Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, January 29, 2023

January 29, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 29, 2022, ten bucks.
Five years ago today: January 29, 2018, read that addendum.
Nine years ago today: January 29, 2014, he’s lying.
Random years ago today: January 29, 2008, learning about routers.

           Yes, it is true. For the first time in my life I found a town so boring I turned around and went home. This is the opposite of my travel philosophy that you can always create your own entertainment. The good news is the whole day, including gas and food, cost me less than $100. This morning is slated for tidying up the yard instead of taking sextant readings on the Melbourne coast. Just to show I haven’t lost an eye for novelty, look at these windows from the old house y’day. This is the bathroom on the second floor. Why are they rotated like this? The reason is money.
           The rich guy had these put in his bathroom, where he liked to soak in the tub, smoke cigars, and watch the shipping traffic in the intercoastal waterway. With the windows this way, her could see out the window without having to lean up in the tub to look over the sill. Over time, these two windows became a landmark to the shipping, kind of a poor man’s lighthouse. Later I walked into the yard to see the effect and these would have easily been visible right across the open water.

           Now, back to work, the raccoons cannot be allowed to flourish. My estimate is that they’ve learned my yard is often not patrolled. No dogs, nobody home, and a feeding station well away from the street. I’m thinking this one through. My old cinder block incinerator has crumbled to about half-height, the cement blocks can’t take the heat. Is there some way to combine these parts? Also, I’m anxious to cover the air compressor before the rains begin big time. Here’s what is left of the fire pit, it still works fine but I’m still after a burning barrel, or better yet, something I don’t have to stand and watch. As it is, I have to wait a month until I have enough wood to stack this pit up, where a smaller load per week is better. I’m learning.
           As if tipping is not annoying enough, cashless is causing another problem. It makes it difficult to ignore the tip. This always causes backlash, which I agree, regulars should not be expected to tip as much as strangers, hey, I’m in the business of tips so my opinion is based on actual circumstances. Starbucks, the harbinger of bad service and high prices, brought in digital tipping and got an astonishing 25% increase in tips. Good for them, bad for you. A lot of people don’t know Starbucks is unionized and tipping should be forbidden, as good workers make more than bad ones.

           No link, but what a laugh, the protesters who chained themselves to the hooks on a duck farm slaughter chain. Then the chain started to move. It was ten times more fun than a weekend n Melbourne. All of them instantly shit their pants, and the soundtrack is a classic example of how fast a Genexer loses his soi-boi accent when the chips are down. And somebody set fire to the big Hillandale egg plant, killing some 100,000 chickens. Small farmers who raise eggs report a massive surge in demand.
           To completely change the subject, I’ve been watching the production of a model kit by a company called Das Werk. In this case, it is the WWII German Stug III. That’s pronounced “Shtoog”, a shorthand term for assault gun. This is a plastic kit but designed from the start to match the factory assembly methods and to me it looks fantastic. And example is the bolt on armor. Most kits would simply mould them as one piece. It’s 1/16th scale and went through five development states since late 2019. For expert builders, here is a view of the unpainted fighting compartment. Amazing detail.
           The kit retails for $160 with replacement tires available on by 3D printing, yes the model will roll along. The barrel is 17” long. Completed models are nearly $400, not to be confused with the metal remote control toys meant to fire BBs at each other and go into sleep mode when hit. One fascinating aspect of the plastic model is it must be assembled in the same order as the original factory assembly lines.
           There was another Tesla fire on the freeway. Thing just caught fire, took 6,000 gallons of water to put the thing out. I hope they send the driver the bill. ChatGPT has passed the US Medical Licensing exam. The FCC has finally moved to discipline a large carrier (Twilio) for telemarket infractions. Remember Billy, the gamer who filed a lawsuit for defamation because the video company removed his top score from displays? Well, it turns out old Billy may have been using a simulator, not the original game. He says that does not matter. Hmmm.
           Have you heard of SEI? It’s a test for self-estimated intelligence. The study shows that as men get older, they lower their estimates of their own intelligence. Guess what. For women it is the opposite. There’s a meme in there somewhere.

Picture of the day.
Rainbow lobster.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Raccoons. I inspected the damage and it is evident they are combing the entire area for any scrap of food. Somebody will call them in, but meanwhile, I need to fix the upper walls of my silo, as the are trying to get in through any opening and it’s only time until they spot the areas that are still just tarpaper. As for the birdfeeder, they did not break the hook arrangment after all, but the meal crimp on the wire loop. I have some extras I’ll find tomorrow Today was maybe an hour of work as I make a spot for the table saw and start a more general cleanup of tree limbs. The trees are always shedding leaves and small branches.
           Here is the new paint brush dryer, it seems the raccoons even have a liking for the water they are soaked in. Sorry for the cluttered picture, but that is a work bench in the background. Another call from Tennessee assures us the big doggie is doing fine and the lab tests show it was benign, a term I don’t really understand except that it means not bad news. The arrival of nice weather means I may see some progress on the red shed interior. I’ll be spending a lot of time up and down ladders this week.

