Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 31, 2022

January 31, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 31, 2021, Apple begins ad-blocking.
Five years ago today: January 31, 2017, what explosion?
Nine years ago today: January 31, 2013, Estelle & Chinese food.
Random years ago today: January 31, 2003, every hero.

           That’s rich, the Brits, in a dodge to avoid COVID murder charges, are calling the vaccine-induced heart attacks as a “stealth disease”. An expected 200,000 deaths are predicted within five years. This is bound to spill over into America and I hope every pharmacist, doctor, and nurse who participated gets their asses chewed off. No trained personnel worth a shit ever believed masks or vaccines could stop a virus. They did it for the money, pure and simple.
           The thrill of this photo, a bag of potting soil, will become evident momentarily. This blog pursues the unusual, the non-ordinary, to either extreme because anything is better than boring middle of the road baloney. But even here we have nothing moments and this morning was one. Let’s see what I can rustle up. If not, the potting soil remains top story.

           Say, here is an article of the questions interesting people are reported to ask, as opposed to making small talk. Let’s see how I do, again, trusting in my honesty for the results. But, like I care if some idiot thinks I’d lie to look good? That’s why he’s an idiot. I know I look good, see recent band photos, son. Okay, let’s begin.

                      1) What’s your story?
                      2) What makes you smile in the morning?
                      3) What book influenced you the most?
                      4) What excites you right now?
                      5) What important thing should I know about you?

           I fail, I would honestly never ask a stranger such direct questions. Sorry, getpocket.com, all that shit is still small talk. Normally, I find myself on the receiving end of such inquiries, but let me see if I can paraphrase the top three things I might say to a stranger. Give me time to think, and we are assuming the stranger is female, which it is more than 9/10ths of the time.

                      A) I do ask about hobbies and interests, despite being constantly disappointed. I have never in my life met a woman with a practical daily pursuit on the scale of what could be considered a pastime, much less a woman who, over a lengthy period, had accomplishments to show for it. This excludes women who have talent, of which I’ve met several, all in the music field.
                      B) I’m surprised how many women who approach me easily fall for the trick question about what their husband/boyfriend/etc. does for a living. I do not pursue anything, including conversations, with women already paired off. As I’ve said before, there is enough trouble in this life, you don’t have to go looking for it. Exception, I will associate with women running their own business, but that falls far short of dating or anything personal.
                      C) Due to my [rare] habit of writing in public, on occasion I will talk to someone with specialized knowledge of academic or historical subjects. Usually they don’t come up with much. Most such convos end when they say the equivalent of, “No, but I read the comic.”

           I would also point out that the above items are nothing new around here. This manner in me has not changed much since I was 21. I had long learned by then what worked well. Few men believe that I never talk about sex with a women I just met, but most men have mental shortcomings in that department. I once used to say if I wanted a woman, I’d just ask, but I believe the last time I ever had to ask was in late 1987. Thirty years, anyway. As soon as it gets up to 50ºF, I’m gone hunting for a new van. Wait a sec. Hey, its says 53ºF. See you later.

Picture of the day.
Nelson, Nevada (ghost town).
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s a view of the Rolls Royce electric plane zooming over Stonehenge. Designed to break the propellor-driven speed record--but only for electrics. (The WWII German Ta-152 regularly achieved 500 mph in a shallow dive.) Rolls means the 3 kilometer circuit, since the batteries drain pretty hot & fast. It’s tricky to get facts on the aircraft without all the millennial crap about the motors being smooth and silent or and the pilot’s hemorrhoids. The plane reached 345 mph, 100 mph slower than a P-51 Mustang.
           Much later, I looked at eight different vans and two cars.
I have nothing against running a car for a while until the right deal comes along. The van that got my interest is a Dodge Journey, a model I am not that familiar with. It’s a 2016, but the office could not find the paperwork, so maybe a 2017. Don’t ask me. It’s got most of the features I like. The lot still has to have a mechanic check it out, they just received it y’day. So I can’t test drive it until tomorrow.

