Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 6, 2024

April 6, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 6, 2023, they waited 1,000 years.
Five years ago today: April 6, 2019, memories of Taj Mahal
Nine years ago today: April 6, 2015, 400 million years.
Random years ago today: April 6, 2007, Johnny D at the Octopus.

           Ha, did you get a load of that mob trying to get their hands on Trudeau in Hamilton? Displaced Ukraininans opting to go back home because New York City is too expensive and dangerous. But nothing beats Joe creating a list of “essential” federal workers he claims will be immune from the coming Trump layoffs. Called Schedule F, he’s compiling the list who Trump should hit first. Here’s the daring picture for this morning, a pair of pallet skids repurposed as braces for what has to be the cheapest fence section I’ve ever bought. That reminds me, I’m considing another panel that will give toal privacy to the entire back yard from the street.
           I believe I have a flu without a fever. Congestion and sniffles won’t stop me today from putting in a couple hours. Even if I build another small box, I’ll be happy. Part on handling these vacuum tubes means being able to locate a specific part with such a chaotic numbering system. I had a stab at noticing which families of tubes sold together on eBay but could not find any pattern.

           Here is a photo of the latest government-approved production of Romeo & Juliet. The same government has criticized Shakespeare fot being biased toward White actors in his original plays. Social media reports an upsurge in enquires about this version. Some smart-ass emailed asking which one is Juliet. That’s no right, okay, I admit I’m the one who posted the question first on their own site. By noon I’m feeling heavy chest discomfort, then I read that tuberculosis is making a comeback due to illegal immigration. If I didn’t live so far from those cities, I’d be worried. Ha, did you see some Democrat cities have taken to shipping the illegals to other Democrat cities. America loves it when libtards have to eat their own.
           Okay, let go of my arm, yes it was me who sent the email.
           Unfortunately, the chest and rib cage are pretty much the structure I use to play bass. I picked up my axe and after one tune, put it back down again. No, I can’t learn new tunes properly with the instrument on my lap. It’s one of those quirks from never having had a lesson, like the way I can’t play without watching my left hand. So I’m stuck here tor the day. In Tennessee, I’d just take the dogs for a long walk, maybe a couple of hours. The latest word from the Reb is she is doing fine and the arm is healing well.

           Later, mild sore throat. I’m reading and taking it easy. Am I the only one that doesn’t think it’s anything special when people who have been shacked up for 10 years decide to announce their marriage. The Democrats are so desperate for cash they want to tax rockets for launching into space. (Yeah, yeah, there’s no such thing as a free launch.) How about the Gen XYZ terms for getting canned
           My favorite is “snap” for a no-warning layoff and you can guess the meanings of “going sleeper” due to “microeconomic headwinds”. Don’t come crying to me, I spend my last ten years at the phone company at evening school preparing for the eventual (and predictable) end while the rest of the crew went to the stripper bar after work. I got ten bucks says most of them are still there.

Picture of the day.
$15,000 bike left unattended.
(Singapore has the death penalty.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           After over 40 years in space, the Voyager spacecrat are showing signs of age. Voyager 1 has been sending bad data since November over a fried memory chip. Voyager 2 lost communication for two weeks after a diversity hire send a command that pointed the antenna away from the Earth. What? I can’t say that? Okay, climate change made the antenna misalign. And I do believe we now have at least one baby woodpecker in the back yard. JZ called, we now have confirmation it’s some kind of flu. Dang, and this isn’t the first time I’ve had the indicators spread out over as much as two weeks. He’s got the same shoulder congestions.
           He called because he’s buying another vehicle and he has bad luck with that. I advised him to show up here and get one from the auto-mall which have a guaranty. This led to the conversation of local women, which he know are here. There are around 30 women I know are right for him, but he will never move in for the kill on his own. If I narrow the search to those still within child-bearing age, there is a selection of a dozen. These are not south Florida women. These are White, educated, employed, and all have their own cars. But how can I change the attitude of a guy who has lived in Miami his entire life? He grew up worshipping pretty blonde women and has never taken them off that pedestal.
           It’s pure chance, but I get around 30% of my incoming phone calls when I have something baking. Today it was these twelve muffins. Ooops, you blinked again. Here’s a spot of good news. The insurance company verifies they have mailed the check for the full settlement amount, I’ve got at least three people over here that do not believe I won this type of dispute with an insurance company. My guess is that is because none of my pals read the rule book. And everything from my early retirement (at age 41) to the fact I never pay bank fees telegraphs that I read the damn rule book.