           Amscot, who I use only for money orders, is the new record holder for long lineups. They need an express line. I forgot to mention I walked out of the Melbourne branch after my 15 minute wait limit. I drove past Kooters and that subdivision is going up daily. Amazing to watch them build a house in two weeks that costs ten times as much as the materials. Kooters has a new coat of paint, but they have a long way to go to reach the yuppie crowd moving in. The new guy quit responding, so playing there for minimum wage (tips only) is out. Food again is the category showing the largest leap in cost and news came out today somebody set fire the to big Hillandale egg plant up near the lakes. Killed 100,000 chickens. America needs a new and separate police force that has no say over which crimes they will investigate.
           I have a moment to review the trip to Melbourne, eastbound on Hwy 60. It’s maybe the only time I took that route for non-business and I found the countryside unfamiliar. It’s that scrub ranch land of stunted trees and swamp like the everglades. I paused at Yeehaw Junction which has now been declared an historic site. Nothing’s been done, it is just a fenced off ruin. Passing places I never heard of just 30 miles from home.

           Lots of roadside stalls. You know the score, thinking oranges would be cheap in Florida is like thinking oil should be cheap in Texas. By now I’m following unreliable GPS directions, 2023 and you still have to pull over to program those pieces of shit. I checked in at the one hour mark, 51 miles from start, putting in $40 of gas at $3.49 or just over 11 gallons. I see a turn at Armory Drive that will get me around Vero Beach. I see some farmland, perfectly flat but most is ranches with cattle fencing. .A nice 81°F in the van but chilly outside, I’m on the outskirts of Sebastian at the two hour mark. I’m on 85th Street South in Wabasso, the bad part of town.
           Moments later, over the causeway, it’s the nice part of town. Acres of townhouses with balconies and nobody outside enjoying them. Did you hear about the lady in Belgium who pitched a tent and rented out her balcony. Do that here and you’ll meet all the libtards you’ll need for a lifetime. Sebastian looks rich, sort of like what Miami would be except for the boatlift. I’m out on the A1A so I did not see downtown. There’s a jogging trail and to my surprise, one good-looking babe. Around here, jogging alone, she’s somebody’s daughter.

           I passed a couple state parks, which I don’t patronize. You pay taxes to create the thing and then they want $12 to go see it? On the one hour signal, I turned onto mainstreet Melbourne, I’ve been here by motorcycle. A big causeway, I’ve been here by scooter. Here’s where I started looking for the historical house. The other sites on the GPS have been shuttered for years. It sent me into a parking lot that took ten minutes to get back out of to the correct turn 300 feet away. Melbourne is not a traffic-friendly town once you turn off the main road. Three hours and 142 miles to get here.
           And a second good-looking gal. Two in one day, this is not like Florida. I talked a bit with a fiddle player, he says this is it, the street never gets any better. Just then some Jamaican type set up a PA half a block away and started blast reggae into the passersby. I got in the van and drove away. One thoroughfare is called East Strawbridge. Isn’t that a retard classic, anybody from out of town hears “East Drawbridge”, yep town councils were no smarter 150 years ago.

ADDENDUM
           Did you ever see that video of millennials trying to use Windows 95. The smart 50% caught on instantly and were amazed how well it worked for getting things done. The rest hated it, afraid to click on buttons and refusing to learn how basic files worked. Overall, they were impressed, but the ones that criticized were vehement against having to learn anything or do things themselves. They could not find fault with the logic, so they bitched about things like screen colors, lag time, and icon shapes. History tells us which half MicroSoft listened to.
           My plan to lead the opposition came up while checking in during the trip. I did not say lead of the revolution or resistance. I can’t lead rebellion, I have no army. I see the need for a third political party using the rotten Republican base as a stepping stone. But that’s Trump’s job and he held a massive rally again up in New Jersey or some Democrat state that steals elections. A somewhat gruesome discussion of death came about. I’ve seen the tunnel a few times and the topic turned to immortality. I said I might be able to name 200 famous people from memory. Everybody else dies in obscurity. Can you name your great grandparents? I have no idea about mine. So I chose to compare my own death to the person nearest in age that I know of who died recently.

           That would be Jimmy, across the way. He had one brother and one sister, who I’ve never met before or since. Jimmy dropped dead walking toward his sofa. Now, from a standpoint of immortality, that is a fail. If you define fail as nobody other than immediate family remembering who you are after they themselves have died, my entire family is a fail. Thus, I should become leader of the resistance and at least get my name on Wiki. What a plan, huh?
           I tried everything else. Fifty years of playing music hasn’t produced anything, face it, talent is not a trait that runs in my family. There’s this blog, with total readership still under a half-million in 15 years on-line. The only woman I ever met who didn’t try to turn me into a cash zombie has her own agenda. What’s a talentless, unaccomplished, small-time guy supposed to do other than go into politics? I’m just saying the topic was broached. Jimmy was only in his early 70s, you know.

Last Laugh