Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, August 10, 2026

August 10, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 10, 2025, das blinkenleitz.
Five years ago today: August 10, 2021, lively translation?
Nine years ago today: August 10, 2017, I love/hate NPR.
Random years ago today: August 10, 2009, Pudding-Tat.

           Confirmed Friday we should be in Miami. I slated a tank-up for this morning at between $68 and $72 budget dollars. And a tank-full nowadays gets me only to town and halfway back. That’s how come you find me in Clewiston at the Thrift, library, or Punto Rojo. That town is the gateway to the big open nothing interior of the State, along Highway 27. Gas will once again be the highest cost. Remember the Brakken? Nope, see addendum. And just like that overnight, my blog readership dropped by 98.4%. I think I’ll play some bass. Later, here is the box for Steve, noting the coloration. It could be darker, but this is an ace starting point.
           Ha, I found that elusive passing note in “Bad Leroy Brown”, it’s an F#. Keeping pace with staining the wood, I left some sample pieces both in the shade and the sun. This morning, I’m very pleased with the lightest shades, the mix of pecan and pine. It dries to almost no shade. I have for recordings from Steve and do not like the echo of the room we played in. I may dig out my old recording gear—but my stuff is that lame Tascam millennialware that only records one channel at a time. Where do they even?

           I waddled to the shed and put the finishing touches on the box for Steve’s cables, testing several staining techniques in the process. Once dried, the lighter colors take on a neutral tone. Time for some darker colors. I also check the Tennessee bank to see that Caltier has not made good on the redemption. But technically they have until 10:30AM California time to make good. Still, this is not looking well and I’m considering contacting the SEC myself to find out what the delay is. There are not that many ways the accept accounting and Caltier has had plenty of time to comply.
           Doing my best to now let money dominate today, here is another of y’day’s “failures”. I don’t have a hot wire cutter and could not recycle ordinary pill bottles. These could be useful if I could shorten them by half, but they defy being cut by a saw.

           I talked with the Reb and JZ. I decided it is time to visit JZ for a few days. He’s not business partner material, but he has a sharp mind for details. The fun part is he too often waits for me to make a decision and I will make decisions without all the details if the details are not forthcoming. Just you keep away from trying to guess reasons around here, for example, I could tell JZ fifty times I did not lend the Reb money for a car. But he’s no concept of any other such transaction possible. JZ is rich and knows you do not give people cars.

           Plus, I’m needing somebody sane to talk to, which negates the entirety of central Florida. I now have to begin the long process of rebuilding infrastructure whether or not things go right in Tennessee. And once again, I have nobody to ask about my next move. But I have to find out how this wallet and daily investment process works. In a sense, I’ve done it my whole life, but it is a paperwork shuffle when the world runs by the week and the month.
           Thus, LOFTY enters the beam again. It is crypto and I really need a handle on how that operates. It escapes me what LOFTY’s parent company is, but they set up airBNB, so Ethernet-wise, they’ve got lots of experience. JZ never invests, he has relatives who do that for him, but he has a decided sharp interest in the workings. He trusts nobody with money except family and that is the rule in Florida. Must be something in the drinking water. Gets people running blogs that feature broken pill bottles, things like that.

Picture of the day.
Ozark men’s retreat.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Expect some news within the week. I’ve opted to leave $6,000 in Caltier once the redemption is settled. I believe they will do this for two extra reasons. One is they still think we are accredited and roll out the red carpet. Two, the upper management genuinely appear to like us. The instant that is resolved, I will have LOFTY on the blower. Last week I said f they would set things up, I would commit to investing. If I did not say, I got a reply from one of their higher ups. Of all I’ve looked at in the past year, this is the outfit that is winning out. I think the market may tank, but the unwashed masses must still pay the rent.
           A quick conference call, and the redemption is looking positive. Except it will be called something else. Did you get that, Eric Clapton telling the wogs to get out of England. Maybe he’s gotten wiser over time, though celebrities are not known for accurate politics.

           Is there time to record another failure? Sure, and we have a picture for show and tell. Can you see the problem with this box? It is spray glue, only the bottom interior was to get a fine mist to hold a dusting of clove powder. The spray from the nozzle produced a slight haze that I never thought about. That vapor-like fume did not disperse and this morning I see it has turned into flakes and settled all over the wood, if you see it here. It is icky, sticky, we shall see if it ruins the box.
           I’m unhappy to report the stress of this morning tired me out just as much as over-work. It was siesta time, then I heard a small spoon hit the floor. It was near dusk, so it is not a mouse (too small), or a rat (nocturn), but must be a baby possum. They follow the same habitual food tracks, so I moved the live trap up to where the spoon had been on the counter. Now we wait.

ADDENDUM
           The Brakken is a massive oilfield discovered in Montana back in the fifties, kind of “Alberta South”. Enough oil to depress worldwide prices, but. It is oil that cannot be drilled, it has to be fracked. There is community pressure not to allow this relatively new method which has already been blamed on earthquakes. At least in the movies. Oil is a risky business, for if the Arabs suddenly don’t like you, they can drive you out of business fast. Margins are very tiny. I read the Brakken oil needs a minimum price of $60 per barrel to be viable. Kuwait alone could shut them down any time.

           Some other disturbing rumors surround Brakken. The drilling process often hits freezing water instead. The formation extends across the Canadian border, where drilling is already underway—and their producing wells release methane into the air, a lot of it. Strangely absent are news reports of breakages and spills which are a given with any oil operations.
           Wait, there is more they are not telling you. The Keystone pipeline that Biden canceled the day after the stolen election would not carry oil from the Brakken, but a nastier type of oil from the Alberta tar sands. That’s where Mitch used to work. And it is not tar, that is just what the raw product looks like. It is full of “zenes” and sulfur, worst, it is laced with bitumen. However, Canda is already our largest oil supplier and that is wiser than trusting the Saudis.
           It’s not widely known, but pipelines leak and break. Usually shoddy workmanship. For once, the environmentalists are not hyping it, the line would run over some of the most irrigated farmlands ever. And the tar sands are not friendly, they have to burn 75% of the “tar” to melt the rest enough to flow. All this depends on new technology that has unknown long-term effects.

Last Laugh