. This ho-hum activity is not what made the blog, but that I finally seemed to have all the right tools and know-how to troubleshoot with zero errors. The couple that owns the house were visibly impressed, which is good enough for me. I called it even, telling them you never know when I’ll need a hand.
           Therapy was the real occasion of the morning in that there may finally be headway. I have massive insurance so they spare nothing, but I must go in for monthly evaluations to keep things, I dunno, I suppose on an even keel. The clinic has finally narrowed the pain down to the basic movements and they are the same as years before. No improvement on the damaged parts, but significantly better mobility. That makes it a judgment call if this is working. Admire this statuesque picture of Tilda on morning patrol.

           Not being a big consumer of the goods sold in pharmacies, which these days ranges from cigarettes to slow cookers, I thought I’d price out this KT tape. I have a new tattoo each week and the tape works for me in that it keeps me from straining in any arm position for too long. Did I say how this stops me from sleeping on that shoulder? Anyway, I balked at the price, the smallest roll was $20. As I slowly walked backwards I took note of other prices. I’ve been out of the loop a while, gang. Everything on the shelves was at least $8 or $10 for the small size. Triple what I last saw maybe five years ago. Much as I chose music as my backup plan, maybe I should consider at least one other alternative, and I don’t mean the hotdog cart. Which I forget even how to fire up. But I’ve got it written down. Shown here, I sprung for the new cans of CPVC cement. Universal cement, actually.
           The ladies at the Thrift were half waiting for me to show up. Like many, they had watched the vice-presidential debate but didn’t follow most of the issues. They want to hear about how they can get back to work and instead they get inter-party squabbling. I thought the debate was roughly 50/50 except that woman lost a lot of ground by being so dodgy, but others seem to conclude it was a disaster for the Democrats, even with their state-run press hailing it a victory. The Democrats want to change the Supreme Court into a branch that can override the other two. So, revamping my assessment of 50/50, when you consider the missing parts, it’s more like 30/30. Ha!

           The topic became exactly what is court-packing? Every source I’ve seen says it means to expand the number of Justices. But that doesn’t tell us why it attracts the Democrats. Here’s what I think. When a vacancy arises, the government in power is supposed to appoint a replacement, subject to approval by the Senate. Fine, as long as the appointment is based how well the new Judge will make pronouncements based on the Constitution. However, the Democrats are constantly at odds with that document and have, when in power in the past, They’ve appointed people sympathetic to their leftist policies. That politicizes the court. At present, they control three of the Justices. They need five for a majority. Thus, they were incensed when Trump made the recent appointment of a Constitutionalist.
           The current number of Judges is nine. If the Democrats get in and two of the Judges retire or die, they could appoint more liberal stooges—but only if somebody dies or retires. That is unlikely, so what do they do? They want to change the number of Judges to 15, so once in power they could appoint six of their own without waiting for a vacancy. That’s packing the court.

           Thanks to the Reb, these days I am more likely to buy fresh items often, where before, a can of corn was fine by me. This year to date, this is my average shopping trip, that is, how much I spend per trip without specifying how many trips I make. It was fairly consistent until now, for which I will seek an explanation. Inflation alone would not cause such a bump.

                      January: $14.65
                      February: $17.71
                      March: $15.67
                      April: $18.73
                      May: $18.23
                      June: $19.88
                      July: $18.10
                      August: $17.28
                      September $18.52
                      October: $25.40

Picture of the day.
God’s River, Manitoba.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Might not have been my day, but let’s talk about late afternoon. Don’t but things in the back pockets of your work trousers. When you sit down, you will eventually poke a hole in the fabric or your arse. The couple with the porch light don’t own the place, it transpires they rent from the neighbor. So around dark, I’m putting a new sheet of heavy plastic over the shed roof to address the leaking problem He won’t hear of me doing the work as a favor, so he insists I take $30. Well, you don’t have to insist all that much with money, so I took it and stuck it in the back pocket of my work trousers. Only to find the other $30 he paid me for fixing the chain link fence a few months ago. Woo-hoo! I’m going out tonight.
           Before that, I fixed the east shed barn door. This involved removing a flange of wood that was in the way from the old white shed, which meant moving the ladder, it was fun. Then I installed the hinge, discovering I had to reinforce the back plate, as seen here. That’s done, and I installed one of the fancy door handles. If you see the picture, I got energetic. I was going to head for Winter Haven, but I’ll just go to the old club, see what’s up. Nothing, but so what, I’m not there to meet anyone.

