Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

May 12, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 12, 2020, six medical conditions.
Five years ago today: May 12, 2016, Win 10 sucks.
Nine years ago today: May 12, 2012, his wallet & car, both.
Random years ago today: May 12, 2007, Peruvian medicine.

           What a day, welcome to post-coof Miami. The governor removed most restrictions but the place is still over-populated by sheeple. Florida is Trump territory, but can be very left-looking in public which is all for show. The law went further to give it some teeth by making it illegal for shops and businesses to insist on masks and to outlaw anybody accosting people for not wearing a mask. No California-style public intimidation here, where we also have stand-your-ground gun laws. Florida works just well enough with all this to keep most big-mouth bullies in their place.
           I’m here to get a brace of clinical and lab tests so I can get away this summer with minimal interruptions. JZ and I also moved a bunch of furniture and bicycles so you’ll have to wait likely until I get back to my office for any description of today’s top stories. Just before I left on this trip. I snapped a photo of the peach tree. I forget how much I told you, but this tree was dry, brittle dead. Until two days ago, I could not believe my eyes. So I took this picture. There are around twenty of these sprig-like leaf clusters, but if their color and vigor are any indication, it might be real peaches and cream again.

           The Reb got me to talk on the phone again, that woman is able to work wonders when it comes to getting me moving. There’s a simple equation for business ventures we discuss and if you could see the workings, the budget moves much slower than the changes of direction. For instance, a year ago we looked at that Forex program that had a monthly membership fee. We cancelled our participation within two months, but the fee remained allocated and unspent. Same with the printed mugs, we discovered the very newest testimonials were early 2020 before a kazillion people signed up over COVID and saturated the market. That money is also sitting there unspent.
           We have now passed 40 businesses, all of which advertised as producing passive income. In most cases we found a disturbing trend. Most we rejected outright but the ones that did seem to have a solid business model, when you totaled up the hours and efforts in a realistic fashion, they simply did not pay anywhere near as much as claimed. Who remembers my publications with eHow? Most posts were five-minutes jokes, where I put as much as two hours into each of my reviews. Six months later, my best post, despite excellent reviews and comments, produced only 34 cents. We are finding the same with many on-line enterprises now that we know what to look for.
           There may be something to working for nothing for ten years for a big payoff in the end. But that concept sure as hell didn’t start with the Internet. If you had enough money to last ten years before your first real paycheck you probably already have all the passive income you need. And I’ll tell you what else is a reprehensible thing on-line. The “limited time offer”. What a dismal lie, think about it. If you stumbled across something that made money on-line, why would anybody in their right mind limit such a thing?

Picture of the day.
Gàsadalur.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           While visiting in my spare moments today, I was asked to look at a computer that would not boot. In reality, it was booting but the files had been encrypted and locked. Not ransomware as recently blogged here, this was BitLocker. As far as I am concerned, it is MicroSoft’s version of ransomware. This is not the first computer I’ve seen that was rendered useless by BitLocker by people I know did not ever, even by mistake, put that crap on their equipment. Over the years I’ve tried many a DOS solution unsuccessfully, but I know it’s in there. BitLocker has never been hacked as far as I know and I’ll tell you why I consider it a MicroSoft virus attack.
           Because, just you try to contact MicroSoft and get the clear instructions promised to get the BitLocker encryption key. Not so fast. MicroSoft needs to pump you for information first. When did you buy the computer, when did you buy the software, plus all your personal information. That, my friends, is a form of ransom. I’ve never tried it because I confine anything more recent that Vista to one computer on which I keep no important files, but I’ve seen people using a flash drive to grab Windows 10. Alas, no time to pursue that because JZ and I decided to hit the old stomping grounds. That would be the Last Chance Saloon, an hour’s drive but worth it.

           We left in a rush, so I forgot the camera. So all you get is a view of the ass-end of that torpedo in Palatka last week. Entering the saloon, well, they’ve destroyed a lot of the old-era charm. What used to be a real bar has now been replaced by a gleaming plastic countertop and new lighting brightens the place too much. It’s still a ton more ambience than most newer places with their synthetic atmosphere, grinning but indifferent staff with their inability to connect with anything but more of their own kind.
           JZ, being a pool player, talked us into heading over to a place with more tables. Where he proceeds to lose to these two Peruvian pool sharks and I anonymously bought drinks for this really old lady in the corner who I figured needed a secret admirer. One thing more than obvious is that JZ and I, while not the dinosaurs in the room, have passed the torch to the next wave. At least we made it all the way having fun. I look around and see so many people in our own category drowning sorrows and crying the blues, at least we never wound up like that.

ADDENDUM
           The visit was another round of medical tests centered on eyes. I thought several times about not blogging a word on that, but it will dominate my world if it gets any worse. It isn’t, but I would like any assurances my insurance can afford. Which is the real topic here. You see, I have the best insurance possible in America. The recent changes bring a whole new roster of doctors into the sphere and they are not slow to order the most expensive of possible tests. I thought it was sky-high before, you should see what is going on now.
           One thing has cropped up, it is that some of the people I was formerly dissatisfied with are not plunged as far into the background as I would have hoped. Shall we say at one clinic I needed a referral, but these days I just need go down the hall for that. When I returned, I was the only person in the reception area and the computer screen with my file on it was still displayed. All I can say is I could hear the entire staff in the far back room singing happy birthday and my ability to “read” people’s hands when they type is beyond useful. A few comment fields now contain a significantly more accurate version and choice of words.
           And phone number they refused to delete over the years while lying to me that it was gone? What happened there will some day be hailed as a masterpiece of subterfuge.

Last Laugh