Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, August 21, 2026

August 21, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 21, 2025, never free again.
Five years ago today: August 21, 2021, academy of bluegrass.
Nine years ago today: August 21, 2017, the Nashville eclipse.
Random years ago today: August 21, 2010, remember the sammyzonk?

           This photo (gif) is because I have nothing more for you. It is a video known as “SubTitle Respect”. This remains a PG-13 blog, and yes, I have sent copies to all the guys I know. Except JZ, who still has no computer.

           I’m awaiting a tow to the shop, which might be Monday. Get ready for another low-effort day, starting with the Internet news. So, Trump is going to subsidize beef, meaning he’s buying you lunch with your own money. Did you know farm subsidies (the food-stamp people in case you didn’t know) do not go to the farmer or rancher. They go to the landowner, who is usually sitting in a penthouse somewhere. Grab a burger but don’t ask what is in it. Somebody just bought $200 million in BitCoin options. I pay attention to complaints about the lack of good women. If I didn’t have two loser brothers, I would never believe most men saying they can’t meet women at all, much less good ones.
           The sad news is yes, after you are 30, all the good ones are gone. Even Taylor let me down, poor thing. Feminists are siding with the lady who killed her kids, claiming demons. There is news that young men are leaving the workforce in record numbers. I wish they’d tell me how they manage that. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have left the workforce the day I turned 18. And the Navy wants to name an aircraft carrier after Trump, to the fury of the Democrats, or what’s left of them.
           Something is amiss with this blog, but I don’t know what. Too many accesses without a browser. Nobody to ask. My anti-robot text has no effect. I’m still looking, and meanwhile I get notice of this year’s property tax. Up another $100 so much for the 1% per year cap. I’m considering applying for the $750 exemption, which I did not formerly bother with because you only get one. By now, I’d figured on owning another, nicer place, but that is never going to happen.

           Pardon my glacial progress, it is another record hot spell. I did get into town and it took three hours to make a deposit, mail a letter, and grab some groceries. It’s as if my recovery is paused at a level I am most uncomfortable with. I’m halfway to the finish line and still dragging my ass. Let’s spend the morning searching for interesting videos. That, sadly, is my level of energy for weeks now. Here’s one with a jam by the Atlantic Rhythm Section. It’s a good thing most audience members do not realize how formulaic these things are.
           Of course I’m still reading FPGA code, I find it very challenging. I’m always amused by engineer-think. Verilog, the FPGA language, is full of it. They purposely make it complicated, but I’ll get it. For example, when you type a letter, you want it to appear on your screen. The command is “usb_tx = usb_rx”. I would fire the person who wrote that, because the command could just as easily display as “echo”. Also fired would be each person who uses punctuation marks as delimiters. What else can they use? Hey, let them invent something or quit calling themselves programmers.

Picture of the day.
St. George golf course.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It’s buried in my handwritten notes, but years ago I did a study of how long it took people to do things. Ii worked alone in an office of 300 women and had ample opportunities to tabulate such information. Chores I did after work before I went out for the evening were other people’s full time jobs. The inefficiencies alone were as insufferable as the people. I know it does not take 40 minutes to throw in a load of laundry, or 20 minutes to make toast and coffee. What brought this up was today’s performance, I seem to have hit a plateau where I am ambulatory but at 25% full speed. After a hard life and a bad heart, I am now the work-function-equivalent of a 22-year-old housewife.
           This affects my moment-to-moment. I played tune on the bass for diversion, and found I make some sort of mistake in every instance. The absolute precision that was my hallmark has degraded, with no way to know if this I permanent. I was expecting this, but not until 2035. I should have built something today. I fell asleep in my chair again, waking after dark.


           I reached for one of the small boxes and examined it. For all the small circuits I’ve wired up, only one was ever specifically for electrical wiring was back in 2014. It was the turn signal box for the motorcycle camper. It was crude and at the limit of my electronic know-how, but it worked.

           This composite photo displays the very high quality workmanship of the early club. We did not know what we were doing. On the left is the test bed for the brake and backup lights on the motorcycle camper, photo from 2013. Three relays, brakes and left/right turn signals. This was a major accomplishment for the day. On the right side is years later, the circuit being dismantled after tens of thousands of miles service. In a protective box, you can see the weathering and age. All because the original Chinese wiring was backwards.
           I’m thinking of building a fancier custom unit for all the 12V plugs and wiring on my console, using my current box skills just for comparison. Mostly, I can make corner joints and drill holes.

Last Laugh