Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 22, 2022

September 22, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 22, 2021, what’s a galvanometer, anyway?
Five years ago today: September 22, 2017, Miami by car.
Nine years ago today: September 22, 2013, stainless steel, buddy.
Random years ago today: September 22, 2012, Rule 30.

           A lazy day and not soon enough. Wilford reports his grandfathers yard is full of avocados so he’ll drop off a bag of the seeds. Good, sooner or later something has to grow around here. I glanced around Florida and Tennessee for the cheapest properties and there aren’t any. Nothing worthwhile less than $200,000 and includes condemned buildings. It’s 2008, I’m telling you. Blackrock has stopped buying which can only mean a bust is pending. While some properties fell as much as 30% last time, most dropped by maybe $50,000. That is not good enough. We need a disaster to shake out the system. Do I care who loses their houses? Not anymore than they care how hard they make life for others.
           Today is out, just bringing in the laundry around the house [in this heat] was enough. The six or so linden trees Ieft in strategic spots to give a lot of shade. I finished sifting another three gallons of topsoil I’ve given up trying the layers and mixes and just put pure topsoil in the pots now, often a foot deep. Remind me to get to the farm store, I need supplies badly. Chain oil, root starter, birdseed, all the basics for your summer cabin in the sub-tropics. You know the big list of things to do around here? Well, I worked hard on the list. (That’s a joke, Ken.) And I went through my emergency music cables to find all five of them don’t work or have leaks. Nothing lasts forever, but guitar cables in storage should make it to a hundred.
           Here is Mr. Smart, the squirrel. Y’day he learned to use acrobatics to defeat the baffle. Today, here is he is using the same strategy to raid the suet feeder. Physics does not work, so now I’ll try chemistry. Drop back tomorrow for a view of the red hot spicy birdseed. Some say it is only semi-effective. We’ll monitor the situation. Oh, and the squirrels are so nervy they sometimes try bumping against the window glass.

           One of my semi-followers is some guy called Catturd. I see his name most often when I describe a complicated process and he’ll kind of give the thumbs-up. This morning it looks like he is being attacked by the big shots for whatever he posts. Of course, I had to now go look and he’s on Gab.com, or at least I think he is. I’m not sure how to navigate that site except for the most recent posts and that’s where I see his work at the top.
           Trump has found out one of the documents stolen from his house in Mar-a-Lago is his will. The immediate concern is obvious, but the long term effect is bad for the administration. A will is private and that is one of the things nobody will forgive the Democrats or their Gestapo if details get leaked. I remain amused by all the warnings that appear before school starts, mostly about protecting students information. Don’t put their address and such on their knapsack, etc. Amused because I’ve been issuing the same warning since long before the Internet came along. While I was on social media, I looked at postings on Twitch. I think that sort of thing is just great for men who can’t get the real thing.

           California has voted to allow teens who have been cyberflashed to sue, an interesting approach to a problem that no longer concerns me. A study in the UK revealed that over three-quarters of teens have received unsolicited sex photos. But I would not go so far as to call them “victims”. I mean, the sending party must have got their phone numbers somehow. Forgetting to disable autoplay, I then watched a few videos on why self-help books and methods don’t work. Think about it, by the time you are buying self-help books, you’ve become the sort that nothing will get you back in your lane.
           I mean, I knew that stuff, but I kept watching. Because I just did not realize what a huge industry it is, preying on people who feel they’ve been left behind. Methinks that is four out of five people. The dumb advice is always the same. Keep a journal so you will remember the past, mark you calendar so you use all your time productively. Gee, next time I’m feeling left behind, I must give that a try.
           Oregano. That’s the plant in this picture, but I had to single this one out the way the light played on some of the leaves. They are really all the same color so this is one of the most unique plant pictures of my “budding” photography apprenticeship. And I found the missing stamps. You know how they slant the windscreen on cars to make them more aerodynamic? It also makes the front of the dash so far away you cannot reach it from a sitting position. That’s where they locate the slots for the defroster. You can figure out the rest. I also found that missing letter to Marion.

           Then a quick clip on Germantown, in Jamaica. It’s revealing. The place is poor, but it has been populated by Germans for 150 years. They work the same types of jobs, with the same incomes, and same influences as the non-whites. After all those years, there only connection with other whites is pretty much severed so they are a case example of what happens in the long run when both whites and blacks are placed in an identical situation. Some 1,250 Germans were given 500 acres by a landowner, where they live in the same slave huts and ate the same rations. There were German peasants seeking only to survive. Yet up to 1970, you could take one look and tell who lived in the town.
           By 1970, the difference was amazing. The Germans, dirt-poor, still had schools, clean yards, shops, parks, electricity, and worked for a living. Their houses had gardens and most [houses] were painted. The streets were paved and the stores fully stocked. Some of the huts had central A/C. After 1970, the racial mixing began and today the whole place is now pretty much a slum.