           Back to JZ, I remind you he’s the only hope for a male grandson. All his brothers and sisters have only girls. About fourteen of them. But he will not dump that girlfriend of his that nobody likes and that fact is out in the open. He remembers when she was pretty and blonde but that was long ago. I know we are a team, I bring the gals over, all he has to do is be himself—but he’ll pick the worst one, he’s always been like that. Call it anything, low self-esteem, over shyness, fear of rejection, but here is a guy who has done everything for a nice girfriend except get one.
           He’s asked me countless times about who is in the old club, that’s the only place we ever wound up in his ancient visits to this town. All he has to do is show up. I’ve been here eight years, I know every one of the eligible women on sight. I know which are single, good, bad, I know their body counts, even who has lost or gained weight. The local pool of bachelors is pretty much non-existent, so JZ is wasting his time. I’m telling you, some of these gals are great wife material If anything ever happens that I’d be alone again, I would likely choose one of them myself, knowing there is nothing better in any big city nowadays.
           So, tonight I’m compelled to go to Karaoke. JZ knows the pickings are best just after I get off stage and walk back to the table. There are never less than five good-lookers. He’s just been in Miami too long and does not comprehend when it comes to women, the tables have turned. It’s almost dark by the time we got off the phone since he wants all the local news and gossip and band data, investments, you know, all the stuff he’d have if he’d buy a house here and get a computer. I’ve developed a deep, rheumy cough by now, but I gotta count those women or else. If he’d married Petunia when he had the chance, he’d be happy by today. Later, I never made it out the door. A mug of hot chocolate put me to sleep until midnight.

           Oh-oh, New Mexico may have to post their voter registrations on-line. The Democrats are one honest election away from annihilation. Keep an eye on this one. Wide awake and coughing, I opted for some documentaries several widespread topics, such as why Francis Drake never sailed Drake Passage. He was just the first to famously predict it was there. Another several articles on the finer inaccuracies of using digital clocks or watches for navigation. None of them allow for true noon readings and I was curious why. This is important when you use a radio signal for timing sextant readings. I simply use a clock set to Greenwich Mean Time, since my interest is an accurate procedure, not so much the data used in the calculation.
           I’ve done the equation of time often enough to know its effect, but never really bothered to deep learn it. The next stage, if I undertake it, is to learn sight reduction in other than the northwest hemisphere, which isn’t easy even completely understanding the theory. I need time working the tables, and time is at a massive premium in what’s left of my world.

ADDENDUM
           Want something out of the blue? The club is now one step closer to acquiring the technology to unlock phones. We have, shall we say, access to the needed software and have contacted “a knolwedgeable person” over what is needed to use it. Now, let’s be fair here, if you sell me a phone, I do not care what arrangments you had with other people. I am not bound by third-party contracts. Actually, I know very little about how and why the phones are locked.
           But remember when I worked at the Dickenson’s thrift. We had a steadt streaf people scrounding for used phones to unlock and send overseas. This taught me that it must be easy once you know how, and that the phones were being sold for $100 each. I never thout much about it until last month, when I found the going rate to unlock a phone is now $150.
           Again, I know nothing of the contracts. From what I gather, the phones are fixed when purchased to only work on a carrier that is tied in with the purchase. That arrangement would not be binding to me. I don’t know if the software works or how if it does, but I’ll have a go at finding out.

Last Laugh