Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, July 8, 2024

July 8, 2024

The Reb returns this afternoon and it is too hot to complete the chores. Wow, she’s a warm one and one item I wanted to complete was that screen door. Okay, who remembers those little spring-loaded latches that look like a little toggle to keep the door closed? You know the object I mean, but what is it called? You see, in our wonderful world of find-anything on-line, you still have to know what it is called. And none of the hardware stores I visited had anybody on staff who could manage this. It’s not in hardware or over in the screen door department.
The thing is not a latch (it turns out), but a catch. A screen door catch. And that was enough to stump them all. I finally went home and logged onto the iMac and had it within minutes. This just creates the next millennial chore, finding a store that actually has one as opposed to telling you they have one. My guess is $4.99 but I’ve already seen them on Etsy (labeled “vintage”) for $48. Anybody who thinks on-line shopping is the answer must be one stereo-typed SOB who only buys what everybody else buys, and is probably about as useful.