Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 19, 2002

November 19, 2002

           Remember the early 90s? I looked at and rejected the gift basket business. Today I read a catalog with baskets ranging from about $20 to and I'm not making this up, $3000. For three large, I see you get some crackers and oak roasted smoked salmon. The basket is described as being “4 1/2 feet high”.
           In a belated birthday brunch, I hate over the Penrod's for a sandwich and a diet cola. Barring certain Canadian airports, that's the smallest $13 sandwich I've ever seen. It was bland, but the joint is famous. Bob's been the maintenance guy there for 17 plus years. So-so looking waitresses with tattoos.
           Richard poked in at 9 p.m. to say he'd seen the quarter million display and was impressed. Okay, but he's lucky I'm not a bureaucrat. How did he see them? (Jamie showed him.) Where did Jamie show them? (In my bedroom.) How did Jamie know they were in my bedroom? You get my point.
           [Richard Shaughnessy is fortyish and the unofficial press agent for Project 21. He is a long-term friend of Jamie's. Penrod’s Pearl Beach Inn at 50 South Pointe Drive, Miami Beach Florida. It must have a following since the food is a no-star.]
           [The gift baskets are no regret, I'm just shocked at the prices. The reason they're back in focus momentarily is because I was pointing out to Frank the reasons for rejecting that business, which are very close to the rules of Project 21. There are 16 rules, the top five are.
           1. No employees.
           2. Cash flow.
           3. No government regulation.
           4. Non-perishable goods.
           5. Portable, or at least transportable

           Gift baskets solidly break every rule I've learned, not about business, but about investing your own money. The example used is called Fabulous Baskets! 1-800 BASKET9 or www.fabulousbaskets.com. 5793 Commerce Lane Miami, FL 33143. Fabulous prices.]
           [Penrod Bob, 63, is from Guyana. A regular chap, but highly political. My political IQ is zero, but I do have opinions]
           Don't forget the daily gripe. I see the government has passed legislation to remove “barriers to” reading e-mail etc. I didn't know there were any. How many innocents will suffer? Weren't drivers licenses originally, just to prove you had passed the road test? And now look.
           I don't buy that “if you've got nothing to hide theory”, it's kindergarten thinking. There is no such thing as information that can't be used against you. If you want proof, write your phone number on the washroom wall of the Pentagon. My position is that all information is private to a degree, a large degree.
           [This came about when Richard mentioned he was fingerprinted for his job at the airlines. I disagree, but not because I have something to hide, rather they've got something to hide. They say it is just for the purposes of identification. That is a lie, and I can't agree with a lie. It was truly only for identification, they would settle for your toe prints.]