           There is also another van that looks okay, it’s a Sonora, another type I don’t know. I’ve half-decided on it if the Dodge doesn’t pass muster. The situation is if I get this van, I could be in Tennessee by the weekend. I toured several lots in the area and only one of them are as bad as I first thought. Super high prices and they try to shine you up right away. I’m not biting that “shortage of inventory” nonsense. The used vehicle lots are crammed, though not overflowing. Plus, that lady who said all the vans I looked at would be gone within the day, they were all still sitting there.
           Both JZ and Trent say either van is good, they’ve heard no bad reviews. I had Agt. R lined up to give me a lift if I bought anything today, but then decided I’d wait to test drive the Journey. Just you watch, he’ll disappear on me. I ran into Mac, the guitar player again. He moved to Winter Haven, but still hangs around the same clubs. He’s played the circuit up in New York, another place I have never seen much of except airports. He says we should jam if I bring my bass, which I don’t like leaving in a vehicle, but I still have my five-string so don’t rule anything out.

           He asked about the gig. I can’t blame him for avoiding the hassles of a group. He knows we have a fantastic sound and we’ve got okay harmonies (I can only do thirds, no fifths or sevenths). You never know, I suppose, and our song lists are virtually identical except he will play Eagles which I shun. We got a laugh over that rocket launch they had to call off because a cruise ship full of gawkers got too close. Early reports say it was Royal Caribbean, who should know better because the space port issues warnings well in advance. All this leaves the potting soil as top story, folks.

ADDENDUM
           Snipers posted atop Canadian Parliament buildings. Trudeau hiding in a secret bunker. Tons of unsuspecting protesters in the streets. The Gestapo have taken over a nearby hotel and stocked it with thousands of rounds of ammunition. This could get interesting. Two years ago there is not a Canadian who would have believed this possible. They’ve been living in denial for 40 years but the drift was plain as the nose on your face. A classic Marxist takeover, first the newspapers, then the education system, none of them suspected a thing, calling each dirty little law that passed “progress”.
           My connection with this was the years I studied income tax accounting. We were required to choose and study one foreign country’s system, and I chose Canada. Little did I know before what a nightmare that tax system was. Designed from the ground up to keep tabs on every citizen, it was worded so it could be constantly modified against any citizen by turning tax avoidance into tax evasion. Canadians may point out that food is not taxed, but the law is written that it is taxable, just being taxed at a rate of zero percent. For the moment.
           The stage where I knew the system there was totally corrupt was around 1996, when they passed a law that it was not only illegal to structure your affairs to pay the least tax, but a jailable offense to even try to think of any way to lower your taxes.

           Now that the Prime Minister has gone into hiding under the guise of “self-isolation”, a lot of the world including myself has begun to pay attention. I love it when liberals get their own medicine and it seems the mayor of Ottawa contacted towing companies to begin removing the trucks. It seems they all told him the have COVID. I’m certain this has nothing to do with my post last month that somebody should stop by the home of every tow-truck driver for a brief chat on public safety.

           In their next move, the truckers have banned mainstream media from their press conferences. Myself, I didn’t know you had to be invited or that the press could be banned. It seems you can perform this brand of reverse censorship by being on private property. According to the trucker spokesperson, it is easy to spot the MSM. They show up with five cameras and bully everybody. If I didn’t say, part of the reason I’m more interested than ever in this trucker protest since Trump mentioned it is that in Canada, the bad people are so concentrated in one tiny area. The government, the newspapers, and the tax collectors are all in that finger of land just north of Lake Erie.
           This clustering of the factions needed to run a corrupt system also makes them vulnerable. There are reports the airlines are no longer forcing mask mandates in first-class. That original protester who kept his gym open and got a police visit is now running for Congress.

           Trivia. Did you know only 27% of Internet users have an ad blocker, I figure the rest must be suckers for punishment. Why would anyone subject themselves to Internet advertising?

Last Laugh