Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, December 12, 2002

December 12, 2002


           Miami on a Thursday. The jackpot is $100 million. (There were four winners, see graphic.) So I ran the office pool a second time. It was annoying to hear the company stand on emergency leave. I don't personally need it, but if you do take emergency leave. You have to quit the company and reapply when you return. Tough luck for those who experienced disaster.
           Jamie Paige today to inform me she is not renewing the lease, but it is not a surprise. I am already planning on contacting Ilie’s and driving to work the extra half hour each day. The little lady is still probing, Bakshir has an apartment she can rent for $600 a month and she said that if I take it she’ll “have a place when she gets rid of [expletive deleted]. But, as far as I'm concerned, she can also meet me at Ilie’s.


           Now, more database. This is easier reading if one understands I am discussing the effects of information technology rather than teaching anyone how to do it. The spin off is by reading this, it not only will reveal the potential bad things people can do, but that I am against such usage, that is, against anything but the one-time usage of information for the original purpose for which it was voluntarily given. All else is abuse.
           Here goes. I'm amused by the many who think this database is as quaint and inflexible as the half dozen already in use. (There are a few (other) flat-file databases, but mine is the only relational database.) The other databases are not normalized, nor are they in the same format, that is, they can't share the information.
           Before, an employee with a bad attendance record need only transfer to another site to escape it. Now, my database reads like a driving abstract or a police record. It sticks, and that is wrong, so the database will not print a history, only a list of disciplinary actions. If you want a record, you must write up a disciplinary, which I know takes enough time to show you are serious.

           [Author's note: I believe this jackpot is the second-largest in Florida history, after the hundred and 6 million around 12 years ago. I undo nothing I've said about gambling, but I will assist in the mathematical analysis of risk. Each time I run the office pool. People are reminded of how poor their chances really are.]

           The emergency leave concerned, an employee whose mother is dying in Cuba, but the answer was still no. This is the first instance where I discovered that this company has a brutal policy over what would normally be a compassionate decision. I wonder what happened to cause this?

           I note that I'm reading a new book called “To the White Sea”, James Dickey, Houghton and Mifflin, New York, 1993. Same guy is wrote “Deliverance”. I remember his name better if he’d written “Dueling Banjos” instead.
           The database talk was about somebody asking for a report that gave a list of all employees with bad attendance. It can be done, but the database was purposely designed to print only individual records. Every time you have such a database, there is always some ass hat who wants to use it to snoop around. I can’t remember who asked, but I think it was that zero, Charlie F. Don’t worry; he hasn’t got the brains to design a query to get the information himself. They ran him off in 2005.

           [Author's note 2015-12-12: in the end, I didn’t take Bakshir’s apartment. The condo is for over 55 and they objected to my age. I didn’t argue. But I did note that although they had refused my application, they also refused to return it when I asked for it back. Good thing it was all nonsense. Verifiable nonsense, mind you. In the end, Ilie sort of disappeared. Just as well, for as much as I liked her, I did not care for the women she hung around with. Yes, they were you-know.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++