           I have news from Tennessee. Sparkie is not well, he has some kind of inflammation where a doggie shouldn’t. He went in this morning for blood work and X-rays. The results are pending. In a kind of procedural way, we’ve come to view the doggies as my nephews. I’m an only uncle. Hey, but that makes me also the richest and kindest one as well. I don’t care if we have a hit record or win the lotto, that will be the day I get somebody else to walk the dogs. Much less pay them. Not on my watch. This photo of the plastic covering on the shed roof shows one large piece of plastic. It is tacked only around the edges, which I may reinforce. Otherwise it is susceptible to wind damage. That makes this picture a wee overdramatic, what with that morning sun and the surrounding greenery. Hence the photo itself was novel enough to be recorded just for that reason.


           Music. I took McBride’s version of “Rose Garden” and put in a better “piano” bass line. It isn’t materially different than what’s there, so it has to be played exactly right every time. The original is a bit more complicated than it sounds. Yet it is still just a standard three-note progression. What I did was add two major walk-downs, one octave each, using my old anti-guitar technique of telegraphing the chord changes. It’s subtle because I’m playing an orchestral sound that is already there. And there is one note after the short instrumental break that is giving me a lot of trouble. It’s just not right and I can’t find the spot on the bass neck that gives the right effect. What a lot of effort for am1970 hit that I may never play. Don’t rule it out, however. The song was written for a male vocalist and it seems to regularly re-appear, most recently by McBride fifteen years ago. That’s the version I play.

           The old club, now with all the leftist restrictions removed was packed. It’s the place where you often see the young-marrieds out for a kick on payday. And tonight they were showcasing. The jukebox was alive with new country hits, except for this one top-knot knob who kept playing that pseudo-rap indie crap, oblivious that he was being laughed at and cat-called. This is why many consider millennialism as an incurable mental defect. I leave them be, as there have been jukebox heroes for as long as there have been jukeboxes.
           Not one woman of my type in the premises, I sketched out some items in my ever-handy notebook. Rather than cut a special vent port for a fan, I’ll use part of the existing window. Good thing I made that four feet wide. The shed is now mostly secure except that neglected corner of the white shed. In reading, I took a closer look at shipwrecks, wondering how many of them were losing money at the time.

ADDENDUM
           The libtards have finally grasped how vulnerable they are trusting their self-serving polls a second time. They’ve stepped up their advertising, stressing that Biden will not raise taxes after he said so often that he would remove Trump’s cuts. Here is their juvenile approach to the denial. They now say he won’t raise taxes on anybody making under $400,000 per year. But, as with capital gains tax and poverty level calculations, we’ve seen too often how willing they are to lower that ceiling once they get. The whole gang say they will finance their operations by making corporations pay “their fare share”. So, once more, let me explain to their underlings how that works.
           Corporations need millions in profits to stay in business. We may detest huge corporations, but they are an evolution of capitalism as practiced in America. If they do not continually produce enough money to invest in new plant and equipment in our competitive society, they become the next Sears or the next Radio Shack. Unlike individuals who need only a small nest egg to start over, corporate changes are phenomenally expensive. It’s a fact, Kamala, get over it.
           What happens when you tax corporations? Let’s take the example of a box of cereal produced by a corporation. If they pay a dollar per box in taxes, what happens? They pass that dollar on to the consumer by increasing the selling price. They have to cover that tax or go bankrupt. So who winds up really paying the tax? The consumer again—but didn’t Biden just state he would not raise taxes. Sorry, Democrat party, you cannot have it both ways. This is the first election in my lifetime where most people are not intimidated against pointing out your hypocrisy despite your fanatic efforts to stifle them with approved word lists.

Last Laugh