Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 7, 1980

January 7, 1980

TRANSCRIBED:
           Once again I’m confirmed that some people never look over the next hill because they seriously don’t want to know what’s there. Heather spent the day getting on my case. I went to [the tax office] to write an exam, something I have a distinct opinion on. I stopped to see Rob. He’s looking toward Alberta again. He’s got to do something fast, as he is at the end of his rope.
           I talked to Carl about letting him fill in for me on Wed. and Thurs. Seems o.k. but it’s not even drop in the bucket when you consider how far Rob has let things fall behind. His application of October, when he was at the crest of his wave, for a Chargex, definitely fell through. I was there when he got the letter.
           So was Myra, incidentally. I wish him luck. I called Tina (Caparelli) and as usual, things were left in limbo. She’s like Judy (Minty), pretty, but a mixed blessing. Actually the situation if more the outcome of my indecisiveness and/or irresolution than the result of her disastrous boyfriend record. She just doesn’t fit into any pattern I recognize where one should act firmly.
           At this point, Heather and Scottie must have felt my ears burning. I walked while they were talking about me, but I didn’t catch a word. Just as well, for nothing interests less than the opinions of barflies. I met, or possibly re-met, a character calls himself Rick. A borderline case at the upper estimate. I suspect I’ve seem him elsewhere, as I felt something was familiar with his mannerisms.
           And in closing, no matter how disgusting people get when they’re drunk, nothing will match ther performance of those who “drink to get dumb”. It’s somewhat expensive eating in places which remain open after hours, but it amazes me folks as poor as some I know never cease to head there. Even in times of no unemployment checks. Which is the case with my illustrious roommate and her platonic drinking buddy.
           [Author’s note: It would be another ten years before I even bothered to get a credit card, so I called them all “chargex”. Tina was an amateur opera singer whose parents owned a pancake house. I should have married her. Alberta is the next state over from British Columbia, I took a semester of university there in the 70’s, driving north from Montana. That’s where I met Rob working for Halliburton. They put him in prison for drunk driving, in case you are wondering.]