Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

January 10, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 10, 2023, remember DoNotPay?
Five years ago today: January 10, 2019, remember ReplyASAP?
Nine years ago today: January 10, 2015, the coveted butterfly capacitor.
Random years ago today: January 10, 2001, four hours.

           A disturbing medical report from Tennessee, but we have turtle-power and unlimited optimism. Two arm bones were affected by the incident and one is being stubborn about healing, meaning that cumbersome cast will remain where we had hopes she would get a light-duty model. I’m not much help except for morale and keeping other worries away.
           And work, over here I can work, that’s all I was ever good for. You know what’s on the top of my shopping list? Underwear. That’s right, winter underwear, I don’t have any. I’m not rich, but at least I’m not freezing my arse off in Minnesota or some other libtard backwater.

           Propane bottles. I can’t find my spares. Probably in the silo, the cold spell of last week showed that to properly heat a single room for an entire month using store-bought refills would cost $600 per month. Remind me to get the big tank tested, you know, I’ve never had one tha big filled, rather just the 20s on the hot-dog cart. Prices are easing slightly but that’s the resiliency of the US economy, not any political genius. There is plenty of talk as DC grows more desperate by the day, it seems. They even put about that Trump would order ST6 (Seal Team 6) to take out the bad guys. Odd, since Trump can’t order anybody to do anything.
           See the nice photo of the pallet? Sometimes that’s the best thing that happens. After a while you develop an eye for the best type of lumber for boxes, and the nearly perfect slats on this puppy show I’ve got the knack. Once I commence, in 11 minutes this pallet will be no more. Some see a pallet, I see five pieces of beautiful box sides, a top and a bottom, and some skids that can be used for rafter blocks.

           The next audiobook is about lawyers, and the first chapter goes out of its way to convince us lawyers are people, too, just not so much. So far this audiobook is not a winner, so I’ll tell you the premise. Lawyer one shoots lawyer two for sleeping with lawyer one’s wife, the wife plants the gun and shell casing on lawyer two so it looks like suicide. However, such situations leave the guilty on edge the rest of their lives as evolvgin investigative techniques, suspicions, new evidence, and plain old happenstance are now a constant companion. In fact, I’m wondering why there has been no announcements of the police turning A.I. on cold cases.
           I’m late underway this morning because I got intrigued by a novel small motor design. It runs on DC but only has one electromagnet and no commutator. Instead, it has two permanent magnets on the shaft, arranged so that one closed a reed switch, turning on an electromagnet that repels the opposite magnet. Ingenious, as each magnet revolves around, it opens and closed the reed switch to keep things going. I should build one.

           I’m using OpenOffice until I find my install disks, and I sure do not like it as much as before. It was the concept of an alternative to MS Office to utilize MS files. But either they’ve gotten palsey with MS or are reacting to pressure. The default behavior is to trick you unto using MS-365, which is a subscription. I can’t find the way to disable that as a default. Hit the wrong key and you get a phony notice from Redmond that you owe them money. Fat chance, Redmond, I’m your worse opponent, though not your enemy quite yet. Here’s a picture of more lumber simply because it is the only thing I have for you today. The 2x4 is the window sill, the 2x3s have dropped to $2.46, still a leap from the $1.96 when Biden started printing up money.
           The charts comparing Biden to Trump have passed a revealing threshhold. To make the stats for others even visible, the scale means Trump goes off the top. Trump is so popular they have to stilt the view and it isn’t fooling anyone.

           It’s no surprise that Boeing’s troubles with the 737 have been linked to using coders instead of programmers. Turns out they contracted a lot of the software to third-world “engineers” for $9 per hour. I documented the downfall of Beoing in this and many areas when I lived in Washington in the late 1980s. There was a lame fad at the time to copy “Japanese managegment” practices. I almost went to work for Boeing in 1996 until I found out what they were paying. Imagine their mentality, trying to save money on a $100 million airplane by farming out the electronis to third-worlders.
           I should have know better than to shop for my size at Wal*Mart. Not only are the always out of size 8-1/2 shoes, today they were out of my size of boxer shorts. Three complete aisles of shorts, each with an empty hook where my size would be. Yes, folks, this is something that was unknown back in the day. And it still would be had people read the warning signs. Now, the old America is likely gone forever as the corporations realize they no longer have to compete with each other because of the masses of stupid people out there.

Picture of the day.
Abandoned church, Muldoon, TX.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           She plunged right down cold again,so nothing to report except the jam session. It’s 40°F out there. And the jam was almost a no-go. I arrived to find the Prez in the parking lot. Turns out at the last moment Keithe canceled out. This is a familiar situation ot me, we quickly decided to carry on without him. This had some consequences along what I’ve been warning the past two months. The most serious is that we have not kept up with out own material. We barely had enough for three hours even including some of our weaker numbers. Rest assured, he got the message. We’ve incorporated some unsuitable music from having played Keith’s material, but most every band winds up with music like that. Before continuing, this is the pallet after the above 11 minutes.
           We had to throw together a PA from what I had, as my spare microphone and speakers are in his garage. Because Keith had just enought jacks on his mixer, he got in the habit of not bringing the mic. The good news is that we are well along the way to capturing the duo sound—which also emphasizes that it is the bass that makes it different from a comping guitar sound. This was not so clear a while ago and in a sense I’m glad this episode so nicely pointed that out. We shared my headset and played all 32 of the core groups on our “home list”.

           As happens, the crowd was totally unresponsive. We got nothing in the jar and most people did not even turn to look at the band. It was mostly strangers and some very infrequent locals. Gigwise, it would have been a flop, yet it is the same hand-picked material for that demographic that brought great applause in earlier weeks. The Prez was right, we needed the practice, I guess. My PA quit working on one channel, I suspected a broken cable but we played everything tonight on one channel doubled up.
           Overall, it was a pretty good demo of the “lounge sound” that should be enought to keep a crowd attentive. This just was not such a night. After a bit, I played the rest of the gig sitting down. We’ll made a few changes, including keeping a spare speaker handy.in the van. A cancellation remains the single most common way I’ve gotten gigs in my life. The Prez’s style is not quite as natural as we were shooting for. This may be a backwater but we still must compete with some truly top-notch A-room groups retired out of the north and quite able to show this territory how it is done.
           We finished early enough that I stayed after and wrote a couple letters. There was a new lady in the bunch and this got her attention. She was on the attractive side, but not quite my type. Still, I would have chatted her up but she was allowing passes from the riff-raff in the wrong sort of way. She finally came around and asked what I was doing. I let her read one of the letters, the descriptive sort I send to Harry. However this can describe everything from REIT investments to turtle diets. Odd, although she had watched me write for 45 minutes, she insisted it was not my handwriting. Duh? Figure that one out.
           After all, I figured out why she was sitting in a bar at 50 years old watching other people write.
Last Laugh