Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 15, 2024

September 15, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 15, 2023, papaya & cacti.
Five years ago today: September 15, 2019, working the Times.
Nine years ago today: September 15, 2015, reputedly unbreakable.
Random years ago today: September 15, 2015, I like blue shirts.

           It sure did not take me long to hate eBay. I have targeted 100 listings below my new price cutoff. It is uneconomical to list anything less than $10 unless they are moving by the dozens per day. So, let’s just go delete the listings we don’t want. Not so fast there, Chumley. You are dealing with the geniuses over at eBay. The edit “end listings” does not work on multiple selections. But if you waste the time I did, you can check the boxes (keep a list to update your tables) and click the “Actions” button. Yep, they got millions trained to do it the hard way.
           And talk about moronic. There is a reason most business reports look a certain way, and it baffles the staff at eBay, you know, the concept that related information should be grouped together. No way will eBay display the order number, date, and net sales information on the same page. I think they are boyfriends with the staff at Garmin, the GPS boys. Their system has the same dork format. You cannot display the distance remaining, the distance scale, and the large map size on the same screen. There’s room, for things like the time although every car since 1950 has had a clock in the dash. They deal with that by telling not to use while driving.
           So that’s how I wasted half the morning. Scrolling and clicking eBay screens to find out how much money I made. I got about half-done, cursing them all the way. You have to open each which involves a lot of scrolling because each listing takes up nearly 3” of monitor real estate, most of it is empty space. Then open each order and scroll down to the bottom right. Some of these reports are customizable, but why didn’t they just use the standard format by default. Ah, because they know they are smarter than anyone born before 1991.

           By 11:00AM, I’m crawling back in the sack with a chapter of “1421”. Magellan’s log has been translated enough times to show he wrote in advance that he was sailing to latitude 52°S. This makes me the next person to ask, if he was the first explorer to round Cape Horn, how did he know in advance that was the correct path to avoid the treacherous island currents? That, and other clues strongly indicate he had a map, and since he had been promised half the wealth he discovered, likely kept that map one hell of a secret.
           What’s no secret is how the Democrats operate. The whisteblower from ABC who leaked the story that Poon had a copy of the debate questions in advance has just died in a car crash. I found a PA system in Clearwater. No response yet. I just want the 6-channel amp, but it comes complete with 4 speakers, 2 speakers, mic stands, and cables for the same price. He has not answered all day. I checked his zip, he’s actually in Pinellas Park. That’s a hike from here. On the other hand, while I don’t talk that much about most gigs, music is a pretty big priority around here.
           These two pictures show the setup is well-kept. Here are two of the speakers, the unit on top is a 12” with a horn. About half the weight of what I’m using. The big speakers I can’t use, but they are included. I’ve needed a lighter duty PA for several years. Do I opt for the new A/C or go for the PA system? I have nine hours to decide.

           How have Americans been dealing with the 40% inflation? If you guessed credit cards, you are correct, they really are that stupid. It’s that gronk “what am I supposed to do” attitude at work. Stats show credit card but is up $7,000 per user. See, I told you cash was king. I would not care if 90% of people who use credit cards go hungry or worse. What’s this about another assassination attempt on Trump? At a golf course? That would make it an inside job. He never announces when or where he will be playing. Moments later, the report is true, shots were fired. This obviousness of these stunts is confirmation the Democrats are in full panic mode.
           An earthquake northwest of Seattle. I don’t know anybody out there now, but I know two people in Canada. Both have checked in okay, never felt a thing. They say inflation there is just as bad, but it is forbidden to complain in the media. They report the usual amount of yankee-bashing by their government controlled media. On about how buying a Bible puts you on a watch list. These things don’t happen in Canada because up there you are born on a watch list.

Picture of the day.
Chefchaouen, the blue city.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Correction, last day I said the Maxim machine gun crew was six men. It was nine, the extra three were additional riflemen to pick off enemy who made it past the arc of fire. It was also to spare two men to bring up more ammo if needed. Two men actually operated the gun, the third was the squad leader who directed the fire. Next, let’s take a look at more anti-squirrel technology. I still have the plastic model, the hexagon thing on July 17 last year. It was a good concept but here are some reasons it was not put into use. It’s still ack there if you want it.
           It was not heavy duty enough. I used PVC rings which a determined rodent could simply gnaw through. The cage itself set too close to the intended birdfeeder to let the birds have easy access. To refill the feeder, the entire hexagon had to be removed. While a squirrel could not enter the cavity, he could stick his paw through and get seeds that way. Shown here is a similar concept I saw on-line, with the rings made of metal fence posts. I lack the means to cut the 140 rings shown here.
           The last thing I need is another project and that nervy new squirrel has been hit with a pellet several times to no effect. I under-pump the rifle so he gets a smack and he new gets hit hard enough to really sting. One more pump and I might kill the critter, which is not my intent. Shown here is the interior of the new design, with a feeding tray that lasts a week. It is well back from the sides while allowing birds like the cardinal and smaller to get entirely into the cavity. The video shows the frustrated squirrel.

           Sadly, the birds are not that visible when feeding, which partially defeats the plan. But then, I don’t watch them as much as listen to them. I have most of the materials except the large diameter pipe and I have never used silicon in the matter shown by these instructions. I caught the immature rat that I could hear behind the stove since y’day morning. He gets an over night in the cage and the big ride in the morning. I mapped out a route to Pinellas Park and it is a 120 mile round trip involving driving through downtown Tampa, where I’ve been only once. Pinellas Park is the suburb between Tampa and St Petersburg. How badly do I need that PA? The price is right, $250.
           Earlier today I mentioned not talking about every gig. I suppose some people would differ, but it’s a fact. What gets the attention here are the gigs with my home band. Most others are jams, stand-ins, or open mics that are not band potential. You are aware of about half the times I play. I would like all gigs to become the ones to write about. What a great hobby.

Last Laugh