Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, October 23, 2023

October 23, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 23, 2022, oout of everything.
Five years ago today: October 23, 2018, America’s over-diversified.
Nine years ago today: October 23, 2014, he could have made Berlin.
Random years ago today: October 23, 2017, mostly Arduino stuff.

           I spent the day in the shed assembling boxes and I recommend it for anyone with “stuff” that needs storing. You likely didn’t catch I said assembling boxes. What I mean is I usually have box parts made up in advance that I have not got around to putting together yet. I did build one box today, but it’s far from finished. The new case for my old bass. In this photo, only the outside box is done, all the innards are still being fit to see what works. I had to make some design changes to accommodate the width of the lumber. I’ll show you that later, but I had to cut around the corners so the joints would fit three screws. Two wasn’t strong enough.

           Nor am I certain the plan will even work. The case is light but still adds to the load, and I’m incorporating storage for cords, cables, batteries, accessories, and sundry other items that other makers are loathe to provide. My nice table saw is acting up, I think I’m finding out why it was given to the Thift. It works great for small cuts. But whenever I need something longer, like the plywood bottom of this project, various woes arise. The blade binds, the saw gets hot, the lumber tends to climb up the saw blade, all small stuff but added together make the saw a pain.

           The neighbor to the east really likes the boxes. He had apparently planned on doing some woodworking in his retirement, as in twenty years ago. So he has some nice tools but they’ve gone to rack & ruin. I was just finishing an extremely strong small box when he called over the fence, and he really liked the box when he saw it. He’s not a belt sander inside, which we hauled onto the counter and started up. It runs find but the belt was brittle from age. I got it to run for a minute and what a great job on the box. He says if I supply the belts, I can use the sander any time. The way his shed is situated, I can step outside my workshop and ten steps to the side door of his barn.
           Let’s grab a coffee and listen to the news. Less than 2% of Americans got the latest shot. Kari Lake reveals the RINOs tried to bribe her to stay off the election ballots for ’24. Not a lot of people are aware non-white women who join the US military and get pregnant can opt out and go on welfare for life. What a racket, huh senorita? Somebody should slap these people who say the Panther tank copied the Soviet T-34. In fact, the value of sloped armor had been known since the early days of iron-clad shipbuilding.

Picture of the day.
St. Paul, Alberta, this afternoon.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           JZ called with sad news. His brother has had a relapse and this is likely the end. I haven’t seen him in a couple of years. JZ says it has been a rough time for him and that he’s had the best of treatments to no avail. I have encouraged JZ to get out of the Miami area for years and there is a slim chance he might make it here in December. I know, that’s be said twenty times but this time he has actually socked away enough money. You may remember how he hesitates to leave down unless he’s got thousands “in case”. Every time we went to Naples or the Keys or even a trip to Tampa, I had to drag him out of the house and get going.
           He was taken aback by my latest report on Caltier, again reminding you he gets insider information. The shocker was that list of money required to protect the investment and the long term provision to make it appear to the observer that a regular amount is invested on a certain day each month. (Never you mind the reason.) It was not the concept that got him, but that it cost so much. And if he ever gets his e-mail working, he might now like things any better when he sees the amount of transactions and attention this demands. I say again, there is no such thing as a place you can invest and forget and still make any real money.

           This is the tray insert on the ammo box, it makes the blog because it has proven to be a headache. Are you weary of it yet? I’m getting there. I can get it to fit, then the next day it swells or the frame shrinks and it jams inside. I plan off 1/32nd of an inch at a time, and it still exhibits this glitch. I found myself reworking it for probably the sixth time today. I have to apply a new layer of shellac each time and now I’m running out of that. The stuff costs $23 a quart.
           Pulled up some old addresses of places I’ve lived since I was 16. Most are gone, given way to condos, parking lots, and urban sprawl. But one stands out, my Aunt Anne’s place. It may have been designated an historic site. Pictures of it show a completely modern renovation and removal of the gables. The house was built in 1912 and last sold in 2012 for $2 million. It is listed as four bedroom four bath, but that does not include several completely finished rooms in the attic and a closed in back porch, making it more like eight bedrooms and five bathrooms.

           Floor space is over 3,700 square feet and it is estimated would rent out at $7,800 per month or produce $415 per day as a bnb. My aunt lived there from 1958 to 1978, that’s the one that let me stay in one of those attic rooms for a week that cold, cold winter when I was a teen. I’ve never treated a dog as badly as she treated me. What’s the connection with today?
           Well, that’s the same aunt to shafted me for the $15,600 I was promised for a university education. That money was part of an estate worth $80,000. I had worked four years based on a promise my education would be paid for. In the only trip aunt Anne ever made to visit my mother, it was to tell her that promise had been made while I was a minor, so don’t pay me and divide the money equally. I was forced to resort to student loans which took me another 18 years to pay back.
           So, when the Caltier investment was planned, I had to commit enough funds to guarantee a year’s investment, which I calculated to be $1,250 per month. It looks like in a couple of days [from now], I will meet that quota over a month in advance. A year ago, I had no idea what the average Caltier monthly distribution was, but if next week it pays the average on my total, it means by fluke, you guessed it, I've made my goal. By my birthday next month, I will have $15,600 in the fund.

Last Laugh