Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 2, 2002

December 2, 2002


           [Author's note 2015-12-02: the quotation below is now formally associated with me and this blog, so you should quote me when you use it. This means you, Reader's Digest.]

           My hands and wrists should be healed in a week. Building display cases is physical labor, which I'd nearly forgotten. It is also my anniversary with the company, and already I make more than my last “career”. The difference is taxes. See below.
           I took Stacey to lunch at Wendy's (around 36th St. Northwest, and 120th in West Miami). All I read today was those little catalogs people bring to work, full of stuff I'll never buy, but occasionally you see something new.


           (This is redacted material.) Progress with Frank who is trying to learn database basics. I'm not sure. Well he's learned a lot about getting independent, he moves too fast into the advanced areas without securing a good information base. His suggestions usually involve something the other guy has to do or pay for. And the computer, he still can't balance a set of books with precision. Yet he's playing with pivot tables. He's exhibited this before, trying to chance upon something new by rearranging it randomly. He's already picked up my non-work habits.
           Just when I considered taking another crew cruise after all these years, the plague breaks out. For the record, I'm now at the age that I used to wonder why people that old went on cruises. I like singles cruises because some women's definition of “single” is a source of constant amusement. And disappointment.

           [Author's note: I had mildly sprained both my wrists. Not from actually doing the work at from listing the toothpick cases by myself. They have to be gripped on edge. They weigh 151 pounds each. My anniversary, I mean, today I was actually hired. I actually worked there close to a year and a half before. Although on paper, I am making only half the amount of my last job, taxation was so high back then, I was actually taking home less. I like states like Florida, with no personal income tax. I'll never get tired of saying it,

           “The most wonderful thing about America is that when I help my neighbor, it's my choice. Not my neighbors.”


           I did see something new in the catalog (see above). It was a global the world with the countries on pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. The globe was magnetic and the pieces were curved to fit the core.
           I was referring to Frank's usage of the computer I gave him. I showed him how to use Microsoft Excel, and within a week he was playing with pivot tables. I dislike pivot tables. To me, they represent that the user is not planned his work well in advance. Yet, what can I say Frank loves them.
           When I say he's picked up my habits, I mean he is now doing crossword puzzles and Scrabblegrams. It's interesting to watch them fly at these because he hasn't done what I've done to complete like a crossword in 20 minutes or get top word score in less than four minutes. Well, Frank. You kind of need to background first.

           Here is a World IQ Map. The alert user might ask what on earth happened to take South Africa from the top to the bottom of the scale.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++