Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 1, 2002

December 1, 2002

           Project 21 marathon day, we finish, or learn the reasons why. I got Frank up at 10:30 a.m. for an 11:30 a.m. start. My investment in a set of real gauges (see below) pays off fast. I have an oil pressure problem and a short in the electrical. Later we did finish all but the trim by 9:30 p.m. Frank also finished all the Thanksgiving leftovers.
           Daily reading was “The Grand Tour”. I conclude that present universities evolved as a more economically to spread information, which explains to me why it costs so much. Jamie is talking about going back to school. Then she put up the Christmas lights.
           I see the situation in Venezuela is getting hot. Chavez had the right idea, but he seems to lack the logic to do things, to prompt change rather than enforce it. All this refers to Caracas; my people are safely 325 miles southeast of there.

           [[Author's note: my people are Ivan Gutierrez, 40, his wife, and son Nestor Daniel. Nestor is also my godson, he is around for now, but I haven't seen him since New Year's Day 2000. I suspect Ivan cracked up his car. He hasn't phoned in a while.
           The gauges referred to above is a rack mounted on my car. My Cadillac has 164, 095 miles on it. The idiot lights never did work, and I can't figure out why nobody makes an audible unit. Why not an oil gauge that beeps when there's a problem? Otherwise, it's the same set of gauges I first saw over 40 years ago.

           Yeah Frank tucked away those leftovers. I was going to say in one fell swoop, but Shakespeare annoys me. Especially the height of how many of these phrases like that it becomes stock. That's what happens to generation after generation who've been force-fed the stuff.
My reading is from “Perspectives in Western Civilization”, Volume 2, Larkin, Harper & Row, New York, 1985. I wanted the whole set, but it's classed “hard-to-find”. I like this series and because it covers ground at the exact speed I learn.
           In referring to Jamie going back to school, it's sad that that will never actually happen. The point I'm making however, is that if I had a job that paid $500 working one day a week, I never would've let school in the first place.]