Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 29, 2008


           Curious what this is? Good, because I’ll tell you. It made me a year older but I think I’ve got something barely in any textbook or instruction manual I’ve ever seen. Otherwise I would not have spent six hours running test cables back and forth through this trailer. This appears to be your standard wireless network service scan.
           Look closely, notice the two related networks, Palmetto 10 and Palmetto 15. That’s me. The third network is the mysterious West9037 who nobody around here knows.
           What you cannot see is the half-day required to link up this configuration. This should prove interesting reading even if you hate electronics. My plan is to set up a relay of two antennas to extend the range of the French guy’s wireless service, called “bridged mode”. It should be simple, except there are absolutely no instructions anywhere as to how this is done. So, I’ll tell you how I intend to proceed. Be aware that I have only enabled the wired connection, I have not yet been able to transmit any data.

           My thinking is an amalgamation of sorts. Anyone who has worked with a wireless router has noticed you can pick up the wireless signal from a hardwired computer. I know you can extend wireless coverage by connecting several AP (access points) along an Ethernet cable, I should be able to do the same with two routers. Except, I cannot find any directions to help me out.
           The router companies say the range is 150 feet under ideal conditions. Well, I’ve got some ideal conditions. Line of sight, 62 paces between two unused television antennas. The surplus routers are housed inside empty plastic gallon jugs and the plan is to run them up the poles the instant I establish contact here. I can stare from one IP to the other through the Ethernet but can’t log onto the routers as soon as I go wireless. But I’m close.
           That’s why I was all day running the cables. My question is, if I can 192 it with an Ethernet, why can’t I 192 wirelessly? Okay, just moments later, I got a connection. Was this luck? My entire theory is based on a single phrase found on page 107 of a beginner’s book, stating “Your router can be used as a router within a more complex network of other routers”.

           I got it, I got it, I got it. I am right now looking off-line at the router sitting on the work bench out in the Florida room. The signal decay through the metal walls is already apparent but I know where I can get some used satellite dishes. Now let’s see if I can peer through it backwards. One of the confusing aspects is that the wireless connection automatically tries to log onto the Internet using the default settings.
           So, if I connect either router to an Internet modem, I should have service. That is enough for one day. I am not pleased that, in the end, each step had to be accomplished by trial and error. Not one feature worked as the manufacturer said it would. I am unclear how transmitting two SSIDs will affect anything. Security is another matter, although my computer will be hard-wired so I’ll just disconnect the Ethernet when not in use.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++