Picture of the day.
English blue brain.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It looks like today is another nothing episode, even I’m getting concerned about the frequency, like it’s a signal of aging. I don’t age, I evolve or something. It dipped below 80ºF so I did some yard work. That’s the thing, it’s work but produces little. You saw I hung the thermometer on the fence, but it was exposed to the elements. I thought to slap a small frame around it and proceeded without a plan. Fine and all, but you get lots of wee mistakes, like screws that wont poke through enough and finding the brad gun is jammed. I take it all in stride, but then notice half the afternoon is gone. Cripes, is time speeding up or am I slowing down?
           Sitting down inside for coffee was an immense help. I really don’t have anything above ordinary to report, so you get the ordinary. I mixed a half-gallon of insecticide, it is spray time again. That label that says good for three months? They lie. It’s half that. My peach tree is free of all pests, not even thrips and other life-forms that love the warm weather as much as people do. In fact, look for yourself. Here is a slice of peach leaf showing a vein from the underside. If there were any serious pests, they’d be around 1/8th the size of this view.

           I filled a few more pots in preparation for a shop tomorrow. I brought the empty birdfeeders inside to the bench and I’m sure they are working as designed. But the seeds are getting damp inside the tubes. They clump and block the feed holes. The birds are attracted by the sound of my work, including the small chop saw, so I can watch them struggling with the seed. I have no luck with flowers, so I’ll see if there are any bushes that like planting in the fall.

           That overgrown spot behind the incinerator is now cleaned up a bit. It’s not as bad as I thought. One spot I have to get in with my chain saw, and beware of itchy plants in that small spot between all four yards. I wondered why the fences never met right there, then Howie told me about the big old tree that was there until its final lightning storm. Too bad it is gone, it would be the ideal anchor for a loop antenna in this yard. That reminds me, lately I would hear a voice on my receiver, which I should explain. You don’t need ham radio gear any more as most stations are retransmitted on-line. I sometimes listen to really slow Morse code and the voice is some UK repeater that came in when I mis-typed frequency 1933.05 mHz. This voice comes on clear as a bell, “What’s the prefix for the Honduras.”
           I’m curious about the clarity, it’s like a local FM station, so I listen in. I don’t bother looking up call signs because the information has no standard and it rarely gets updated. But these guys are not announcing the required station info. Are they on a radio phone? I say no because they are talking ham talk. That’s the reason I shunned ham as a hobby, it’s dominated by old men who talk radio lingo and I get enough of that mode around guitar players. Ah, they are from Stoke-on-Trent, the station but they went off air. So let’s find this place on a map. There it is, between Birmingham and Liverpool, east of the Welsh border. The antenna is at a Secret Nuclear Bunker, now a museum. I took a satellite peek and my word, those English do not like straight roads.

           That was JZ on the phone. An hour and fifteen minutes. (Am I becoming a phone addict?) He’s the guy who won’t go to the hospital until he’s super sick, kind of like me with dentists. So they give him some pills that upset his appetite, and with JZ, that’s serious. He’s got great short order cook experience. I identify with that because in 2006 they put me on something that made everything stay in my stomach like a lump of lard for an hour. He’s got the same now. We had much to discuss, since he’s fixing to retire and I’ve got over 20 years experience at how to make the calculations. I hold the record in my crowd for the youngest to retire and the record will now stand because all my contemporaries are over 50 and I retired when I was 41.
           He can afford a house around here, which was half the conversation. Taxes have almost doubled since I arrived. I likely won’t get to Miami before I leave for Nashville. Both of us have been prescribed anti-diabetes pills and blood thinners. This seems to be an American standard these days. He still remembers when I could not walk fifty feet and does not believe I get plenty of exercise just walking to the shed and back. Seriously. The way the yard is laid out, twenty trips a day isn’t unusual, that’s a half-mile right there. That’s why I can dish out advice to JZ to walk a mile a day and live forever.
           One change over the years is we now talk diet instead of food. It’s inevitable because American food is so bad for you. He’s convinced in no time at all the Reb will make me a vegetarian. That I doubt but sure, she’s influenced me a lot. JZ still likes fast food where I don’t even like to look at it any more. So I asked JZ what he ate today. I forgot he likes Burger King two-for-one coupon meals. Just say he listed eleven items, ha-ha. While we’re “just saying”, those days are long gone for me. For breakfast I had fried potato, gravy, one egg, and coffee.

ADDENDUM
           Now I’m worried. The Democrats are losing Oregon, something they could never imagine. They poured another $1 million into their campaign, making for a total of $3 million. They don’t seen to get it, if you burn down houses, people don’t vote for you. Then they set free a guy who killed a kid for being Republican. My point is, the left cannot possibly win, so they have to somehow disrupt the election. And I think they will try to shut down the banks on some phony pretext. They have to act fast, since whatever they do will need time to take effect before the election, which is just 6 weeks away.
           I’ve taken some measures to protect my accounts but that concerns withdrawals. If they close the bank itself, few people will last one week. I have silver tucked away but most Americans are too stupid to recognize it, so I would have to trade it for dollars.

Last Laugh