Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, January 28, 2022

January 28, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 28, 2021, critical bass playing theory?
Five years ago today: January 28, 2017, true, I almost moved there.
Nine years ago today: January 28, 2013, I voted for Georgia.
Random years ago today: January 28, 2020, GFCI install.

           I’ll be outside as soon as the sun warms up a bit, it is 5:30AM. Here’s what I think will be the first of many. While nobody has yet used the Arduino for the world’s first billion dollar heist, here is something that, albeit on a smaller scale, follows all the rules. It is simple, cheap, Arduino based, and entirely created with a 3D printer. If you can’t see the combination lock, click and expand the photo. This gadget, still a prototype, will, they state, crack most combinations in eight tries or less.
           I’m impressed as this parallels my interest in sensors, which was enough to distract me from the Arduino itself, but that’s another tale from the trailer court. Shown here, the device tugs on the shank and spins the dial, taking note of the three numbers where the resistance to the spin is heavier or lighter. At that point there are six possible combinations to try. So why they say eight tries, maybe I’ll figure out later.
           Either way, other such equipment is sure to follow. That reminds me, get out and put up more shelving in the shed, so I can have space inside for my hobbies. Right now I have to clear a spot whenever I need to work on something delicate. And the cabin has a dust problem, it’s not bad, but if you leave something like a circuit on the desk for more than a week, throw a cover over it.

           That was Trent on the line and forget the VW van. He owned one and said, like the Chrysler product I had, the electronics are terrible. Build for the US market, then VW comes along and hooks up all their electronics, he says the headaches are many. So, cancel that and we keep looking. For the hell of it, I’m going to epoxy shut the leak on my radiator to buy me some extra miles on the other van. I know where the steady leak is and there’s a chance I can plug it from the inside.
           What’s this, a bridge in a Democrat city collapses just before a Biden visit? I’ll let you find the memes on that one by yourself. As for America being a third world country, all those pictures were taken in Democrat cities. The people shown are Democrat looters and Democrat homeless. There is nothing wrong with most of America in terms of the way the majority of people live.

Picture of the day.
Secret car storage, Luxembourg.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I got a lot of small work done including cover plates on sockets, but mainly it was another 18” of siding on the front of the silo. That new chop saw light makes it easier since I can work directly out the side door. No shelves went in, I did not feel like hauling the ladder inside. I was going to play a little game, but forgot to take a before picture. When I first started building small boxes, when was that? Some of the stuff came out pretty bad. I kept four or five of them as reminders of progress and have gone back to redo them based on experience. You can judge for yourself soon as the varnish dries.
           The scooter. Not until next Tuesday. The wheel came in, correct part and all, but it turns out the scooter is a 2001, the year they began making them, not 2002 as on the documentation. The wheel fits, but the brake caliper does not have enough clearance. Hmmm, that might explain the small wheel that was rigged up—if the fork was bent. I looked it over, it just needs a spacer, maybe a washer. If not, it is front brakes which I never use. If it comes to that, I’ll just disconnect it.

           The remainder of the Mitchfruit tree is sliced up for firewood. I had the chain saw out for a monthly run, so why waste the gas. After moving more gear to the shed, I took a break and threw on “Hunger Games”. Around fifteen minutes later I hear a joyful noise—and it is. Grandma cardinal has finally found the new feeder. So we have two females now sharing the area, which has three feeders total. Of course, now I wish I’d left one of the sections of the tree longer so I could rig up the birdbath. No problem, there is no shortage of branches and logs around here.
           I finally got the back off the Realistic CTR-75 tape deck and the repair requires two rubber belts. This is where the Internet fails. I doubt a tiny fraction of people post anything any more unless there is money in it. And that is what turned the system into such a frustrating bloody mess. Belts are available for $40. The original recorder, introduced in 1985, sold for $59.95. Or you can get a new unit still sealed in the original box for $109 plus $29 shipping.

           The early Internet, around 1995, was meant to have an altruistic side, where people posted and shared info just to be generous. That disappeared in a wink with the first advertising blitz, around 1997. For that brief moment, the Internet was actually a winner for those who could afford it. But, it looked and acted too much like cable TV and before you knew it, people with that mentality were the dominant users. They expected advertising and they got it, along with everybody who didn’t.
           These were often called “shoe box” recorders and were marketed with obscure uses like teaching children proper voices. The worst models had “sibilance” and even the best models down to today have the same drawback when operated by those a little too fond of contact sports. I use up to 30 cassettes per year and this has nothing to do with being out of touch. It has to do with convenience and price.
           If I absolutely must trust a medium to be played at the other end, give me a cassette. If you get stuck, a playback deck can be purchased, like the one I have, for less than $20 and the batteries are always available. You can’t name another device that universal or that handy. For example, I regularly meet people who cannot play an MP3 and actually lug around music on CDs. Maybe I’ll have a crack at fixing this deck. The sound quality on these older units can be amazing.

Last Laugh